British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Visa Journey & USCIS timelines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/visa-journey-uscis-timelines-903653/)

shrinkydinkydoo Sep 21st 2017 1:19 pm

Visa Journey & USCIS timelines

How accurate are the timelines on these websites? USCIS, with the exception of Nebraska service center, is reporting processing I-130 petitions 3 months behind what VJ is reporting they're working on.

Jack8602 Sep 21st 2017 2:09 pm

Re: Visa Journey & USCIS timelines

VJ use the same data you have access to - they have no more insight into USCIS processing times than anyone else. They use formula's based on members data submissions to estimate the times.

USCIS website is going to be the most accurate source, but they only update once a month.

gad33 Sep 21st 2017 5:03 pm

Visa Journey is as accurate as the information provided by members.
IMO USCIS is accurate.

Rete Sep 21st 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by gad33 (Post 12343455)
Visa Journey is as accurate as the information provided by members.
IMO USCIS is accurate.

:goodpost:

civilservant Sep 21st 2017 7:52 pm

Visa Journey is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Period. Most of the people on that site really have no clue what they are talking about.

rpjs Sep 21st 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by gad33 (Post 12343455)
IMO USCIS is accurate.

I disagree. It currently says that on July 31st the NYC field office was processing N-400s filed in October 2016. I filed mine at the end of December and had my citizenship interview on August 2nd.

S Folinsky Sep 21st 2017 9:22 pm

When I was in practice the two most common questions were "how long?" and "where is my work permit?" Quite reasonable questions, but really incapable of cogent answers. The acronym of "YMMV" applies.

Something stupid may happen to YOUR case. (e.g. officer approves case and accidentally pushes the denial button).

Those timelines are indications only.

shrinkydinkydoo Sep 22nd 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12343582)
Visa Journey is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Period. Most of the people on that site really have no clue what they are talking about.

Chocolate tea pots do sound good though...

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 12343636)
When I was in practice the two most common questions were "how long?" and "where is my work permit?" Quite reasonable questions, but really incapable of cogent answers. The acronym of "YMMV" applies.

What does YMMV stand for?

Also, can someone tell me what RFE stands for?

civilservant Sep 22nd 2017 12:22 pm

YMMV - Your mileage may vary.

RFE - Request For Evidence.

iarnell Sep 22nd 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12343582)

Yes, you have to take a lot of what you read there with a pinch of salt, but it certainly has its uses - especially if you're not migrating from the UK (or not British, but then what are you doing here?). BE may be better quality, but has very little to offer when it comes to getting medicals and interviews in foreign parts.

civilservant Sep 22nd 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by iarnell (Post 12343989)
Yes, you have to take a lot of what you read there with a pinch of salt, but it certainly has its uses - especially if you're not migrating from the UK (or not British, but then what are you doing here?). BE may be better quality, but has very little to offer when it comes to getting medicals and interviews in foreign parts.

Yes I would have to agree there. BE is a niche market in that it is expressly directed towards us Brits. However we can and have advised people from elsewhere on US Immigration before.

Horses for courses one supposes.

gad33 Sep 22nd 2017 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12343603)
I disagree. It currently says that on July 31st the NYC field office was processing N-400s filed in October 2016. I filed mine at the end of December and had my citizenship interview on August 2nd.

So do I LOL. I meant is NOT accurate. Obviously checking before posting is not one of my strong points.

Twinkle0927 Sep 23rd 2017 2:04 am

But it doesn't matter which one is accurate or not accurate. Each case is different. Even if VJ had 1000 people all reporting exactly when they filed, when they were approved, etc accurately to the minute, your case could be quicker or slower for no reason whatsoever. I befriended someone during the process whose petition arrived at the Phoenix lockbox on the same UPS truck as ours did. They were signed for by the same person at the same time. His was approved 2 months before mine.

S Folinsky Sep 23rd 2017 5:08 am

An anecdote I like to relate from when I was a very young lawyer:

Green card holder was petitioning for his identical twin daughters. He was from a country which recorded births on family census registers. So the I-130's were identical in all respects except for personal name.

One was approved in 21 days, the other took nine months.

KK85 Sep 23rd 2017 9:47 am

I do enjoy perusing VisaJourney for the user spreadsheets, to get a vague indication of current timelines (I consider it a guilty pleasure, though, and not a source of valid info), but everybody's sentiments here are right - each case is different, and we shouldn't get our hopes up (or have them quashed!) by other people's experiences. Twinkle's story is a shining example of this.

BE is the gospel, for me, when it comes to research, case studies, and answers to any questions, for precisely the reason civilservant points out: it's tailored for Brits, and that makes one hell of a difference. The timescales and processes can vary from country to country, so having all the info we need in one place is so valuable. Our gurus here are also far more knowledgeable than those I see on VisaJourney. And with all due respect to people who don't speak English as a first language and who are trying their best to communicate in it, I've noticed that the language barrier can cause a lot of confusion on VisaJourney. I feel for those who are trying to navigate this process when English is not their mother tongue - it must be especially difficult.