British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Vaccinations required before medical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/vaccinations-required-before-medical-860827/)

LauraLou07 Jun 26th 2015 9:16 pm

Vaccinations required before medical

Was hoping just to clarify that the only vaccination i will need is MMR as im 25 years old? According to the http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...D%20-%20London
i believe that is correct right?

DottM Jun 26th 2015 9:32 pm

Re: Vaccinations required before medical

I just had mine done and I needed:

Tetanus
Terberculosis skin test
MMR

I also needed to prove a history of chicken pocs. I'm 28.

ian-mstm Jun 27th 2015 1:29 am

Originally Posted by LauraLou07 (Post 11685771)
Was hoping just to clarify that the only vaccination i will need is MMR as im 25 years old?

With respect, we don't know your medical history or what shots you've previously had. It would be irresponsible of us to suggest that you only need one vaccine. Is there a reason you need to know prior to your medical?

Ian

sir_eccles Jun 27th 2015 5:08 am

You should strongly consider an adult booster for pertussis, whooping cough is now endemic in many parts of the country.

LauraLou07 Jun 27th 2015 8:24 am

I was hoping to get all of my vaccinations that are required prior to my medical in London as I live quite a fair distance away and if for any reason I had to revisit (for example if I chose to get my vaccinations at the medical but I had to return the next day to finish the vaccination etc) it would be hard and quite costly. I was just hoping that looking at the chart given and my age someone could shed some light on the vaccinations I may need from a requirements point of view. Obviously I will speak with my gp before hand and check against my vaccination record. Also thank you for the replies everyone, you all are amazing 😊

Springy6 Jun 27th 2015 9:56 am

We took the chart to our GP who went through and compared against our medical records. They then identified all the ones we needed and administered before our medicals in
London. We then took the up to date records with us to the medical. The only query we ended up with was the actual brand of Hep B given to my son. I had to have Hep A and MMR.

LauraLou07 Jun 27th 2015 10:19 am

Thanks so much springy! I sent the chart into my gp so we could do the exact same thing! So hopefully that should be good 😊

sparkleandglitter Jun 27th 2015 9:48 pm

LauraLou07 - I was completely expecting to have some jabs, but ended up having none at the appointment. As Ian says above, it all depends on your record.
As people have said on some other threads, if you need any they'll give you them on the day so you won't have to return the next day.

To share my experience, I printed out the vaccination chart, took it to my appointment with the nurse practitioner (they do the vaccinations at our GP surgery) a few weeks before my medical, who checked it and told me what I'd had, and what I could/could not have on the NHS as I was going to the US. (If you are going somewhere tropical you can get them for free apparently!) She gave me a flu jab for free as they were her last from the season just passed and she was going to throw them out anyway.
Make sure if you get any jabs at the GP that you leave enough time to get your record updated on the system. My GP do not charge for your vaccination record but do charge for letters. The receptionist at Knightsbridge said that all they needed was a stamp/headed paper vaccination record or the record sent by email from an NHS email so you could get this info for free depending on your GP.

I needed a letter anyway as I had some conditions I wanted to be made clear are not an issue, so I got them to include the vaccination record with that.

I hope this information helps - The medical was really relaxed and my doctor was really friendly. If you have anything you're worried about on the questionnaire (I had a previous trip to a counsellor in my teens worrying me on the 'mental health' related issues box), then speak to your doctor and get a letter written about it. I did this and it made sure that the doctor could sign off without having to send me back to my GP for a letter. So glad I rang up Knightsbridge beforehand, they were really helpful.

DrWooWoo Jun 28th 2015 8:37 pm

Totally depends on what you have had in the past. I'm a 29 year old male and I ended up needing the flu jab, an MMR booster and Tdap. They will administer any you need at the medical anyway (for a fee), so it's not a big deal - I had all mine done before with the exception of the MMR, which was done at the medical.