Visa K1

Old Sep 9th 2002, 10:52 am
Nicolas Dufour

Default Visa K1

Hi again

Just a simple question .. i read a lot of email in this newsgroup about the visa K1
.. what is this visa and for what situation ?

Thanks

Nicolas Dufour

Old Sep 9th 2002, 11:06 am
Steggy

Default Re: Visa K1

Nicolas Dufour wrote:
    > Hi again
    > Just a simple question .. i read a lot of email in this newsgroup about the visa K1
    > .. what is this visa and for what situation ?
    > Thanks
    > Nicolas Dufour

K-1 Visa is also known as a fiance(e) visa. When you live in France (in your
case), your girlfriend in America needs to apply for that, she just needs to fill
in some forms. The US Ambassee (or a Consulate) in France will then contact you.
You need to fill in al lot of forms, they will invite you to come over, you will
undergo a medical examination, and a few says later you will receive your K-1 visa.
With that visa you may enter the United States, and then make sure to be married
within three months. And get a work permit at the Immigration office and a Social
Securtity number.

Then the Greencard procedure starts. You have to file tour marriage certificate and
of course more forms (). After that it is waiting till they have time to interview
you and your wife. If everything is OK, you will get the Greencard. But in the
meantime you may work, study and whatever.

This is really preferable above just coming over and getting married here. That
gives a lot of hassle, like I said before: one of the thins is you may not leave the
US and re-enter it until you have your Greencard and that can take two years.
Starting off from France is the best way. I did it from Holland, and besides all the
forms and the medical etcetera no real problems and you do not need a lawyer to go
through that process..

For starters take a look here:

<http://www.ins.usdoj.gov>
--
steg

Old Sep 9th 2002, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Jay S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa K1

This is a fiance(e) visa. I am in the process as right now. My US fiancee applied to INS to bring me to the states with the intent of getting married.

There are several steps involved. First she applies to the service center which has juristiction over her state. If that is approved, then I have to apply in person at a US embassy in my own country. If that is approved, I can move to the states, where upon entry, we have 90 days to get married. After that I can apply for an Adjustment of Status and eventually get a green card. If we don't get married within 90 days, I have to leave the country.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Nicolas Dufour:
Hi again

Just a simple question .. i read a lot of email in this newsgroup about the visa K1
.. what is this visa and for what situation ?

Thanks

Nicolas Dufour