Reload this Page >

Visa Interview Question

Wikiposts

Visa Interview Question

Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:11 pm
Dullard

mrnelson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Interview Question

I have received my date for a visa interview, and I'm super excited/nervous.

Can anyone tell me, is my USC wife allowed to come to the interview with me?

Is it adviseable that she is there?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Interview Question

Interview for what?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:23 pm
Dullard

Originally Posted by AlanR
Interview for what?
Oh crap, there are different types?

It's the interview that you get invited to after sending in the DS-230 Part 1 and the checklist...

Does that help at all?

Edit: Oh man I suck at this.... It's a visa interview at the London Embassy.

Last edited by mrnelson; Jan 25th 2009 at 11:23 pm. Reason: I'm stupid
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrnelson

It's the interview that you get invited to after sending in the DS-230 Part 1 and the checklist...

Does that help at all?

Does indeed. Yes, by all means, your wife may go with you. She won't be able to answer questions asked of you but she might be asked a question or two of her own. Take her and spend a great day in London after your interview.

BTW everyone who has gone through the process will tell you how much of a let down it is. Do a search of recent stories by doing a search here for DCF or Consulate Interview or CR-1 Visa success.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:16 am
Dullard

Originally Posted by Rete
Does indeed. Yes, by all means, your wife may go with you. She won't be able to answer questions asked of you but she might be asked a question or two of her own. Take her and spend a great day in London after your interview.

BTW everyone who has gone through the process will tell you how much of a let down it is. Do a search of recent stories by doing a search here for DCF or Consulate Interview or CR-1 Visa success.
Thanks a lot. I'll take a look at those entries.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't go back to your older posts to see what visa you applied for, but it's most likely an Immigrant Visa (or possibly a K-3).

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:54 am
Dullard

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I didn't go back to your older posts to see what visa you applied for, but it's most likely an Immigrant Visa (or possibly a K-3).

Rene
I think it must be an immigrant visa, my wife is a USC and we're looking to make a permanent move to the US.

I have to say I find some parts of this process utterly bemusing, I don't how anybody gets through this process without websites like this...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Does that help at all?

OK - that helps. And you've had experienced replies ahead of mine (work is the ruin of the drinking classes; it's lunch time now). Other possible interviews for US immigration purposes are the Adjustment of Status (AOS) one or that for citizenship following a N-400 application. Hence my question.
Seems you're going through a normal US Embassy spouse visa one (the other London interview could be for a K-1 fiance(e) visa, for example...).
As others point out, the interview is normally trivial if there are no glaring errors in the paperwork or there is no criminal background to deal with. 90 - 180 seconds.... The wait time is obviously the issue (don't take a cell phone with you or leave it outside). Yes, your wife can come but won't be asked any questions (as it'syour application). For the AOS mentioned above then both attend (in the US) and both may be questioned. For the N-400 interview then only the applicant for US citizenship will be interviewed (again the spouse can wait).
And last but not least, length of marriage has an impact if less or more than 2years.
If I've got something slightly or glaringly wrong above, a more pedantic (and experienced) poster will surely correct me!
Good luck and welcome to the US soon! The fun will commence when you arrive. Drive DMV/RMV....
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Does that help at all?

Wasn't there a place on your 'ready for interview' letter that indicated if anyone else would be attending with you? I think your AmCit can attend but needs to let them know ahead of time, for getting through security.

Someone has just posted about this recently... I'll add back if I turn it up.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wasn't there a place on your 'ready for interview' letter that indicated if anyone else would be attending with you? I think your AmCit can attend but needs to let them know ahead of time, for getting through security.

Someone has just posted about this recently... I'll add back if I turn it up.
Hi,

I had a K1 interview recently. There is space I think on the 'ready for interview' letter (or you're supposed to let them know by letter or email if your USC wife/fiancee etc is coming), however I didn't and she was allowed in by showing her US Passport.

Probably better to be safe than sorry though and let them know.

Paul
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:46 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

mrn,

A K3 non-immigrant visa, as Rene mentions, accomplishes the same objective. With some extra effort once you arrive in the USA.

You really do need to understand what it is you're doing.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
I think it must be an immigrant visa, my wife is a USC and we're looking to make a permanent move to the US.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's just a little stressed today. He knows what he's applying for. Mostly.

mrnelson is applying for an Immigrant Visa via DCF London.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I have received my date for a visa interview, and I'm super excited/nervous.

Can anyone tell me, is my USC wife allowed to come to the interview with me?

Is it adviseable that she is there?
Hi:

London is one of those consulates which does allow the spouse to come in. By all means, have her come to the window with you -- if the ConOff says "not necessary" just smile and she should sit down away from the window.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:08 pm
Dullard

Thanks again guys, it looks like this has all become a moot point now, as my wife has a big presentation at work that day and can't get the time off.

So I guess I'll be flying solo.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:47 am

Thanks again guys, it looks like this has all become a moot point now, as my wife has a big presentation at work that day and can't get the time off.

So I guess I'll be flying solo.
Awww.. you'll see, it's frequently described as an anti-climax anyway. Do some searching around here for 'interview experience' and you'll find plenty of descriptions of what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.