Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa approved! Quick report.

Visa approved! Quick report.

Old Jun 15th 2018, 9:50 am
Just Joined

CaptainTom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa approved! Quick report.

Morning folks, just thought I'd say thanks for the help people have given me over the last few months. This place has been invaluable!

Super quick report.
I filed the I-130 on 25th of January 2018 and had my "interview" the last week in May. All went very smoothly, appointment was scheduled for 11am, I turned up at 10.40. I was given a number at reception and sent upstairs to wait. Within 10 mins they called me to a window where my documents were checked. Everything was ok, however I'd only included my short form birth certificate, he asked if I had my full one with me which I didn't. He didn't seem concerned though and photocopied stuff and then sent me to the next window to pay, and I sat down again. I was called up to another window by a lovely American lady, I made the oath, she asked me a question about our marriage and what my plans were and that was it, took maybe 2 minutes. I was back on the tube by 11.20. My big envelope and passport with the new visa page turned up about a week later.

One thing to note, the Embassy told me I need to activate my PR within 6 months, but I have 12 MONTHS after activating it to relocate. I thought it was 6, so that takes the pressure off a little with regard to employment.

So right now I'm job hunting in California. Which seems to be harder than I expected, I'm a software developer, but struggling to find anyone who'll show any interest until I'm actually living there We'll see how it goes, I'm not in a big rush.

Thanks again, and I wish you all luck with your journeys.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa approved! Quick report.

Originally Posted by CaptainTom
Morning folks, just thought I'd say thanks for the help people have given me over the last few months. This place has been invaluable!

Super quick report.
I filed the I-130 on 25th of January 2018 and had my "interview" the last week in May. All went very smoothly, appointment was scheduled for 11am, I turned up at 10.40. I was given a number at reception and sent upstairs to wait. Within 10 mins they called me to a window where my documents were checked. Everything was ok, however I'd only included my short form birth certificate, he asked if I had my full one with me which I didn't. He didn't seem concerned though and photocopied stuff and then sent me to the next window to pay, and I sat down again. I was called up to another window by a lovely American lady, I made the oath, she asked me a question about our marriage and what my plans were and that was it, took maybe 2 minutes. I was back on the tube by 11.20. My big envelope and passport with the new visa page turned up about a week later.

One thing to note, the Embassy told me I need to activate my PR within 6 months, but I have 12 MONTHS after activating it to relocate. I thought it was 6, so that takes the pressure off a little with regard to employment.

So right now I'm job hunting in California. Which seems to be harder than I expected, I'm a software developer, but struggling to find anyone who'll show any interest until I'm actually living there :( We'll see how it goes, I'm not in a big rush.

Thanks again, and I wish you all luck with your journeys.
That's the biggest problem, most companies will just file applications from people from outside the country in the round bin by the side of the desk, it's nor something peculiar to the US. Feet on the ground and it's easier, at least you have the advantage of already having a visa.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:12 am
Just Joined

CaptainTom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That's the biggest problem, most companies will just file applications from people from outside the country in the round bin by the side of the desk, it's nor something peculiar to the US. Feet on the ground and it's easier, at least you have the advantage of already having a visa.
Yeah, you're right. I think I might be better scheduling a couple of weeks over there to make some calls and visits.

Compared to the UK they seem to over use automated job application systems that root out "unsuitable" candidates before anyone even sees the resume.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 4:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The Embassy is wrong. You need to activate the visa within 6 months of the date of the MEDICAL. You can turn around and leave but any amount of time over 6 months outside of the US might be determined at the POE as an abandonment of status. Unless you have a house in the US or an active rental apartment, active bank account, etc. in the US, you are not showing that you have ties to the US and no, your wife does not count as a tie.

As you have noted, finding employment from aboard is not as easy as finding employment while you are living in the US. Please think carefully before you potentially take the next 18 months to start your life in the US, i.e. coming to the US in month 6 and then leaving and not returning until month 12.