Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Immigration with Criminal Record

Wikiposts

US Immigration with Criminal Record

Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Immigration with Criminal Record

Originally Posted by Tracym
As I believe Mr. F said, and my understanding also:

There IS NO WAIVER available for a drug offense. Not I-601. None.

People keep mentioning it, but as far as I am aware in the case of drug offenses (other than a small amount of marijuana) it does not exist.
What else triggers a permanent ban of this kind? What about those who have misrepresented themselves as US citizens, for example? Would they be eligible for a waiver?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My fault, I'm afraid. But you live and learn -- can't be right all the time.
I certainly wan't referring to you Ian. You so very helpful on the boards. Everyone makes mistakes, of course. It iwas people who were insisting, after the truth had come out.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wan't referring to you Ian.
???

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
???

Ian
She means David...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
She means David...
I do? so confused....

I meant ian-mstm made a simple mistake, no problem.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I do? so confused....

I meant ian-mstm made a simple mistake, no problem.
But you were responding to a post by Fatbrit (David)...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
But you were responding to a post by Fatbrit (David)...
aargh you're totally right of course. Told you I was confused.

OK, my compliments to Ian and Fatbrit. Sorry guys.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:34 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marocco
What else triggers a permanent ban of this kind? What about those who have misrepresented themselves as US citizens, for example? Would they be eligible for a waiver?
Hi:

Again, it is in the definitions. If one already has LPR and has been in the US for 7 years in any status before institution of removal proceedings and 5 years have elapsed since admission to LPR, they are entitled apply for "cancellation of removal." [The syntax of the foregoing sentence is somewhat fractured for a reason.]

I looked into this carefully in the McDonald voting case.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/1F5E1DEA0281793E88256FB80059E7FE/$file/0371986.pdf?openelement

On the definition, the statute is actually a little contradictory and makes room for immigration lawyers to make some money off of litigation. The ground addresses "false" claims to citizenship. The term "false" is a "term of art" which is much narrower than "erroneous" or "mistaken." However, the next subsection then specifically describes an "exception" from such "false claims" -- the "exception" is not a "false claim" in that it includes a reasonable belief on the part of the claimant that she was, in fact, a US Citizen. There are competing rules of statutory construction that can come into play on this one -- way beyond the scope of an chat room posting.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:52 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

I applied for K1 .. then I applied, and was granted an I-601 waiver for a drug offense.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:04 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by souls canuck
I applied for K1 .. then I applied, and was granted an I-601 waiver for a drug offense.
What kind of drug offense?

Was it a Class A drug?
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by souls canuck
Hi:

A waiver is available for simple possession of less than 30 oz of marijuana. Also, some crimes indirectly related to drugs may not be "per se" a crime relating to drugs, but may be an "Crime Involving Moral Turpitude".
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:14 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

it was for 1 gram of pot in 1986.. so right you are, simple possesion of Marijuiana.. and a long long time ago..

we all make mistakes.. some are forgiven.. some are not.