Visit For Marriage Visa

Wikiposts

Visit For Marriage Visa

Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

cardinalred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visit For Marriage Visa

Hey everybody,

Good News and a query from me today. I know this forum is for US visas, however, some of you seem to know a thing or two about transatlantic wedding stuff!

The great/fantastic news is that my fiancees 'visit for marriage' visa came through yesterday. Out of the massive info pack we gave to the courier they only took 4/5 bits of paper from it and we didn't need all the weighty info I compiled....still it got approved, and we were overjoyed!

Me being me, I asked my fiancee to send through a photo of the visa....looked good, until I saw my date of birth showed 1974 instead of 75!

So my questions are

1) will this single digit error on my date of birth result in her not being able to get into the country / married at the registry office

2) should we contact the embassy and let them know its wrong, and if so, do you think we'll have to re-submit the whole thing again? Or will we just be able to send the passport back and get it changed? Obviously, the Embassy is shut at weekends, so I can't actually call and find out for definite what the deal is until Tuesday now because of Columbus Day!

Just when I wanted to jump around the room with joy, now I'm sitting here with a furrowed brow wondering what to think.....

Any help / advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:20 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Visit For Marriage Visa

Get in touch with the issuing Embassy and let them know of their mistake.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Flyergirl,

As is the way with these things, the Embassy is closed at weekends and, typically, is also closed on Monday due to Columbus Day! So the earliest I can call is Tuesday! I'm wondering if the date-of-birth mistake was made by us on the form, or was the fault of the Embassy......I'm also wondering if this sort of error would stop my fiance getting into the country, or would mean the registrar over here would prevent us from getting married because of it....Yikes! I'm repeating myself (reaches for some herbal tea....)......<sigh>.......

Funny. At 4.30 pm yesterday my fiancee was crying with joy on the phone whilst I sat on a commuter packed train trying to curb my excitement.....by the 9pm I was sitting in front of my computer looking at the visa photos and had joy sink to 'oh what? Why 74?! It's 75!.....talk about roller-coaster....
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardinalred
1) will this single digit error on my date of birth result in her not being able to get into the country / married at the registry office
It will certainly not stop her from getting into the country, since your age simply isn't a factor when she goes through immigration. Further, I doubt it will be an issue at the reigstry office, since the registry office will likely only be concerned that she has the proper visa.

2) should we contact the embassy and let them know its wrong, and if so, do you think we'll have to re-submit the whole thing again?
It's prudent to contact the embassy to let them know, but...

I'm wondering if the date-of-birth mistake was made by us on the form, or was the fault of the Embassy
... didn't you keep a copy of the forms you submitted? First rule of immigration, keep multiple backup copies of *everything*!

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Cheers Ian,

Unfortunately, we didn't keep a copy of the form....

Having spoken to a few people round these parts, they also don't think it'll be a problem. Though I'd still like to know how it got to be wrong, and if these things can be rectified quite quickly/easily - eg. We send my fiancees passport back to the Embassy with the notarized copy of my passport. That should do the trick....

Anyone know the turnaround time for errors? I'm hoping its like 2-3 days.

Again, any knowledge on the subject is gratefully received!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If you never saw the visa photo ..you never would hve known ..
pretend you never saw it ..until she arrives ...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Nice one Ray - I like that idea - however, when there's an expensive (well, expensive to me !) on the line, I can't afford to take any chances.

So I called the Registry Office and explained the situation, and they advised me to call the Embassy to get it checked out. In turn, the UK version of the Embassy Call Center said they'd get the UK Embasy in L.A to call me back. Hopefully there won't be any problems/delays....

Thankfully, we HAVE got a copy of the submitted form, and at no point is my date-of-birth written anywhere. Surely this must mean that whoever processed it made the error - I don't mind, I just hope they're willing to rectify it, and QUIKCKLY!

Anyone else had experience of visa errors and the time taken to get them changed?! I'm ever-so-slightly kacking it (for want of a better word)...!

HELP!