Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

janesvillesaint2112 has a spectacular aura aboutjanesvillesaint2112 has a spectacular aura aboutjanesvillesaint2112 has a spectacular aura about
Default US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

Looking for any support or guidance through this tedious process. Had hoped for a happy homecoming and now feel nothing but despair, anger and frustration over just wanting to bring my family home. Feel very much like the deck of cards is stacked against our family immigrating back to England, any success stories or information would be much appreciated!!!

As it stands now, my husband (the JanesvilleSaint) of 6 years is originally from Southampton, England and I'm a US citizen (originally from Chicago, IL). He and I met in Louisiana on a student exchange and after nearly 4 years of going back and forth from the US to UK we decided to marry in the US and settle until I finished my degree. We went through all the hoops and red tape that the US government laid out and were very happy to have finally received his Permanent Resident Status. Our plan was always to give the US our best go and eventually return to the UK but after many personal and financial hardships we ultimately decided to make the UK move back earlier than anticipated.

Despite working so very hard to get my husband here it looks as though we are about to undergo an even more complicated, lengthy and expensive process, all in the hopes that we can provide a better life for our 2 year old son. My husbands parents have very generously offered to help us get back on our feet if we can establish ourselves in the UK where their help will go farther than it can do while we're still in the US.

While my husband is incredibly eager to get home, we both have some major concerns about the new policies and stipulations for families relocating back to the UK. The first of which is the income and/or savings they want to see and the second being the separation that we'll certainly have to face while my husband is looking for work. To add injury to insult my husband just recently lost his job in the states and as a stay-at-home Mom with a small at home business, there is just no way I can provide for my whole family and the job market here is pretty bleak.

After discovering, just today, that the policies have yet again changed and that a combination of savings and income does not apply until after a job is acquired in the UK we are at a loss for what to do. We'd settled on my husband leaving next month and starting work and had assumed we could apply once he had a UK contract, now it appears he'd have to work 6 months before an application could even be submitted. Trying to keep the emotions out of play but I just can't fathom how backwards this all is and how a country can justify the separation of a family to comply to their ridiculous and unrealistic expectations of a families "worth." How many 30 year olds do you know with access to $60,000+ ? By eliminating hardworking and intelligent individuals like myself and my husband the only damage being done (apart from our own turmoil) is to the UK economy that would benefit from young educated & creative people like ourselves, not the retirees (no offense) that can actually afford to come but plan on retiring, not adding to the economy. At any rate, couldn't have a whole sob story without a little rant hopefully no one holds it against me and can provide us with any insight, personal stories, support or reasons pro or con to make this giant leap of faith. Many thanks in advance for whatever info you can share - godspeed to all of you in similar situations.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Wife/UK Husband: Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

I wish I could give you positive advice but all I can do is empathize with your situation. The restrictions being meted out to UK citizens with non EU spouses become more and more oppressive. With the proposed change to require the non EU spouse to have medical insurance cover is going to be yet another stumbling block for returning couples, particularly older ones with pre existing medical conditions. I wish you well and hope you find a way to return without too much time spent part.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:29 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Retirees add to the economy. They buy stuff; they buy houses and cars; furnishings and household goods. They pay tax if their retirement income is high enough.

And many are not in much better shape than people in their 30's. Many lost invested funds. Many have all their life savings tied up in a home that won't sell easily in today's market.

It's not just young people who are punished by these rules.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:45 am
Just Joined

janesvillesaint2112 has a spectacular aura aboutjanesvillesaint2112 has a spectacular aura aboutjanesvillesaint2112 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Retirees add to the economy. They buy stuff; they buy houses and cars; furnishings and household goods. They pay tax if their retirement income is high enough.

And many are not in much better shape than people in their 30's. Many lost invested funds. Many have all their life savings tied up in a home that won't sell easily in today's market.

It's not just young people who are punished by these rules.
I truly didn't mean to offend Rebeccajo, I'm empathetic to everyone's situation and know that these rules have taken its toll on people from all walks of life, as well as their families. I hastily made that comment because I have seen more success coming from older (usually more financially stable) couples then I have of those closer to my demographic. It was a generalization and not completely thought out. I'm saddened that this is all you took from my post because it wasn't meant to be provocative or disrespectful. I wasn't trying to compare my situation to that of another, it was a rant amongst a plea for support and help - not an invitation to be scolded or corrected. I do appreciate where you come from and extend my sincerest apologies if I aggravated an already frustrating and turbulent situation. I wish you the best of luck in whatever difficulties you face.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:35 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janesvillesaint2112
I truly didn't mean to offend Rebeccajo, I'm empathetic to everyone's situation and know that these rules have taken its toll on people from all walks of life, as well as their families. I hastily made that comment because I have seen more success coming from older (usually more financially stable) couples then I have of those closer to my demographic. It was a generalization and not completely thought out. I'm saddened that this is all you took from my post because it wasn't meant to be provocative or disrespectful. I wasn't trying to compare my situation to that of another, it was a rant amongst a plea for support and help - not an invitation to be scolded or corrected. I do appreciate where you come from and extend my sincerest apologies if I aggravated an already frustrating and turbulent situation. I wish you the best of luck in whatever difficulties you face.
I don't know where you are reading, but I'm actually seeing quite a bit of success from younger people in good professions.

The rules weren't just written to keep shirkers and skivers from bringing over foreign spouses. They were crafted, purposely, to keep British expats from returning home. The coalition goal of reducing migration to the "tens of thousands" comes from the calculation of immigrants as well as emigrants. So, once you are gone - they want you to stay gone.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:29 am
Just Joined

I don't know where you are reading, but I'm actually seeing quite a bit of success from younger people in good professions.

The rules weren't just written to keep shirkers and skivers from bringing over foreign spouses. They were crafted, purposely, to keep British expats from returning home. The coalition goal of reducing migration to the "tens of thousands" comes from the calculation of immigrants as well as emigrants. So, once you are gone - they want you to stay gone.
It should be fairly clear from my post that my husband and I are new to this, so truth be told I haven't exhausted all the possible sources for immigration statistics, success stories or otherwise. While we explored this route before and did some initial research we've found it difficult to find much information on specific cases of applications since the Immigration Policy changes in July 2012. Perhaps you could supply some of your sources since information is scarce?

From your overall demeanor I tend to think I've either rubbed you the wrong way or you too have had a negative experience with this unjust process and I'm right there with you . . . but for now all I'm looking for are some positive insights on how to navigate & expedite through this process with the least amount of emotional and financial damage. Instead I feel like I'm having to justify myself to someone that is clearly more knowledgeable on the subject, admittedly, but rather than harbor the hostility towards me I feel we should be supporting one another and the hardships we're all facing due to the impact of this unfair system. Although it may appear that the obstacles are continuing to mount against British expats and it certainly feels like we're unwelcomed guests, my husband and his family are fully committed to moving forward with this application and seeing it through to the end. Although you may have gotten the wrong impression from me, I do appreciate your insight, however bleak but realistic it might be.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:37 am
Just Joined

I also wanted to note that I did read your article on Transpondia and can see just how knowledgeable you are on the topic. I didn't mean to offend you in any way, I just want answers and to unite my family - the same as you. Now I'm going to take some of that advice and go BREATHE. Thanks for trying to help others navigate through this, even newbies like myself. All the best.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:37 pm
WhiteRabbit

janesvillesaint2112:

1. Has your husband earned the US equivalent of £18,600 in the last 12 months?

2. What is the likelihood that he could acquire a job in the UK earning that amount before he returns permanently to the UK?

Before you answer, find and read about "Category B" sponsors under the New Rules.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

SURELY, they don't want British citizens who went to live in another country to "stay gone"! Many of them retained their British citizenship and have every right to return "home" - no matter their age.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:48 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by windsong
SURELY, they don't want British citizens who went to live in another country to "stay gone"! Many of them retained their British citizenship and have every right to return "home" - no matter their age.
windsong, it's my belief they don't want expats coming back.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Being separated for 6 months while he establishes a residence and job isn't the end of the world. Dh and I did it while he sold the US house and I set up the new one and got Ds into nursery and school (he was nearly 4 when we did this)
It goes by quickly and is a blink of the eye in the great scheme of things.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

windsong, it's my belief they don't want expats coming back.
If that were true, then the government would put a timeline before returning Brits can claim welfare or have free healthcare; and they haven't.

What they have said loud and clear is that they don't want immigrants coming in and talking from they UK when they put nothing in and paid their taxes to another country. That if someone wants to sponsor a partner, then they should show they have the funds to support them and these limits have been set. They are also closing the loophole; and already closed it in part; where non-EUs with 'no recourse to public funds' were able to get public funds through their Brit/ILR spouse, by removing the 2nd adult rebate for the public fund Working Tax Credits.

They have also closed the elderly dependant visa that allowed the 60+ to get to the UK and had free NHS when they arrived. The same reason was given for this closure: they paid nothing into the country. In fact, they have closed nearly all visas where the low skilled can stay in the UK.

Those who planned to retire home to the UK, will have the funds to support a non-EU spouse; will spend in the UK and will get a visa. Those who want to retire to the UK for welfare and NHS, will not get a spouse visa.

Many of working age won't have the savings to get a spouse visa through savings only, but they have a lot more choices than a non-EU retiree with no money and/or poor health. Their sponsor can work and the non-EU also has the choice of other visa routes if they are qualified.

They don't appear to be stopping ex pats from coming home and bringing their partner, but if you look at these visa changes then I think someone else summed it up on another board: the UK is not importing poverty anymore.

Last edited by formula; Apr 6th 2013 at 6:03 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future

maybe move to another EU country first and then move to the UK later (backdoor it!! like every other pole!)

I was going through this a few years as a backup and find it crazy that its easier for me and my wife to get perm residence in the USA based on my needed skillset then simply needing cash to enter the UK (62,500 pounds was my calc)......its completely insane and another reason the UK is loosing all its high tech people based on government policy, nice one UK!!! and keep leaving the floodgates open or poles, romanians, czech that suck up the working class jobs also for peanut salaries.....

It's a shame as I am a Brit through and through, but seeing other immigration systems opens your eyes to how in the stone age the UK is and why job losses are rife....at least in biotech.

I would of been back "HOME" in the UK already looking to build the biotech sector, but could not liquify assets fast enough (house, shares etc) so took the easier greencard option .
Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:17 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by formula
If that were true, then the government would put a timeline before returning Brits can claim welfare or have free healthcare; and they haven't.

What they have said loud and clear is that they don't want immigrants coming in and talking from they UK when they put nothing in and paid their taxes to another country. That if someone wants to sponsor a partner, then they should show they have the funds to support them and these limits have been set. They are also closing the loophole; and already closed it in part; where non-EUs with 'no recourse to public funds' were able to get public funds through their Brit/ILR spouse, by removing the 2nd adult rebate for the public fund Working Tax Credits.

They have also closed the elderly dependant visa that allowed the 60+ to get to the UK and had free NHS when they arrived. The same reason was given for this closure: they paid nothing into the country. In fact, they have closed nearly all visas where the low skilled can stay in the UK.

Those who planned to retire home to the UK, will have the funds to support a non-EU spouse; will spend in the UK and will get a visa. Those who want to retire to the UK for welfare and NHS, will not get a spouse visa.

Many of working age won't have the savings to get a spouse visa through savings only, but they have a lot more choices than a non-EU retiree with no money and/or poor health. Their sponsor can work and the non-EU also has the choice of other visa routes if they are qualified.

They don't appear to be stopping ex pats from coming home and bringing their partner, but if you look at these visa changes then I think someone else summed it up on another board: the UK is not importing poverty anymore.

And if all that doesn't sound like trying to stop citizens from returning home, I don't know what does!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BostonBrit Expat Since 03
(backdoor it!! like every other pole!)
What a nasty, racist comment. Was it necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.