Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Validity of a UK Police Record for K1 Visa

Wikiposts

Validity of a UK Police Record for K1 Visa

Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:00 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Validity of a UK Police Record for K1 Visa

Hi there,

I have been looking into the requirements of the Police Record to take to the US Embassy in London with me when I get called for an interview for the final stages of the K1 visa application.

My query is how long is a Police Report valid for, once it's issued by New Scotland Yard? How long before the interview should I apply for it?

Am I also right in assuming that the form I am using (going on the US Embassy Website) is Police National Computer Form (Form 3019B) which is found on http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

Cheers,
Adam
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validity of a UK Police Record for K1 Visa

Originally Posted by Knight
Hi there,

I have been looking into the requirements of the Police Record to take to the US Embassy in London with me when I get called for an interview for the final stages of the K1 visa application.

My query is how long is a Police Report valid for, once it's issued by New Scotland Yard? How long before the interview should I apply for it?

Am I also right in assuming that the form I am using (going on the US Embassy Website) is Police National Computer Form (Form 3019B) which is found on http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

Cheers,
Adam
Obtain the form,fill it in for each person,passports etc,£10 per record and send if off to Data Protection Unit,Met Police,Braodway London SW1H0BG.It will take at least 40 (forty) days to return.No sooner, you have to wait it, wont come any sooner ringing them.I think it last for 12 months but absolutely sure.Hope it helps.

Last edited by Sue; Mar 11th 2007 at 3:11 am. Reason: Virus infected url removed
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:37 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Obtain the form,fill it in for each person,passports etc,£10 per record and send if off to Data Protection Unit,Met Police,Braodway London SW1H0BG.It will take at least 40 (forty) days to return.No sooner, you have to wait it, wont come any sooner ringing them.I think it last for 12 months but absolutely sure.Hope it helps.
So in *theory* I will be able to apply for this now and get it out of the way with (and hope I don't commit any other offences between the date it's issued and the interview date!).

Thanks for the clarification.
Adam

Last edited by Sue; Mar 11th 2007 at 3:12 am. Reason: Virus infected url removed
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Cheers,
Adam
That is is a metpol form ..If you live elsewhere in the UK
i.e. not London ...apply at your local police department
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, the police report is good for 1 year.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As far as I know, the police report is good for 1 year.

Rene

Yup, Noorah is right, valid for twelve months.

I applied for mine at my local police station. I explained what I needed the records for, and what I needed stated on the certificate I require (in fact I took the letter the NVC sent me stating the requirements).

My certificate took around 28 working days to arrive in my post box. It would be a good idea to knock this part on the head as soon as you can, becuse when you recieve your letter inviting you for an interview, you may not get enough time to get the police records in place. If you do it soon, you'll have no problems I'm sure.

Ca_Bound
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:54 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Yup, Noorah is right, valid for twelve months.

I applied for mine at my local police station. I explained what I needed the records for, and what I needed stated on the certificate I require (in fact I took the letter the NVC sent me stating the requirements).

My certificate took around 28 working days to arrive in my post box. It would be a good idea to knock this part on the head as soon as you can, becuse when you recieve your letter inviting you for an interview, you may not get enough time to get the police records in place. If you do it soon, you'll have no problems I'm sure.

Ca_Bound
I called my local police station.

I was told what I needed was called a CRB Check, and she gave me the details of a station in a town near me that takes care of them.

Does this sound right? I may have confused her over what I need.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:20 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I called my local police station.

I was told what I needed was called a CRB Check, and she gave me the details of a station in a town near me that takes care of them.

Does this sound right? I may have confused her over what I need.
Hmm... I googled "CRB Check" and found the following:

What is the CRB?

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), an Executive Agency of the Home Office, provides wider access to criminal record information through its Disclosure service. This service enables organisations in the public, private and voluntary sectors to make safer recruitment decisions by identifying candidates who may be unsuitable for certain work, especially that involve children or vulnerable adults. The CRB was established under Part V of the Police Act 1997 and was launched in March 2002.

That doesn't sound like what you need.

I would follow the instructions on the London Consulate's website:

How to obtain a police certificate for the United Kingdom

~ Jenney
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

londongirl61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I applied for my police cert. in Jan this year. I went to my local police station (London area), explained that I need police cert. for immigration purposes.

They told me that I needed a "subject access" cert. I filled in the form they gave me, name(s), dob and addresses that I have lived in since the age of 16. Provided the officer with proof of my identity (passport) and address (bank statements, utility bills) parted with £10.00.

Received the subject access cert, about 4 weeks later. Took this with me to my interview (was nervous that it was not the correct cert.) but it was.

Interview went fine.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:52 pm
Twice half his height

Subject Access Check, that was the key phrase I needed.

I just called Northumbria Police instead of my local tin pot police station, and they said what I needed was not the CRB check that I had originally been told, but a subject access check.

Unfortunetaly, I now have to drive to another local station to get them to check my ID, didn't want to send originals through the post and they wouldn't accept copies.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. One step closer.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You need the Subject Access check. CRB checks are for employment NOT migration.

Polly
(used to do the police checks!)
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:05 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Validity of a UK Police Record for K1 Visa

You need to go to your local police station and get a Subject Access Check. You also have to MAKE SURE it lists ALL possible offences and doesn't exclude ones that are 'expired.' Unless you do this, the US Embassy won't accept it.

I nearly learned the hard way. I used a private screening firm to get mine in plenty of time - payed them £29. The DAY BEFORE my visa interview, I found out the screening I got wouldn't have been accepted.

I was lucky enough to talk to the Hampshire Constabulary who rushed through a Subject Access Check and got it to me before the interview.

If it wasn't for them doing that AMAZING act of kindness, I would have blown my interview. So PHEW.

Local police. Subject Access Check check including possible 'expired' offences. It's the ONLY thing the US Embassy will accept.

I'd never been naughty in the UK and now am in proud possession of my green card!

Good luck.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:42 am
Twice half his height

I just got my Subject Access Check back today (applied for it on 14th March). Am I remembering correctly that the document they are looking for is the one with the blue strip at the top and bottom of the document?