Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Using health insurance as domicile evidence

Wikiposts

Using health insurance as domicile evidence

Old May 6th 2011, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice
Default Using health insurance as domicile evidence

Hi everyone

I was wandering if someone might be able clarify something for me . My wife is currently in the process of DCFing, my wife is the USC and we are both living in the UK. I have been thinking of things that we might be able to collect as evidence to show my wife’s intent to domicile in the U.S., once we get to that part of the process. I was thinking about this last night when I had what I think is a good idea – I hope. My thought is that my wife should take out health insurance. Who in their right mind takes out health insurance for a country they don’t intend to live in ? No-one, I don’t think. So, my 2 questions are:

1) Does this sound like a good idea?

2) I have been trying to get my head around health insurance, I’ve researched Google and the wonderful wiki link on this site but everything seems to talk about getting health insurance through an employer. Well, neither of us are employed in the U.S. so that isnt possible, so how does a person who is not employed in the U.S. get health insurance?

I know the 2nd question isnt technically a marriage based visa question, but the other question is

Does anyone have any thoughts/advise on this?
Old May 6th 2011, 3:13 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using health insurance as domicile evidence

My first thought is there's got to be significantly less expensive ways to show intent to domicile. We showed communications with an estate agent, communications with an apartment complex manager, communications with a company that offered me an interview when I got there, quotes from a UK estate agent for selling our house, quotes from an international moving company, and a letter from my UK boss indicating he was aware of my intent to move. All free.

Your plan, on the other hand, will easily cost you $1,000 per month, and I don't know if they'll even give you health insurance if you haven't got a US address yet.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
I agree with Avanutria, this is a very expensive way of showing intent to domicile, and might not be do-able from outside the USA.

2) I have been trying to get my head around health insurance, I’ve researched Google and the wonderful wiki link on this site but everything seems to talk about getting health insurance through an employer. Well, neither of us are employed in the U.S. so that isnt possible, so how does a person who is not employed in the U.S. get health insurance?
They find an insurance company and they purchase private individual health care. Have a look around in the USA forum, there are lots of threads about insurance over there.

Rene
Old May 6th 2011, 4:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How weak are your wife's other ties, that you are looking at this option?
It's good thinking though.. it would be good proof of domicile, but it would also be insanely expensive.

I don't really want to open a health insurance debate here, but you might want to read in the wiki and some of the threads in the USA forum to start to try and understand it better (no one understands US health insurance completely).
The reason most people get the insurance through their employers is because it costs an arm and a leg (almost literally) to buy it independently on the open market.

At my husband's visa interview, we were warned to get health insurance when we got home, since the immigrant spouse would not be eligible for Medicaid (in most cases), which is the emergency poor people option.
Old May 6th 2011, 4:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The first thought that popped into my mind as well, before I read these two responses.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by avanutria
My first thought is there's got to be significantly less expensive ways to show intent to domicile.
Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree with Avanutria, this is a very expensive way of showing intent to domicile,
Old May 6th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

All my wife provide for intent to re-establish domicile was US student load and bank statements (the bank account only had $25 in it and hadn't been touched since she opened it on a trip to the US several years before!), copies of job applications in the US she'd sent recently, and a covering letter saying "I intend to re-establish domicile". That worked for us.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
No, it's an insane idea. I doubt you would be able to get a company to offer a policy to somebody not living in the US, or at least with a provable US address. If you do find one, as said you will likely pay out the wazoo for the policy.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

Ok, thanks everyone for their replies. So, not a good idea then ? I don’t think my wife’s ties are that weak, she would be able to provide the following:

Proof of job applications

Shipping quotes

Letter from current employer confirming her intent to leave her job and move to the U.S.

Letter from our current letting agent showing that we are moving out of our UK house

American bank account details

Proof that we have been paying money into said bank account every month for the last 3 years

Letter from OH’s parents confirming her intent to live in the U.S.

I thought taking out health insurance would be more solid evidence than the above but I can see that it would be a very expensive option and judging by other comments we may already have enough evidence.

Thanks again for all your comments