Reload this Page >

Which vaccinations do I need?

Which vaccinations do I need?

Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hairball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which vaccinations do I need?

Hi, folks

I am in the process of applying for a CR1 visa and I see that I need a few jabs, specifically:
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Influenza type b (Hib)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Pneumococcal
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
  • Varicella

I remember from another site that not everyone needs all of these, so i went to my GP but they didn't have any more accurate information. I got MMR and tetanus to make a start, but I'm struggling to find more detail.

Does anyone have any more information? I am 34 which seems to exclude me from most of the requirements, at least according to the other site I read, but I don't really want to end up paying Harley Street prices come medical day.

Thanks, all
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which vaccinations do I need?

Heres a link listing to the Embassy website listing the vaccines, there is also a chart on the Knightsbridge Doctors website.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...cinechart.html
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You never had the normal childhood immunizations, i.e. polio, etc.? If not, then, of course, you will need to get them now but I can't believe that you haven't had a few of the ones listed below.

The chart is age and country specific. In easy speak that means if you were born and raised in the UK, it is assumed that by age 21 you have had the normal childhood immunizations and you will not be required to get them again. Also some of them are not available in the UK and you will need to get it in the US. Your GP can give you the ones you need, i.e. pneumonia, and the others you can get in the US where they are available and/or if they are a series of innoculations.

Originally Posted by Hairball
Hi, folks

I am in the process of applying for a CR1 visa and I see that I need a few jabs, specifically:
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Influenza type b (Hib)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Pneumococcal
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Varicella
I remember from another site that not everyone needs all of these, so i went to my GP but they didn't have any more accurate information. I got MMR and tetanus to make a start, but I'm struggling to find more detail.

Does anyone have any more information? I am 34 which seems to exclude me from most of the requirements, at least according to the other site I read, but I don't really want to end up paying Harley Street prices come medical day.

Thanks, all
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Hb,

Interesting that your GP didn't have any more information. Because, unless there is a medical reason why you don't need or shouldn't have on of those vaccinations, you need to have them all.

If your own GP doesn't know about what's medically appropriate for you, who else would?

Regards, JEff

• Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Influenza type b (Hib)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Pneumococcal
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Varicella

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:02 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, folks

• Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Influenza type b (Hib)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Pneumococcal
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Varicella

Thanks, all
Be wary of the list though! My husband never had a shot in his life, so he went to his GP and they issued him every single shot on the list, even when they weren't age appropriate!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest for at least several of those that you get blood tests taken so they can check for immunity levels, or "titres". This would tell you if you need to be vaccinated/revaccinated.

Things like rubeola (measles), rubella, chickenpox, Hep A/B can all have levels taken to check if you need them.

If you haven't had Td or TDaP in the last 10 years you should get one in any case.

You should know if you've had Hep A/B shots.. if not, get started because you need a course of 3 shots over 6 months.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:13 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I would suggest for at least several of those that you get blood tests taken so they can check for immunity levels, or "titres". This would tell you if you need to be vaccinated/revaccinated.

Things like rubeola (measles), rubella, chickenpox, Hep A/B can all have levels taken to check if you need them.

If you haven't had Td or TDaP in the last 10 years you should get one in any case.

You should know if you've had Hep A/B shots.. if not, get started because you need a course of 3 shots over 6 months.
The nurse at my husbands medical here in the US mentioned that he received a shot ( cant remember the name ) that will make TB show positive...
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi

The OP does not need Hep A/B due to age, unless things have changed since december last year when I had my medical.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
The nurse at my husbands medical here in the US mentioned that he received a shot ( cant remember the name ) that will make TB show positive...
BCG.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Hairball is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, folks

Last time I saw the nurse who cannot prescribe varicella if that's requried, so I'll go see the GP and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:38 am
Questy Questionson

Thanks, folks

Last time I saw the nurse who cannot prescribe varicella if that's requried, so I'll go see the GP and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again
I believe varicella is not available in the UK and you would have to get that one here in the US at your i-693 supplement appointment...my husband did not require it due to age...30
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Ok, I was born in the UK, lived there until 28, and emigrated to Australia. Then 5 years ago emigrated to France.

These jabs are country specific so I read, therefore is that based on country of birth or country of residence now? In other words, can I rely on the UK vaccinations which I probably already have had?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
Ok, I was born in the UK, lived there until 28, and emigrated to Australia. Then 5 years ago emigrated to France.

These jabs are country specific so I read, therefore is that based on country of birth or country of residence now? In other words, can I rely on the UK vaccinations which I probably already have had?
Generally, I'd say yes. I've watched many third-country cases because ours was one too; others have had a similar experience to ours WRT the vaccines.
My DH was living in Greece but was born/reared in the UK. HE also traveled with the Royal Navy & lived abroad elsewhere.
In the medical, the doctor interviewed him about this information, determined which vaccines the DH would have received with those circumstances and 'credited' him with them. The only jab he got was a tetanus booster.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

I find it interesting that vaccinations are required. I didn't have this issue when I emigrated to Australia.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
I find it interesting that vaccinations are required. I didn't have this issue when I emigrated to Australia.
In my layman's humble opinion, you should try to stop comparing Australia to US immigration. I know it's of interest to you, because you've done (or are doing) both, but I can't quite tell if you are just pointing these things out because it's interesting that there's a difference (as there will be between ANY two different country's immigration laws), or if you are asking WHY it is different...to whch the answer is "because USA is a different country than Australia, with different immigration requirements".

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.