Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

Wikiposts

US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

Originally Posted by formula
If that were true, then the government would put a timeline before returning Brits can claim welfare or have free healthcare; and they haven't.

What they have said loud and clear is that they don't want immigrants coming in and talking from they UK when they put nothing in and paid their taxes to another country. That if someone wants to sponsor a partner, then they should show they have the funds to support them and these limits have been set. They are also closing the loophole; and already closed it in part; where non-EUs with 'no recourse to public funds' were able to get public funds through their Brit/ILR spouse, by removing the 2nd adult rebate for the public fund Working Tax Credits.

They have also closed the elderly dependant visa that allowed the 60+ to get to the UK and had free NHS when they arrived. The same reason was given for this closure: they paid nothing into the country. In fact, they have closed nearly all visas where the low skilled can stay in the UK.

Those who planned to retire home to the UK, will have the funds to support a non-EU spouse; will spend in the UK and will get a visa. Those who want to retire to the UK for welfare and NHS, will not get a spouse visa.

Many of working age won't have the savings to get a spouse visa through savings only, but they have a lot more choices than a non-EU retiree with no money and/or poor health. Their sponsor can work and the non-EU also has the choice of other visa routes if they are qualified.

They don't appear to be stopping ex pats from coming home and bringing their partner, but if you look at these visa changes then I think someone else summed it up on another board: the UK is not importing poverty anymore.
1. Regarding stopping the elderly dependent visa, not all returning non EU have given nothing to the UK. My nonEU husband paid taxes for years, has paid university fees for our daughter, financially assists his UK children when they are in need, continues to pay taxes, service charges etc. on two small flats,etc. And yet, it would be very unlikely he would be able to return to the UK to be looked after by his son or daughter should I die first.

2. Even if we have the funds to return and retire in the UK, if they bring the proposed plan to require non EU spouses to have medical insurance, then that would make it impossible for us, as a couple to return and retire in the UK. My husband would never be able to get medical insurance at his age and with his medical history. So that would definitely put an end to our option to live in the UK even if we had money to pay for medical treatment. Presently, as long as you are a resident, you are entitled to treatment under the NHS. They may well change that.

3. So the UK is not importing poverty any more? I must be reading erroneous information of immigrants squatting in people's houses, begging on trains and on the streets, fooling the authorities and getting benefits unlawfully, etc.

Yes, I made a choice to leave the UK because my husband wanted to return to his country and I take responsibility for that but, as humans, it is always nice to have options. Our children live in the UK and we have strong ties but our options are slowly being removed. So, even though I will continue to pay taxes, etc and my children will have to pay inheritance tax on our estate when we die, I am not welcome to live in my country as long as I am married to my nonEU husband. It is as simple as that. On the other hand droves of people with families and no money are allowed to go there to live and benefit from all the UK has to offer.