Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Medical - Questions (Worried)

Wikiposts

US Medical - Questions (Worried)

Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Will_B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Medical - Questions (Worried)

Hello guys,

I am married to a US Citizen, since June of last year.

We are filing for our visa at the moment and the I130 has been approved. Having a friend who moved to the US to be with his wife a few years ago, I have some understanding on the process and, all being well, am expecting a medical at some point in the future.

My question is; is that I have to take two medicines. An anti psychotic and an anti depressant for an anxeity disorder. It has been diagnosed as a social phobia. I have never been hospitalised, arrested, or had any what I would believe harmful behaviours like hurting myself or others. I am very down to earth, just quite anxious about certain things.

Anyway, I am now panicing because I do not want to be classed as inadmissble because of this. Obviously being with my wife is my life, and I love her more than anything in the world.

Does anybody have any advice on what to expect and what may happen? I will be honest with the medical examinaor, as that is how I am.

My question is, does being on those medicines and having a history of anxiety rule me inadmissble?

Thank you for your time guys, great forum x
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Medical - Questions (Worried)

You are not inadmissable on medical grounds unless the doctor makes that determination after the medical. No need to second guess the outcome. It is simply one possible outcome, which is also faced by every other potential immigrant.

Try not to worry.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

What will probably happen is you go for the medical, the doctor will ask you about it, and then ask your GP for a letter (or ask you to get a letter sent from your GP). The letter would have your history, diagnosis, treatment, and a statement that you're not a danger to yourself, property, or anybody else. The GP will charge a few tenners for this.

That was our experience for depression, not with the anxiety issues. YMMV. Just relax and go through the process and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Will_B is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your responses. I am sure my doctor will be able to testify to the fact I am as harmless as a fly if needed. Suferring from a nervous disposition, it's quite stressful over thinking the medical! Everything else in the VISA should be fine. I'm not and never have been a criminal or arrested, my wife has a good job and place to stay in America, and we are a legtimate couple. I would hate to let her down by being denied over something like a medical issue.

Anyway, thank you again. Hopefully I'll hear something soon about the medical so I can start mentally preparing for it.

Cheers guys x
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_B
I am sure my doctor will be able to testify to the fact I am as harmless as a fly if needed.
Then be proactive about it. Get a letter from your doctor before you go to the immigration medical. The letter should state your condition, your medication, and the prognosis. It should also specifically mention that you pose no threat to yourself or anyone else. Have it ready to turn over if (and only if) the US immigration doctor has questions about your condition.

Ian