Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

USC Petitioner name change whilst AOS in progress

USC Petitioner name change whilst AOS in progress

Old Jun 15th 2017, 7:44 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC Petitioner name change whilst AOS in progress

Background: I'm doing an AOS from L1B via marriage.

We purposely decided to not worry about the name change of her (USC) to my surname until the application had completed.

Question came up last night, is there anything to stop her changing her name, now that the application has been filed and accepted and I've been given notice of action letters?

We're both happy to ride it out until the application completes, but it just came up as a question when we were talking last night about her passport renewal.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:05 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC Petitioner name change whilst AOS in progress

You are perfectly able to change your name. The application will just be updated when you are interviewed.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
... is there anything to stop her changing her name, now that the application has been filed and accepted and I've been given notice of action letters?
She is free to assume your name at any time. This has nothing to do with US immigration. She's a US citizen - it's not their concern.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:17 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for replies.

I assume she can just take a certified copy of her name change document when we go to interview for the AOS as proof?
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I assume she can just take a certified copy of her name change document when we go to interview for the AOS as proof?
You assume incorrectly. There is no "name change document" and there's no proof required - she simply starts using your last name. Keep in mind that she isn't actually changing her name... she's assuming your last name - and there's a distinct and legal difference between the two events. In the US, she is allowed to call herself whatever she wants so long as she is not attempting to commit fraud. Your marriage certificate is all that's required... it won't be questioned, and I doubt it'll even be noticed. She's still the same person regardless of what she calls herself.

If she wants to change her identification documents and credit cards, there's a specific process she needs to follow - but that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with US immigration or your AOS.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As pointed out above, there isn't a name change document, i.e. deed poll. The only name change document, IMO, is called a marriage certificate. When she completes paperwork for the USCIS she will list her maiden and her new surname on the documents. They are not concerned with her name at all. Both surnames are documented on the marriage certificate which is submitted with your applications.

She will need to show the marriage certificate when she is changing her name on her driver's license, car registration, social security card, passport, etc.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 15th 2017 at 11:00 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 1:59 am
i hate cabbage

Thanks guys,

That makes sense. I shall let the wife know she's free to name change when she likes!

Need to figure out how to distribute beer to you lot on this forum once my AOS completes