Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it valid divorce in Las Vegas when married in New York?

Wikiposts

Is it valid divorce in Las Vegas when married in New York?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

frustrated is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it valid divorce in Las Vegas when married in New York?

Hi, everyone:
I have a very bad marriage, and I really want to end it soon.
So my friends suggest me to divorce in Las Vegas, it is much faster and easier.
But I can't afford too much mistake here since I am applying for 10 years green card, and I have to file I751 waiver with lots of document later.
We married for 3 years, I got conditional green card only 1 year ago.
I don't like illegal process, can anyone help me understand that the divorce in Las Vegas will be valid even though the marriage happened in New York City?
Does anyone have experience of filing I751 waiver by yourself without a lawyer? I can't afford an expensive lawyer for what I had done nothing wrong. How to start and what to prepare?

Last edited by frustrated; Mar 6th 2009 at 10:09 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it valid divorce in Las Vegas when married in New York?

Originally Posted by frustrated
Hi, everyone:
But I can't afford too much mistake here since I am applying for 10 years green card, and I have to file I751 waiver with lots of document later.
I don't like illegal process, can anyone help me understand that the divorce in Las Vegas will be valid even though the marriage happened in New York City?
Does anyone have experience of filing I751 waiver by yourself without a lawyer? I can't afford an expensive lawyer for what I had done nothing wrong. How to start and what to prepare?
Why not just file for divorce in NY? As soon as the divorce is final, and you have the final divorce decree in hand, you can file an I-751 with waiver.

Do a search on posts by milan and Poppy Girl. They both did I-751 with the waiver. Milan used a lawyer, not sure about Poppy Girl.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why not just file for divorce in NY? As soon as the divorce is final, and you have the final divorce decree in hand, you can file an I-751 with waiver.

Do a search on posts by milan and Poppy Girl. They both did I-751 with the waiver. Milan used a lawyer, not sure about Poppy Girl.

Rene
There is one year seperation before NY divorce final, I wish to end it soon and get out of it, really want to cry now.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is one year seperation before NY divorce final, I wish to end it soon and get out of it, really want to cry now.
I don't know the specifics of getting a divorce in Las Vegas, but I think it should be possible. Check into it anyway. Try using google, and type in "las vegas divorce", and see what the requirements are.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

I don't know the specifics of getting a divorce in Las Vegas, but I think it should be possible. Check into it anyway. Try using google, and type in "las vegas divorce", and see what the requirements are.

Rene
I can divorce in Las Vegas, but I am trying to understand if this will affect my application for 10 years greencard when filing I751 waiver.
Anyway, is the divorce decree valid for the requirement.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:42 pm

I can divorce in Las Vegas, but I am trying to understand if this will affect my application for 10 years greencard when filing I751 waiver.
Anyway, is the divorce decree valid for the requirement.
No, the location of the divorce does not affect the I-751.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

No, the location of the divorce does not affect the I-751.
That is valuable information to me, thanks. Do you think I can do it by myself? If I fail, then I hire a lawyer, would be too late?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think I can do it by myself?
You said, "I can't afford too much mistake here". So, get a lawyer... do it right the first time... don't make mistakes.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, everyone:
Hi:

A divorce in Las Vegas validly entered into should be fine. Before you move to Las Vegas, you should be aware the job market out there is not so good. Or has your wife moved to Las Vegas? You are not so clear on that.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, divorce is much faster *if* you are resident in Nevada. You must be resident in Nevada for at least 6 weeks before you can file for divorce there... then you need to be there for another two weeks or so while the divorce is processed. Note: "resident" is *not* the same as "visitor".

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, divorce is much faster *if* you are resident in Nevada. You must be resident in Nevada for at least 6 weeks before you can file for divorce there... then you need to be there for another two weeks or so while the divorce is processed. Note: "resident" is *not* the same as "visitor".

Ian
Hi:

Either party can file in the state in which ONE is resident.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Either party can file in the state in which ONE is resident.
True, and to be fair, we have no idea which one of them currently lives in Nevada... but I suspect that both are currently living in NY.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:20 am
Account Closed

True, and to be fair, we have no idea which one of them currently lives in Nevada... but I suspect that both are currently living in NY.

Ian
Hi:

It is probably a fair bet that OP is talking about moving to Nevada.

He says he wants to be entirely legal, so I have not even addressed the common situation of pulling a fraud on the Nevada court on jurisdiction. The most common pattern will not be recognized in ANY state and could be set aside easily even in Nevada. The other pattern will be recognized in every state as per case law from a tribunal called "The Supreme Court." However, DHS often does not feel bound by decisions from that tribunal.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Ian
Yes, I am going to move there and do things right.
I appreciate that people here are helping others, instead of thinking everyone else as a bad apple.
I don't know what is the difference between residence and visitor, if I live there for 6 weeks and plus 2 weeks after filing divorce, what else do I need to do to prove, maybe you mean lease or E&G bill?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

f,

Also things like drivers license, auto registration, and voter registration.

Regards, JEff

I don't know what is the difference between residence and visitor, if I live there for 6 weeks and plus 2 weeks after filing divorce, what else do I need to do to prove, maybe you mean lease or E&G bill?