Usa move

Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Beckyboos1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Usa move

Hi..my husband was born in usa to his American father and Australian mother. When they died when he was 7 he was moved to england. He is now 29 and we have been married for 6 years. We have 4 children between us but our eldest is not his biologically. We would like to move back to his homeland where he has family. Just dont know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Usa move

Originally Posted by Beckyboos1
Hi..my husband was born in usa to his American father and Australian mother. When they died when he was 7 he was moved to england. He is now 29 and we have been married for 6 years. We have 4 children between us but our eldest is not his biologically. We would like to move back to his homeland where he has family. Just dont know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to the US marriage based visas forum, where the good folks there will be able to give you good advice on how your husband can sponsor you and your children to move to the US.

Best of luck with it.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to the US marriage based visas forum, where the good folks there will be able to give you good advice on how your husband can sponsor you and your children to move to the US.

Best of luck with it.
Thankyou so much
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much
No probs. There are some good Wiki articles (top of the page), which would be worth reading, but you'll get great advice too when the US wakes up.

Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband is a US citizen. If he doesn't have one already, he should get a US passport. To start the process, he needs to file form I-130 for you, and one for each of the children. The forms are available at www.uscis.gov/forms. Once the I-130 petitions are approved (about 2-3 months), you will each apply for an immigrant visa. That'll take another 2-3 months. Once you all have an immigrant visa in your passport, you can move to the US to live. Upon entry, you will immediately become a US permanent resident (PR = green card), and the children will immediately become US citizens (assuming they're all under age 18).

You will likely need written permission from the eldest child's biological father (or a court order to that effect) to remove him/her from UK jurisdiction.

Your husband will also need to file the most recent 3 years' worth of US tax returns. All US citizens are obligated, under US law, to file an annual tax return regardless of where they live, and regardless of whether money has been earned in the US. There is a US/UK tax treaty, so it's doubtful that he'll have to actually pay any US taxes, but he must file the returns.

I'll warn you now - you're about to learn a new language: immigration-speak. It looks a lot like English, but it isn't. You've got lots of time to learn it, so please don't try to understand everything immediately - because you'll likely wind up overwhelmed and confused. It's a fairly straight forward process, but there's a lot of little bits that need to be addressed. We will help you!

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Wow thanks for that info. So we are looking at a 6 month wait. I am due to inherent a large some of money from my fathers estate and we will sell our house..does this need to be declared in anyway? My husband has worked in the construction industry for 10 years. He is what is called a groundworker(gangerman) meaning he has his own crew of men who carry out work under his instruction for the company he works for. Hes quite keen to have a job lined up but dont know where to start with the lingo for his job title, i know it will be massively different.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Also how do.we do tax return for us when he has only paid tax in uk?? Thanks so much for your replies so so helpful
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Sorry me again the form.i must complete is 420 dollars is that for each child aswell?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Also how do.we do tax return for us when he has only paid tax in uk?? Thanks so much for your replies so so helpful
US citizens have to US tax returns no matter where in the world they live. Any tax paid overseas is accepted as a credit against US tax due, and generally no tax is assessed against anyone who earns less than $90,000. In practice very few US citizens living overseas have to actually pay any tax unless they live in a low tax jurisdiction, such as in the Middle East.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am due to inherent a large some of money from my fathers estate and we will sell our house..does this need to be declared in anyway?
Not specifically, no. Since you're married, US immigration will treat your assets as your husband's assets - which will be useful when it comes time for him to complete form I-864 (Affidavit of Support). As I said... all in good time! You'll have many months to sort this out.

Also how do.we do tax return for us when he has only paid tax in uk.
That information is available at www.irs.gov.

Sorry me again the form.i must complete is 420 dollars is that for each child aswell?
I'm afraid so, yes.

I'd also like to clarify something for you... there will be many forms to complete. Some are your husband's responsibility, some are yours and the children's (although you'll be completing them on their behalf). The I-130 petition, for example, is his form - you don't complete it. As I alluded to earlier, immigration is a 2-step process with each step taking 2-3 months to complete. During the 1st step, almost all the forms are his; during the 2nd step, almost all the forms are yours! I know this will sound a lot like semantics and pedantry, but it's important that you not become confused about stuff like that! Indeed, keep a notebook handy and make note of such things as you move through the process - it will help you keep organized. Also, keep copies of everything you submit... everything!

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
US citizens have to US tax returns no matter where in the world they live. Any tax paid overseas is accepted as a credit against US tax due, and generally no tax is assessed against anyone who earns less than $90,000. In practice very few US citizens living overseas have to actually pay any tax unless they live in a low tax jurisdiction, such as in the Middle East.
ok so will his p60 from here be sufficient do you know?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:16 am
Account Closed

ok so will his p60 from here be sufficient do you know?
Yes - but only as a means of verifying his UK income. It's not a substitute for the US tax forms.

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2016, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - but only as a means of verifying his UK income. It's not a substitute for the US tax forms. .....
Wot Ian said. US tax forms are a PITA, but they must be completed, there is no alternative.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi so just to clarify. Ive made an appointment for him to go and get his adult passport. I need to.get the above forms one for me and all children for him.to fill.out. we are planning a trip to look at houses school.etc in October..we this be a problem if we are in process of emigration. Do we have to do.it all while still.in uk? Or could we complete process over there? Thankyou
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can visit the USA while the visa process is going on, yes. But you can't complete the process from inside the USA. You must have medicals done in the UK, and an interview at the US Embassy in London. You can't obtain a visa to the USA from inside the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.