Uuugghh!

Old Sep 9th 2002, 1:56 am
Chris Parker

Default Re: Uuugghh!

> You're a dolt if you really believe that one can choose when to register with
    > Selective Service. You MUST register when you turn 18. You must maintain
    > registration i.e. notify of change of address UNTIL you are 26.
    > Stop trying to convince people of something that is not true. Please Call
    > Selective Service and ask them

You must register with the Selective Service if you are between ages 18 and 26.

You can contact them, read any of their publications (including the website I
provided), or ask them on the phone even and they'll tell you that men must register
beginning when they turn 18, but no later than age 26.

I registered at age 24 1/2, so I'm not sure what experience you are speaking from.

Men age 18 through 25 must choose to register. They are subject to fine/penalty if
they are not registered and SSS wants to prosecute (not likely to be happen unless a
draft is instituted). After age 26, if they have not registered, they are
permanently ineligible to register and will be subject to prosecution for the rest of
their life.

CP

Old Sep 9th 2002, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mike:
[email protected] (James Donovan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > [email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > > > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in Jamaica?
    > > > He will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any trouble.
    > >
    > > Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:
    > >
    > > What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?
    > He cannot, unless he has a green card.

** Check with your local recruiter, Ive known peeople in the USAF without greencards
from the Philippines. They are now giving citizenship to people who serve 3 yrs. I
believe it depends what country they are from...Mike C

Mike: You are very correct. Phillipnes is an exception to the "illegals not allowed to enlist" rule. However, the Philipinos enlist from the Phillipins, work on the US base there and if they complete 3 years, they are given permanent residency--this goes for all brances--not just men who carry rifles--I know a lot of Phillipino nurses get their green cards by enlisting on the base hospital.

As to signing up with selective services, I've said this before, I say it again, Leighton--IT IS THE LAW, ALL MALES PRESENT IN THE US "NOT IN TEMPORARY VISA STATUS" HAVE TO REGISTER AT THE AGE OF 18 AND THEY HAVE TO STAY REGISTERED UNTIL 26.

A fellow I know was denined US cititzenship because he came to the US when he was 15 and never registered.
Old Sep 9th 2002, 8:16 am
Michael Voight

Chris Parker wrote:
    > > You're a dolt if you really believe that one can choose when to register with
    > > Selective Service. You MUST register when you turn 18. You must maintain
    > > registration i.e. notify of change of address UNTIL you are 26.
    > >
    > > Stop trying to convince people of something that is not true. Please Call
    > > Selective Service and ask them
    > You must register with the Selective Service if you are between ages 18 and 26.
    > You can contact them, read any of their publications (including the website I
    > provided), or ask them on the phone even and they'll tell you that men must
    > register beginning when they turn 18, but no later than age 26.
    > I registered at age 24 1/2, so I'm not sure what experience you are speaking from.
    > Men age 18 through 25 must choose to register. They are subject to fine/penalty if
    > they are not registered and SSS wants to prosecute (not likely to be happen unless
    > a draft is instituted). After age 26, if they have not registered, they are
    > permanently ineligible to register and will be subject to prosecution for the rest
    > of their life.

And failure to register could cost them PR status.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 8:33 am
Mrtravel

ralph wrote:
    > I suppose your ancestors were native Americans.

No, but I am. I consider someone born a USC to be native born.

I consider the term "Americans" to mean citizens of the USA and this is also the
common interpretation by people all over the world. The Indians didn't start this
country. Actually, some did, but my point is the Indians were here before us, but
were not "American".

FWIW, even the Indians immigrated to this continent.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 2:05 pm
Chris Parker

> As to signing up with selective services, I've said this before, I say it again,
    > Leighton--IT IS THE LAW, ALL MALES PRESENT IN THE US "NOT IN TEMPORARY VISA STATUS"
    > HAVE TO REGISTER AT THE AGE OF 18 AND THEY HAVE TO STAY REGISTERED UNTIL 26.
    > A fellow I know was denined US cititzenship because he came to the US when he was
    > 15 and never registered.

It is true, Selective Service registration is also a requirement for naturalization
eligibility. And since you must be eligible for naturalization in order to obtain
and to keep a green card, Selective Service registration will be important for
Jerome if he does one day become eligible for lawful permanent residence (you
cannot register after age 26...). INS, in fact, requires Selective Service
registration at the time of making an adjustment application (if you aren't
registered but required and eligible to do so, you give them permission to register
you with the SSS above your signature on the application; INS gives you no choice
about consent like other federal agency forms do, such as the FAFSA). Indeed, if
you were required to register but never did so and are beyond age 26, you'd become
permanently ineligible for a green card or naturalization unless one day they
eliminate the Selective Service.

One last thing about Selective Service registration, since some people here still
don't get it, once you register with the Selective Service, you are "registered" for
life. However, you are required to update your address with them until age 26; after
age 26, submitting address changes is voluntary under current law. There is no such
concept as Selective Service registration being "continuous"; you are either
registered or you are not.

CP

Old Sep 10th 2002, 8:11 am
Chris Parker

> 4) The Selective Service does not record a person's citizenship or alien status in
    > their records. They do, however, require a social security number as far as I
    > can tell.

Apparently, a social security number is not required if you don't have one. I guess
they closed using the Selective Service registration process as a loophole to qualify
for a social security number ...

CP

Q: Am I required to give my Social Security Number when I register with
Selective Service?

R: If you have a Social Security number, you are required to provide
Ra. However, you are not required to have a Social Security number to register with
Selective Service.

Old Sep 11th 2002, 1:29 am
Chris Parker

> And failure to register could cost them PR status.

Yes.

Especially if you are beyond age 26 at the time of the adjustment interview and did
not register yourself on your own accord prior to age 26 when required to do so.

CP

Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:16 am
Liwen Liang

Okay, I have been reading all these posts, and here is a question for this
"Selective Service".

What if a person is not born USC, but acquired the citizenship along with his parents
when they acquired theirs, is it possible for him to forget registering with
"Selective Service"? What will happen then?

Okay, the background is my husband is USC (and thank God I just confirmed with him
that he did register with Selective Service at one point in his life. He is 37 years
old now. I know he acquired his USC when he was very young - when his mother went
through the naturalization process, he didn't, he got his citizenship along with his
mother back in the 80's.

I was almost having a heart attack while reading all these "MUST REGISTER" with
Selective Service between age 18 - 26. Becuase I thought my husband would never
remember to do that, and it could have been too late! Now I think he may not be the
only one if he did forget to do that. So my question is what would happen to his USC
status if he did forget (or anyone in a similar situation did forget)?

Michael Voight <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Chris Parker wrote:
    > >
    > > > You're a dolt if you really believe that one can choose when to register with
    > > > Selective Service. You MUST register when you turn 18. You must maintain
    > > > registration i.e. notify of change of address UNTIL you are 26.
    > > >
    > > > Stop trying to convince people of something that is not true. Please Call
    > > > Selective Service and ask them
    > >
    > > You must register with the Selective Service if you are between ages 18 and 26.
    > >
    > > You can contact them, read any of their publications (including the website I
    > > provided), or ask them on the phone even and they'll tell you that men must
    > > register beginning when they turn 18, but no later than age 26.
    > >
    > > I registered at age 24 1/2, so I'm not sure what experience you are
    > > speaking from.
    > >
    > > Men age 18 through 25 must choose to register. They are subject to fine/penalty
    > > if they are not registered and SSS wants to prosecute (not likely to be happen
    > > unless a draft is instituted). After age 26, if they have not registered, they
    > > are permanently ineligible to register and will be subject to prosecution for the
    > > rest of their life.
    > >
    > And failure to register could cost them PR status.

Old Sep 11th 2002, 11:59 am
Mrtravel \ \

It would matter if he was applying for citizenship. It won't affect him now.

I think I registered, but I know I never updated my address. Or, I don't even know if
registering was required 18 years ago when I was 26

Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:00 am
Chris Parker

> It would matter if he was applying for citizenship. It won't affect him now.
    > I think I registered, but I know I never updated my address. Or, I don't even know
    > if registering was required 18 years ago when I was 26

You can check at http://www.sss.gov/ if you are
registered or not with your social security number and D.O.B.

The Selective Service was decommissioned (functions transferred to DOJ) in September,
1975 (after the Vietnam War), and reactivated in the summer of 1980. Men born from
March 29, 1957, to Dec. 31, 1959, were not required to register because registration
was suspended for these several years in the late 1970s. All others were from what I
gather from the SSS's statements.

CP

Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:05 am
Chris Parker

> It would matter if he was applying for citizenship. It won't affect him now.

It won't affect him because he didn't apply for citizenship, and he was under 18 when
he acquired citizenship anyway.

If he was applying for citizenship, sure it would affect him if he was present in the
U.S. in other than a nonimmigrant visa status between ages 18-26 and were over 26 at
the time of applying for naturalization. I believe they would deny the
naturalization application.

CP

Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:10 am
Chris Parker

> Now I think he may not be the only one if he did forget to do that. So my question
    > is what would happen to his USC status if he did forget (or anyone in a similar
    > situation did forget)?

Selective Service has calculated that it currently has from 80-90% compliance in the
registration process. So, sure, there are lots of people who do forget to register.

What happens? Several things:
http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

CP

Old Sep 12th 2002, 7:23 am
Liwen Liang

I guess my question was in such a case, can the government revoke his citizenship?

[email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
    > > Now I think he may not be the only one if he did forget to do that. So my
    > > question is what would happen to his USC status if he did forget (or anyone in a
    > > similar situation did forget)?
    > Selective Service has calculated that it currently has from 80-90% compliance in
    > the registration process. So, sure, there are lots of people who do forget to
    > register.
    > What happens? Several things:
    > http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm
    > CP

Old Sep 12th 2002, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Liwen Liang:
I guess my question was in such a case, can the government revoke his citizenship?

[email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
    > > Now I think he may not be the only one if he did forget to do that. So my
    > > question is what would happen to his USC status if he did forget (or anyone in a
    > > similar situation did forget)?
    > Selective Service has calculated that it currently has from 80-90% compliance in
    > the registration process. So, sure, there are lots of people who do forget to
    > register.
    > What happens? Several things:
    > http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm
    > CP
Liwen:

Don't worry, the government can't revoke his citizenship even if he didn't register for SSvcs. Once you're a citizen, you're always a citizen. The govt. will revoke your citizenship only if you committed atrociities (Nazi camps or Russion Goulags or during civil wars) and the government discovers this.

Also, all kids in junior college are automatically registered with Ssvcs when they apply for admission. -- This covers most of the population--immigrant and non-immigrant.

The problem arises when an immigrant kid never goes to junior college or any college and forgets to register with SSvcs. than at the time of Naturalization (there is a question related to this on the form), there can be problems.

THis is not a legal advice or statement of fact.

MD
Old Sep 12th 2002, 12:09 pm
Mrtravel

mdmd101 wrote:
    > Don't worry, the government can't revoke his citizenship even if he didn't register
    > for SSvcs. Once you're a citizen, you're always a citizen. The govt. will revoke
    > your citizenship only if you committed atrociities (Nazi camps or Russion Goulags
    > or during civil wars) and the government discovers this.

Not true. The government can revoke your citizenship for any reason that would have
prevented you getting it in the first place, such as committing fraud in the process.

> Also, all kids in junior college are automatically registered with Ssvcs when they
    > apply for admission. -- This covers most of the population--immigrant and
    > non-immigrant.

all kids in "all" junior colleges? Is there some sort of Federal law that decides
whether or not a Juco must registered someone for SSS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.