Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which vaccinations do I need?

Wikiposts

Which vaccinations do I need?

Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which vaccinations do I need?

I'm sorry if it's disagreeable, but I agree with Rene on this; it's the ways that you've mentioned it, not the fact that you've done it. While your previous experience has given you an insight (ie it's not an automatic process, there's a lot of detail, it's based on a relationship etc) the process is going to be unique from Australia.
The two countries' immigration systems are so far apart that their paperwork requirements clearly show the difference in focus and priority.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Yep, point taken, I am beginning to see it is quite different. As they are both western countries, I had incorrectly assumed a similar procedure.

Ok, onto new experiences
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:14 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
Yep, point taken, I am beginning to see it is quite different. As they are both western countries, I had incorrectly assumed a similar procedure.

Ok, onto new experiences
thats the spirit!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

According to that chart I only need MMR, chickenpox and Tdap.

I have a feeling that I had MMR jab as a child, but have no way of knowing since my ma's dead.

I contracted chickenpox as a kid, and I know you can only have that once in your life, so is it necessary to have that jab?

And I've not had a tetnus jab in eons so should get that.

I'm a 38 yo male btw.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can have the anti-body test for chicken pox. If you have the anti-bodies then you will not require the shot.

My DH's experience was exactly as meauxna's DH. My DH was also well travelled, lived decades in foreign countries and was in the Canadian military for 36 years. He only required a tetnus shot.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have this issue when I emigrated to Australia.
Well... Australia is home to the platypus, so I'm guessing their rules are a bit different.

As they are both western countries...
Well, the US is certainly a western country... but if you look at a world map, you'll see that Oz is due south of Japan... which is generally referred to as an eastern country!

Okay... you know I'm just having a josh, right?

Ian
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I contracted chickenpox as a kid, and I know you can only have that once in your life, so is it necessary to have that jab?

I'm a 38 yo male btw.
Why don't you look back at post #6 where I told you that you should get blood tests to check for immunity levels of chickenpox, measles, rubella.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

I am sorry, I joined the thread after your post and by the time I had written the above, had forgotten all about it.

Good suggestion by the way though.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry, I joined the thread after your post and by the time I had written the above, had forgotten all about it.

Good suggestion by the way though.

Which is an excellent example why you and others should post their own thread rather than tack it onto someone else's.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

According to that chart I only need MMR, chickenpox and Tdap.

I have a feeling that I had MMR jab as a child, but have no way of knowing since my ma's dead.

I'm a 38 yo male btw.
We thought DH would need other shots as well, from reading the chart. The doctor's office (and Consulate) recommend that we let the doctor decide. Worked out better for us that way, too.

You have to evidence whatever you think you've had. If you had chickenpox, I have read that the doc can see evidence of that from scarring (I have one on my cheek for example) but absent that, you'd need a titre test to prove you had the pox. You also can't get that shot in the UK (DH was not required to get it as UK citz are often waivered for it.. he has no scars, but I wasn't paying too close attention to see if that was marked on his visa or not.)
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:28 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by meauxna
(DH was not required to get it as UK citz are often waivered for it.. he has no scars, but I wasn't paying too close attention to see if that was marked on his visa or not.)
However, military personnel are often required to have innoculations that are not a requirement for their citizens. For instance, my husband had the chickenpox shot because of being in the Canadian military. In fact he had had everyone of the innoculations listed on the sheet back in 1998 because of that service and all he needed was the updated tetnus.

Because the doctor was acknowledgable, he was spared having to have the titre test.