Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

USPS Madness for San Francisco District Office?

Wikiposts

USPS Madness for San Francisco District Office?

Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USPS Madness for San Francisco District Office?

OK, I've got the stressies.

Today, checking on the status of Dekkie's AOS paperwork (which was sent to San Francisco's P.O. Box Address via Express Mail return receipt requested) we get the following message online from the post-office:

"We attempted to deliver your item at 9:16AM on September 17, 2003 in San Francisco, CA 94119 and a notice was left. A second delivery attempt will be made. If unsuccessful, we will hold it for 5 business days and then it will be returned to the sender."

OK....I'm stressed because I have no idea how often BCIS decides to pull out the rubber stamp and collect up all their return receipt mail.....has anyone ever had one of their packages returned because of a time-out at the post office? I would hate for us to be delayed just because I insist on having a return receipt and our package gets sent back because BCIS doesn't pick up its mail.

/sigh

I will sure be glad when this is all over......
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

BossSconcs will become famous soon enoughBossSconcs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: USPS Madness for San Francisco District Office?

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel

Today, checking on the status of Dekkie's AOS paperwork (which was sent to San Francisco's P.O. Box Address via Express Mail return receipt requested) we get the following message online from the post-office:

"We attempted to deliver your item at 9:16AM on September 17, 2003 in San Francisco, CA 94119 and a notice was left. A second delivery attempt will be made. If unsuccessful, we will hold it for 5 business days and then it will be returned to the sender."

OK....I'm stressed because I have no idea how often BCIS decides to pull out the rubber stamp and collect up all their return receipt mail.....has anyone ever had one of their packages returned because of a time-out at the post office? I would hate for us to be delayed just because I insist on having a return receipt and our package gets sent back because BCIS doesn't pick up its mail.

/sigh

BCIS picks up their mail on a daily basis, however, most likely before 0916 AM, when Post Office received it. The Postal Service puts that notice out to allow the customer (you) to know it was received and to prevent claims of untimely delivery. The package will most likely be received with Bcis's mail today.

P.S. the Postal Service will also 'attempt' delivery again today, before BCIS picks up their mail. So you might even see a second attempt made without actual delivery. If so, Dont 'freak-out', is normal procedure...... the package is waiting for today's pick-up.

I wil be so glad when this is all started (at Nebraska......
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry, I have had the same thing happening to me in Detroit in the morning and in the afternoon I found the return receipt in the mail box. As a general rule, it takes USPS roughly a day or 2 to send that return receipt back after delivering the packet to SF (and sometimes it is not even signed, just a stamp from the post office).

I have sent quite a few return receipts to several INS offices/INS PO boxes (lucky me!) and it has never been a problem, whatever the online status said. I have always received the green thingie after 1-3 days.

Caroline
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

happy-220 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry. The same thing happend to me. We sent out the package and got the same exact notice. We never received the confimation, but the package was delivered. What we did was call the Post Office in SF, where they assured me that the person form the INS (or whatever name they are going by today) got mail every morning. They receive so many packages a day that some confirmations slip through the cracks.
A couple of weeks later I had my receipt from the then INS.....
Once again, don't worry...all will be fine.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel

/sigh

Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by happy-220
[...]
They receive so many packages a day
[...]
I have seen them pick up the mail several times while I was waiting in room 101. They usually pick up the mail around 11:00pm. You see one of the officer cross the room with a HUGE stack of these USPS white boxes with the blue printing on the side. I mean the stack was going about from the hands at mid-thighs to his nose, and that was just stacked empty boxes.

Apparently it looked like it is not cool to pick up the mail (delivered to the office) because the other officers were smiling at him, like they were teasing him

Caroline