Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US/UK K3 - anyone used Holmes & Lolly or have any advice?

Wikiposts

US/UK K3 - anyone used Holmes & Lolly or have any advice?

Old Aug 23rd 2003, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Quiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US/UK K3 - anyone used Holmes & Lolly or have any advice?

I'm a Brit with a wonderful American fiancée, we can't wait to be together again and I just wanted to ask the people here if you had any advice.

We were going to do a K1 visa ourselves, but I got really worried that I'd screw it up and there'd be a huge delay until we could be together. We thought, if it would ensure I get there fast, we'd like to get an attorney - I'd be kicking myself so hard if the petition got returned for some tiny error I made..

I found this site (www.fianceevisas.com) who seem decent, has anyone used these people? Are they worth their $1800?

Here's a quote from the email I got back from them:

"The CA/UK combination for the K1 fiancee visa is currently taking us approximately 200 days from filing till visa issuance. This means that if there are any mistakes or minor omissions in your petition you visa issuance will be delayed by approximately 6 months each time it is returned. If you were able to marry her in England or in the US if you entered on visa waiver or on a tourist visa we could file for a K3 spousal visa for you. The K3 visa is currently taking us approximately 3 months from filing till visa issuance."

Immediate reaction: "200 days!!! We'll go with the K3 thank you very much!!"

I'd really like to hear from anyone who's used Homes & Lolly, or heard anything about them, good or bad.

Thanks for any advice guys
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 1:21 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default fishy and expensive

The whole bit about 6 months for each omission/mistake sounds to me more like a scare tactic, trying to drum up buisiness. As to the timelines of K-1 vs K-3, there are many postings around here to use as a guide.

If this is an uncomplicated case (no bans/deportations/criminal record of immigrant, etc. ) I find $1800 ridiculous.... but perhaps others will contradict me. It just ain't that tough to prepare it all yourself IMHO...but there are many that have more money than time...or brains.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Default Re: fishy and expensive

One of the reasons I'm asking is because it seemed like they were using scare tactics, if you look at their site they play up visa refusal and delay a lot...

If they are scare tactics they are certainly effective

Also.. is what they are suggesting about getting married during a visa waiver stay and then applying for a K3 going to cause problems in terms of fraud etc?

And yes, it's an uncomplicated case.

Last edited by Quiller; Aug 23rd 2003 at 1:31 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

What they forget to mention is that if you get married in the US on the VWP .. in order to file a K-3 you must return to your home country and the USC file.

I PM'ed you back... and forgot to mention.. just reseach the posts here regarding UK and K-1 (for CSC) and K-3's.

As long as you don't have any weird circumstances the K-3 route will more than likely be your quickest route.

You have a little time while you are waiting to even get married.. if you do a lot of research on here you can probably file your paperwork yourself. I paid $1600 for our lawyer to take care of things.. but we had weird circumstances in our case. I'm also lazy on these things so if our waiver is granted then I'll probably pay her more money to take care of the stuff after Leighton gets here.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks. It was actually me who forgot to mention that they mentioned it to me :P

What they told me was that they could file the K3 while I was there on the VWP, but I'd have to return for the interview and medical.

What has me worried now is the information on this page about getting married on the VWP and then filing a K3: http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm

*goes to look through archives*