Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

USA Citizen Wants to Marry English Citizen

USA Citizen Wants to Marry English Citizen

Old Mar 28th 2019, 2:43 am
Just Joined

1LegCeecil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA Citizen Wants to Marry English Citizen

I currently live in the US and have for my entire life. I have dated an English(British) girl for the past four years and am wanting to take the appropriate steps to marry her. What are the exact first steps that I need to take in this process? And then after that, what are the steps that are needed to compete this process? (What all options are there?) What is the expense and time windows for these things? And do you think I can do this alone? Or need to hire representation? ( she is here now and will be leaving in a month so I’m trying to see what all my options are)

Thank you in advance for your time and information.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: USA Citizen Wants to Marry English Citizen

Hi and thank you for joining BE

As your question is not about US immigration, but rather UK immigration, I have asked that your thread be moved to the appropriate forum which is Immigration and Citizenship in the UK in The Moving Back to the UK forum.

I made this determination because although you posted in the US marriage-based section, you asked nothing about US immigration. If wrong, sorry.

Marriage in the US is easy. You get your marriage license usually at city hall. If there is a waiting period, 1 to 3 days, you wait and then you go to a justice of the peace and get married. Cost is less than $50 altogether.

Best of luck to you and your fiancée.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 28th 2019 at 3:13 am.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE. It's not clear from your post which country you guys are intending to settle in. Can you clarify?

As for getting married, you can just do that now in the USA while she's here.

The rest of the process depends on which country one of you is immigrating to.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1LegCeecil
I currently live in the US and have for my entire life. I have dated an English(British) girl for the past four years and am wanting to take the appropriate steps to marry her. What are the exact first steps that I need to take in this process? And then after that, what are the steps that are needed to compete this process? (What all options are there?) What is the expense and time windows for these things? And do you think I can do this alone? Or need to hire representation? ( she is here now and will be leaving in a month so I’m trying to see what all my options are)

Thank you in advance for your time and information.
Bring her to USA

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 28th 2019 at 3:40 am. Reason: Fixed capitalization
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and welcome to BE. It's not clear from your post which country you guys are intending to settle in. Can you clarify?

As for getting married, you can just do that now in the USA while she's here.

The rest of the process depends on which country one of you is immigrating to.

Rene
bring her to the USA
what options do I have other than marry straight away iswell? I know that seems like a great option but I don’t know if it’s right with some circumstances right now.

Would love to have list list of options
time frame
cost
suggestion of best

Last edited by 1LegCeecil; Mar 28th 2019 at 3:20 am.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi and thank you for joining BE

As your question is not about US immigration, but rather UK immigration, I have asked that your thread be moved to the appropriate forum which is Immigration and Citizenship in the UK in The Moving Back to the UK forum.

I made this determination because although you posted in the US marriage-based section, you asked nothing about US immigration. If wrong, sorry.

Marriage in the US is easy. You get your marriage license usually at city hall. If there is a waiting period, 1 to 3 days, you wait and then you go to a justice of the peace and get married. Cost is less than $50 altogether.

Best of luck to you and your fiancée.
I want to bring her to USA eventually
Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clarifying. The 2 options are:

1. Marry first and do a CR-1 spouse immigrant visa.
2. Do a K-1 fiance visa and get married later.

Our Wiki guide has a comparison chart.

They both take about the same amount of time (about a year) and money (a couple of thousand dollars).

Two important things to ask yourselves to help you decide:
1. Would you rather spend a year apart as an engaged couple or married couple?
2. How important is it that the immigrant be able to work right away in the USA?

Rene