Which visas..we're so confused :(

Wikiposts

Which visas..we're so confused :(

Old May 13th 2008, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Widgettte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which visas..we're so confused :(

Hi everyone

I've been reading though alot of the posts here, but im still very confused. Here is my story.

My partner and I lived together for 3 years when I was living in the UK (I'm american). I've since decided that I should come back to the USA. My partner is still in the UK. We are not engaged, we both feel it's not quite time for that. He works for Royal Mail, and is also disabled. We want very much to be together and he is willing to come to america to live and work to be with me and my daughter. He's 30 and im 29. (don't know if that helps anything at all) We don't feel it's fair to get married jus so he can come to the usa then for it later to possibly fall apart due to homesickness etc. Which visas if any would be the best route for us??

Let me know if there's more information i can give that may help.

Thanks loads
Old May 13th 2008, 3:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which visas..we're so confused :(

Originally Posted by Widgettte
Hi everyone

I've been reading though alot of the posts here, but im still very confused. Here is my story.

My partner and I lived together for 3 years when I was living in the UK (I'm american). I've since decided that I should come back to the USA. My partner is still in the UK. We are not engaged, we both feel it's not quite time for that. He works for Royal Mail, and is also disabled. We want very much to be together and he is willing to come to america to live and work to be with me and my daughter. He's 30 and im 29. (don't know if that helps anything at all) We don't feel it's fair to get married jus so he can come to the usa then for it later to possibly fall apart due to homesickness etc. Which visas if any would be the best route for us??

Let me know if there's more information i can give that may help.

Thanks loads
Well....you get married or he most probably isn't coming. Three years should have been long enough to work out whether you should give it a go or not.

And BTW, life sometimes ain't fair. Use your vote wisely this fall.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well....you get married or he most probably isn't coming. Three years should have been long enough to work out whether you should give it a go or not.

And BTW, life sometimes ain't fair. Use your vote wisely this fall.
I was happy livin in the UK until my oldest daughter fell ill here in the usa, so i returned. He wants me to go back to the uk, which is going to be difficult for me, concidering i have to apply for visas for me and my daughters...We did not expect the sudden change in circumstances
Old May 13th 2008, 3:11 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

One of the amazing things about this big immigration adventure is it makes you look your partner in the eye and wonder, is this it? Instead of dating, living together or having a long engagement, its make a decision or move on.

After three years I had to decide if I let my husband return to the States or marry and go with him, we have been married four years this week.

Its time to make a decision there is no extended dating visa. Good luck.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

I've had one failed marriage which is the reason for my reluctance in marriage.

Another question...IF he were to come here on a fiances visa or whatever it's called (all the letters and numbers confuses the hell out of me) it's for 6 months correct? and we must wed in 90 days?

If that is the case, if we did marry within the 90 days, we then apply for a spouses visa. This is where the confusion really takes hold. Do we apply for that visa while he is still here in the usa after the marriage takes place, or must he return to the uk and wait a year before getting the visa???
Old May 13th 2008, 3:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I was happy livin in the UK until my oldest daughter fell ill here in the usa, so i returned. He wants me to go back to the uk, which is going to be difficult for me, concidering i have to apply for visas for me and my daughters...We did not expect the sudden change in circumstances
Applying to live in the UK as the spouse or prospective spouse of a UK citizen is a walk in the park compared with the UK citizen coming to the US under similar circumstances.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read through this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

This explains all the different visas available to come to the USA. If you aren't willing to get married, and he doesn't qualify for any of the other ones, you are stuck living on different continents, with a visit now and then.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had one failed marriage which is the reason for my reluctance in marriage.

Another question...IF he were to come here on a fiances visa or whatever it's called (all the letters and numbers confuses the hell out of me) it's for 6 months correct? and we must wed in 90 days?

If that is the case, if we did marry within the 90 days, we then apply for a spouses visa. This is where the confusion really takes hold. Do we apply for that visa while he is still here in the usa after the marriage takes place, or must he return to the uk and wait a year before getting the visa???
The fiance visa is good for 6 months. That means once the visa is issued to him in London, he has 6 months to use it for a SINGLE entry to the USA, with the sole purpose of marrying you within 90 days of his arrival.

After that, he doesn't need a visa anymore, he's already in the USA. After you marry, you fill out a set of paperwork to make him a US Permanent Resident, which is what allows him to live and work in the USA permanently.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Applying to live in the UK as the spouse or prospective spouse of a UK citizen is a walk in the park compared with the UK citizen coming to the US under similar circumstances.
no kidding :|

thanks everyone for your help but still doesn't answer my other q's
Old May 13th 2008, 3:22 pm

As fatbrit said, someone will have to apply for a visa. Either you and your daughter, to live in the UK (which from what I understand takes a month or so, if that)....or he applies for a visa to live in the USA, which takes around 10 months to process. Of course you have to be married either way.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 3:23 pm

no kidding :|

thanks everyone for your help but still doesn't answer my other q's
What other questions do you have which we haven't answered?
Old May 13th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The fiance visa is good for 6 months. That means once the visa is issued to him in London, he has 6 months to use it for a SINGLE entry to the USA, with the sole purpose of marrying you within 90 days of his arrival.

After that, he doesn't need a visa anymore, he's already in the USA. After you marry, you fill out a set of paperwork to make him a US Permanent Resident, which is what allows him to live and work in the USA permanently.

Rene
that is what i wanted to hear!!!!! I LOVE YOU NORA lol jk

seriously that makes me feel so much better, most of the information that we've been reading is saying he has to return to the uk to apply for the spouses visa -.-
Old May 13th 2008, 3:24 pm

that is what i wanted to hear!!!!! I LOVE YOU NORA lol jk

seriously that makes me feel so much better, most of the information that we've been reading is saying he has to return to the uk to apply for the spouses visa -.-
That's only if he comes to the USA on a VWP and marries you...THEN he would need to return to the UK to get a spouse immigrant visa.

If he enters the USA with the K-1 fiance visa, he can apply for permanent residency and stay after that.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That's only if he comes to the USA on a VWP and marries you...THEN he would need to return to the UK to get a spouse immigrant visa.

If he enters the USA with the K-1 fiance visa, he can apply for permanent residency and stay after that.

Rene
thank you, that clears up alot of questions that i was about to ask you..

let me double check, fiance's visa..might take 10 months to process..then within 90 days of being here on his 6 months visa we wed, which then he's in the usa, he doesn't need to return to the uk, but we do need to fill out loads of paperwork for him to live and work etc here in the usa?...i think my brain just exploded lol
Old May 13th 2008, 3:32 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that he wants you to live in the UK does not bode well for him coming to the US. I'd also have a guess at saying medical insurance may not be as straight forward/cheap depending on his disability.

Marriage may be a big step but I'd say it's no bigger than living in another country knowing very few people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.