Reload this Page >

Visit Canada as a K-1 Conditional Permanent Resident

Wikiposts

Visit Canada as a K-1 Conditional Permanent Resident

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Www.News.Us

Default Visit Canada as a K-1 Conditional Permanent Resident

Hi All,

My wife is a K-1 recipient and has been residing in the US since last November. I am
a US Citizen.

We are planning a weekend trip to Toronto so that we can visit some friends. She
has the paperwork so that she can leave and enter the United States again. Do we
need to get a Visa for her to enter Canada? If so, can someone point me to
information about this?

Thanks, Gary and Alina.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 7:20 pm
Michael Voight

Default Re: Visit Canada as a K-1 Conditional Permanent Resident

"www.news.us" wrote:
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My wife is a K-1 recipient and has been residing in the US since last November. I
    > am a US Citizen.
    >
    > We are planning a weekend trip to Toronto so that we can visit some friends. She
    > has the paperwork so that she can leave and enter the United States again. Do we
    > need to get a Visa for her to enter Canada? If so, can someone point me to
    > information about this?
    >
    > Thanks, Gary and Alina.

That would depend on what country she is a citizen of?

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 10:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your topic heading is confusing. Your wife is either a conditional permanent resident or a K-1 recipient. Has she had her AOS interview yet and if so, has it been approved and the I-551 stamp placed in her passport? If not, then if she required a visa to visit Canada before, then she will still require a visa now.

This is what I believe is true if she is not a permanent resident yet. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Rete
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 12:20 am
Mrtravel

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Your topic heading is confusing. Your wife is either a conditional permanent
    > resident or a K-1 recipient. Has she had her AOS interview yet and if so, has it
    > been approved and the I-551 stamp placed in her passport? If not, then if she
    > required a visa to visit Canada before, then she will still require a visa now.
    >
    > This is what I believe is true if she is not a permanent resident yet. Someone will
    > correct me if I am wrong.

Being a PR wouldn't eliminate the visa requirement. My wife is a PR and still needs a
visa to go to Canada.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 12:20 am
Www.News.Us

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Rete wrote:
    > >
    > > Your topic heading is confusing. Your wife is either a conditional permanent
    > > resident or a K-1 recipient. Has she had her AOS interview yet and if so, has it
    > > been approved and the I-551 stamp placed in her passport? If not, then if she
    > > required a visa to visit Canada before, then she will still require a visa now.
    > >
    > > This is what I believe is true if she is not a permanent resident yet. Someone
    > > will correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    > Being a PR wouldn't eliminate the visa requirement. My wife is a PR and still needs
    > a visa to go to Canada.

Thanks. What is the process to get a Canadian visa?

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 1:21 am
Mrtravel

"www.news.us" wrote:
    >
    > > Being a PR wouldn't eliminate the visa requirement. My wife is a PR and still
    > > needs a visa to go to Canada.
    >
    > Thanks. What is the process to get a Canadian visa?

Visa information is generally most accurate when obtained directly from a consulate
or Embassy of the country you are visiting, or from their main State Department
office equivalent.

Here is a good site, CIC is the office that handles visas.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Links from there will tell you that a person from Ukraine will need a visa to visit.

Locations for places to apply (Consulate, Embassy, High Commission) are listed at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/offices/missions.html In the US, that would be Buffalo,
Detroit, LA, NYC, Seattle, and Washington). There are links for each city.

Visa application and guide are located at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visa.html The guide says it takes about a
month. It also says to allow 8 weeks if doing it by mail.

BTW, all I did to get here was enter "visa canada" into Google. It was near the top
of the list. Search engines like the one at www.google.com can be very effective.

Good luck

Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:20 am
Sophie T

The CIC site you listed very plainly states that permanent residents of the US do not
need a visa to visit. It's listed under Visitor Visa Exemptions. It says: "persons
lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession
of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of
permanent residence."

Is that incorrect?

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "www.news.us" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Being a PR wouldn't eliminate the visa requirement. My wife is a PR
and
    > > > still needs a visa to go to Canada.
    > >
    > > Thanks. What is the process to get a Canadian visa?
    >
    > Visa information is generally most accurate when obtained directly from a consulate
    > or Embassy of the country you are visiting, or from their main State Department
    > office equivalent.
    >
    > Here is a good site, CIC is the office that handles visas.
    >
    > http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/
    >
    > Links from there will tell you that a person from Ukraine will need a visa
    > to visit.
    >
    > Locations for places to apply (Consulate, Embassy, High Commission) are listed at
    > http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/offices/missions.html In the US, that would be
    > Buffalo, Detroit, LA, NYC, Seattle, and Washington). There are links for each city.
    >
    > Visa application and guide are located at:
    >
    > http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/visa.html The guide says it takes about a
    > month. It also says to allow 8 weeks if doing it by mail.
    >
    > BTW, all I did to get here was enter "visa canada" into Google. It was near the top
    > of the list. Search engines like the one at www.google.com can be very effective.
    >
    > Good luck

Old Jul 24th 2002, 8:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Sophie. That was my take on the PR status and visits to Canada as is the same for Canadian landed status and visits to the US by persons who formally required visas to visit.

The residency status of either country eliminates the need for a visa.

Rita