Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Used my AP for the first time... what a pain!

Wikiposts

Used my AP for the first time... what a pain!

Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Used my AP for the first time... what a pain!

I just got back today from a break in England, flew into Newark and used my AP for the first time. For those who are following my case, I quit my job before the holiday, so I figured my L visa is no longer any good.

So I arrived with Wendy and we went on the US citizens line like we always do when together. As anticipated (from reading this excellent NG!) I was sent for secondary inspection. This is the bit which was a slight headache - it took over an hour!

We were ushered into a side room which was full of people waiting for one reason or another, and they called people one-by-one by name. After about an hour I was called. The asked me who my sponsor was, how long I'd been outside of the US and that was it. An hour just for that!

I was "paroled" into the US until 30 December '04 and sent on my way. I asked if I would have to go through this "secondary inspection" process each time I travelled and they said yes (contrary to what I have read here as I thought it was only on the first AP use) - if anyone has any other experience that'd be helpful.

So I just wanted to post the experience. Hopefully the wait will be less next time!

Cheers,
Peter
Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:52 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used my AP for the first time... what a pain!

Originally posted by Peter Newton
I just got back today from a break in England, flew into Newark and used my AP for the first time. For those who are following my case, I quit my job before the holiday, so I figured my L visa is no longer any good.

So I arrived with Wendy and we went on the US citizens line like we always do when together. As anticipated (from reading this excellent NG!) I was sent for secondary inspection. This is the bit which was a slight headache - it took over an hour!

We were ushered into a side room which was full of people waiting for one reason or another, and they called people one-by-one by name. After about an hour I was called. The asked me who my sponsor was, how long I'd been outside of the US and that was it. An hour just for that!

I was "paroled" into the US until 30 December '04 and sent on my way. I asked if I would have to go through this "secondary inspection" process each time I travelled and they said yes (contrary to what I have read here as I thought it was only on the first AP use) - if anyone has any other experience that'd be helpful.

So I just wanted to post the experience. Hopefully the wait will be less next time!

Cheers,
Peter
Welcome back!!!
It seems like POE officers enjoy making people wait!!.
Have fun tomorrow!!

Ps: Dont drink too much!!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows... I was ready for a drink after the journey anyway- that just sealed the deal!

Cheers!
Peter

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Welcome back!!!
It seems like POE officers enjoy making people wait!!.
Have fun tomorrow!!

Ps: Dont drink too much!!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:07 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows... I was ready for a drink after the journey anyway- that just sealed the deal!

Cheers!
Peter
I drank 8 bottles of apple cider with my brother Tomas on Christmas eve but amazingly I didnt get too drunk
Have fun ok??, that is really the deal
Old Dec 30th 2003, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to note Peter is that you are not paroled into the US until December 30, 2004 but until AOS approval or denial or until you apply for a new A/P and have activated that with another entry. Also note that the A/P is only good until the dates indicated on it and not the dates on the I-94. In other words if the A/P is good until December 1, 2004 don't leave the US and expect it to be honored after the 1st of December, 2004.

Rete

Cheers,
Peter
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:54 pm
c

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as
'Used my AP for the first time... what a pain!' and 'Peter Newton:
tasty but deadly.'

>I was "paroled" into the US until 30 December '04 and sent on my way. I
    >asked if I would have to go through this "secondary inspection" process
    >each time I travelled and they said yes (contrary to what I have read
    >here as I thought it was only on the first AP use) - if anyone has any
    >other experience that'd be helpful.

I had an identical experience at Newark in September - first time I
used AP, and was told I'd have to go through the same routine each
time until AOS approval and greencardness.

Cheers,

Marco

Old Dec 31st 2003, 12:20 am
Tim

My wife is on her 4th AP as we struggle to get her green card. She's
travelled many times using it, and every time she has re-entered the
USA she has been sent to secondary inspection. This has occurred at
various POEs, such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, and Newark.

I have read a few cases here where people said they used AP and did
not have to go to secondary inspection, but that has never happened to
my wife.

Old Dec 31st 2003, 12:20 am
Sarahstokesuk

Hi all,

Just to say my AP experience at Philadelphia was absolutely stress-free: I was
sent to secondary inspection where there were 3 officers working...walked
straight up...and the lady who dealt with me was extremely knowledgable and
friendly. I was through to baggage claim having spent 5 minutes max in
immigration. I had just been delayed for six hours in Manchester (UK), but that
had nothing to do with AP!!!

From Sarah

Old Dec 31st 2003, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess this wait time will vary depending on time of flight nd number of people in line. All said I don't see an hour wait as a hardship...We are told to arrive three hours ahead of flight time for international flights and from some overseas destinations I have been instructed that six hours minimum is recommended. Congrats on your trip.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Dec 31st 2003, 5:09 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

I also just used my AP for the very first time and it too was a pain... some officers didn't even know what it was! I was sent to three different agents until I finally reached the 4th one who took my case and processed me through.

Total queue time from end of the line to first immigration officer: 1 1/2 hours.
Total time waiting to be called after my docs were taken inside to be sorted: 1 hour.
Total time being processed after being called up and then released to customs: 30 minutes.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by bequibar
I also just used my AP for the very first time and it too was a pain... some officers didn't even know what it was! I was sent to three different agents until I finally reached the 4th one who took my case and processed me through.

Total queue time from end of the line to first immigration officer: 1 1/2 hours.
Total time waiting to be called after my docs were taken inside to be sorted: 1 hour.
Total time being processed after being called up and then released to customs: 30 minutes.
Did they process your daughter's K-2 at the same time and place, or did they separate you?
Old Dec 31st 2003, 5:41 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Pallyn
Did they process your daughter's K-2 at the same time and place, or did they separate you?
They processed us both together.
One officer took all our paperwork inside for about an hour. After they came back and called us, her brown envelope was opened and sorted I guess... he tore away my previous I-94, gave me a new one, stamped that and my AP and kept one of my AP pages, giving me back the other. Then he stamped my daughter's passport, her I-94, scribbled some things... typed away at his pc... and gave me everything back then suggested I ask my lawyer to see whether she needed to adjust status too. I said she did and that we'd go asap. In the meantime we had a slight q&a session on my process, on my aos, on why she crossed after me, etc. and that was that.
Sounds fast but believe me, it felt like forever.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 6:29 am
Lindsey

I used mine for the first time in November in Chicago and didn't have any
problems at all.

I went in the US citizens line with my husband. He knew what it was, don't
think he even asked me any questions - just said I needed to wait for a
couple of minutes while someone went and photocopied it. I didn't even
have to go to Secondary inspection.

It seems that different airports do things differently for almost
everything.

Lindsey

"Peter Newton" <member13275@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I just got back today from a break in England, flew into Newark and used
    > my AP for the first time. For those who are following my case, I quit
    > my job before the holiday, so I figured my L visa is no longer any good.
    > So I arrived with Wendy and we went on the US citizens line like we
    > always do when together. As anticipated (from reading this excellent
    > NG!) I was sent for secondary inspection. This is the bit which was a
    > slight headache - it took over an hour!
    > We were ushered into a side room which was full of people waiting for
    > one reason or another, and they called people one-by-one by name. After
    > about an hour I was called. The asked me who my sponsor was, how long
    > I'd been outside of the US and that was it. An hour just for that!
    > I was "paroled" into the US until 30 December '04 and sent on my way. I
    > asked if I would have to go through this "secondary inspection" process
    > each time I travelled and they said yes (contrary to what I have read
    > here as I thought it was only on the first AP use) - if anyone has any
    > other experience that'd be helpful.
    > So I just wanted to post the experience. Hopefully the wait will be
    > less next time!
    > Cheers,
    > Peter
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:20 am
Andy Platt

"Peter Newton" <member13275@british_expats.com> wrote:

> I was "paroled" into the US until 30 December '04 and sent on my way. I
    > asked if I would have to go through this "secondary inspection" process
    > each time I travelled and they said yes (contrary to what I have read
    > here as I thought it was only on the first AP use) - if anyone has any
    > other experience that'd be helpful.

Each and every time. The one exception (which might be what you read about)
is those trips to Canada or Mexico where you re-use the I-94. BTW, the one
year thing is stupid; it's supposed to be an indefinite parole. What if you
aren't adjusted in a year, what would be your status? (It's hypothetical, I
don't think any problem would result). When I first started using AP they
did stamp it indefinite; when they gave the first one year stamp I queried
it. They said it was new rules though I never saw anything published.
Anyway, I went abroad frequently enough for it to be a non-issue.

> So I just wanted to post the experience. Hopefully the wait will be
    > less next time!

Don't bet on it. I had a few quicker ones prior to 9/11 but after that it
was at least an hour, sometimes more.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination
    > Cheers,
    > Peter
    > --

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:32 am
Cdnchick

My 15 year old son just returned from a trip to Canada - having used his
AP for the first time. Its probably due to his age, that he was travelling
alone and the fact that he went thru the POE in Calgary, but he had no
hassles whatsoever. He said that they didn't even ask him any questions.
They just stamped his paperwork / passport and said "have a nice day".

"bequibar" <member8732@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> I also just used my AP for the very first time and it too was a pain...
> some officers didn't even know what it was! I was sent to three
> different agents until I finally reached the 4th one who took my case
> and processed me through.
>
>
>
>
>
> Total queue time from end of the line to first immigration officer: 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> Total time waiting to be called after my docs were taken inside to be
> sorted: 1 hour.
>
> Total time being processed after being called up and then released to
> customs: 30 minutes.
>
>
> --

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.