Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

USCIS immigration fee SSN

USCIS immigration fee SSN

Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

SaraB25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USCIS immigration fee SSN

Hi, Wondered if someone had been in the same situation and if I need to pay the USCIS immigration fee of $220 if my children fall under the category of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 only my husband paid his fees as his white envelope came with instructions to do so. However my children’s didnt come with instructions and we only got there A number after port of entry?

Also so wondered how long it look for people to receive their Social Security Numbers only my husband is in his 4 week and we are still waiting but very limited to what he can do without it?

thanks in advance
sara 😊
Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USCIS immigration fee SSN

You are confusing me. What immigration fee? What immigration fee for a SSN? Where and to whom is this immigration fee to be paid? Where did your husband get this white envelope?

1. Is the white envelope the one the US Embassy couriered to your husband after his visa interview?

2. Is the fee for the manufacture of the green card when he enters the US with his visa?

3. Did your children require a visa to enter the US or were you able to pass on US citizenship to them at birth?

Why hasn't he gone to the Social Security Administration Office need you and inquire about his social security card? He should take his passport with him. Just because he marked the paperwork at the Embassy that he wanted the card sent to him doesn't mean that it will be. You need to physically chase it up.
He can still look for work and work without the SS card as long as he is assured it has been applied for and it is being sent.

If the children became US Citizens after entering the US with their visas (if they required one), have you applied for their US passports?
Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
sorry yes my husband and sons have just done the I130 process and it’s was the immigration fee for his green card. I’m not sure if I need to pay the fee before applying for my children’s passports that was the main reason for my question.

The SSN question was a separate one I went into the office but they told me that we need to just wait for immigration?? But might be worth giving them a call just wondered what others did and if theirs took this long. The job situation has been fine it’s more like opening a bank account and getting his drivers license that’s the issue.

Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If the children became US Citizens, then no, you don't have to pay to have a green card made. You need to complete the US passport application and go in person with both the boys to the passport office and/or the US post office. They need proof of their status and the passport will prove that.

Try a different social security office. 4 weeks is a little too long for it not to have arrived.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Fantastic thank you Rete 😊 we will give them all a try.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

So I just tried to apply for my children’s US passports online as Rete suggested but didn’t get very far as need their SSN numbers. Called main Social security number to be advised i need to speak to my local office. Called the local office and was told that nothing was on the system for my husband and children from their Ds260 application so to call in with all our paperwork. Been in today just with the children’s details as my husband had a job interview. Spoke with a member of staff who told me there was no reason for my children to warrant a SSN and that the visas they have in their UK passports aren’t valid to have one and to come back when they have their green cards. I’m a US citizen who is living permanently with my British children in the US and from everything I’ve read they fall under the child citizenship Act so now questioning do they need to pay the permanent resident immigration fees before they can apply for their US passports/ SSN or did I just get someone that didn’t want to help..... Feel like I’m just going round in circles. Any advice would be greatly received.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 11:15 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The children became USCs the second they entered the US with their immigrant visas and were in the lawful custody of their US parent (ie you)

They are USCs, and as such should not have a Green Card. You don't need to pay the fee for that card to be produced.

I would suggest going to another SS office, perhaps one near you that has a larger immigrant population (most cities) and may have come across this before.

Oh and even if all that was incorrect, their visa is a Green Card valid for 12 months when it is endorsed. It clearly says that on the visa itself.

You got a person that either a) didn't know or b) didn't care.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Complete the online form as much as possible and print it out. You can't apply for their first US Passport online. It needs to be done in person. You will need to have their passport photos, birth certificates, your marriage certificate, your US passport (as proof of your US Citizenship), and bring the children with you.

As for the social security numbers, I believe I mentioned earlier that your husband should go to the ss office in person. He, and the children, simply go to the social security office (not the one you previously went to) with your children and apply for their social security cards then and then. Again, you will need their passports, birth certificates, possibly your marriage license and whatever else is requested on the application form.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

​​​​Thank you! The guy even told me my husband would need a work visa before he could get his SSN I did try and explain he didn’t need one with the visa he had he wouldn’t listen and just told me to come back. Honestly don’t know what I’d do without everyone’s advise as feel everything I try and do is a nightmare and nothing is straight forward.