Reload this Page >

US/UK K1 Questions: Complicated by the Travel Bug

Wikiposts

US/UK K1 Questions: Complicated by the Travel Bug

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st Timer on Forum: Need Help With US/UK K-1 Questions

I am a US Citizen while my fiance is a UK Citizen. We have a somewhat unique situation and I have four main questions concerning it:

We plan to get married December 2004. Prior to that, we will be spending a year (Nov 03-Nov 04) working and travelling in New Zealand (NZ) (we are both eligible for a working holiday visa to go work there). My questions...

1) Does anyone know if we will be able to file papers through the US Embassy in NZ, or must we file them via mail to the US Embassy in London and my service center in the US (the Vermont Service Center....)

2) Once all the forms are accepted by the US Embassy, how do the interview dates work? If we indicate in our paperwork that we have a specific wedding date, will they attempt to schedule an interview for before then? If they set a date for an interview and he cannot attend, are they flexible about changing the date?

3) If for some reason his fiance visa gets held up, would it be okay for him to still come to the US as a tourist, and get 'married' in a religious ceremony (with no marriage license) and then for him to return to the UK for his interview, return to US on fiance visa, and get legally married in a court? We want to have a definite wedding date, so are trying to think of all scenarios....

4) If we want to get married Dec 2004, when do you suggest we start the K1 process?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Last edited by mpd131; Jul 3rd 2003 at 12:21 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

I'm not sure about your first few questions but i think you have to file where you live...

theres also a part on one of the forms that asks you to write the date that the wedding is planned for. But if they actually look at it thats another question Ours went through in time though.

for the fourth question -I'm from Pittsburgh too and my husband is also from the UK. We filed in the middle of September last year and it took until the beginning of January. So I would say at least August, probably earlier to be safe. But it seems like all the cases are different you can never be too sure how long it will take