Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Immigration with Criminal Record

Wikiposts

US Immigration with Criminal Record

Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

spoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nice
Default US Immigration with Criminal Record

Hi

I have been married to an American girl for 2 years now living in the UK and we are thinking of Immigrating to the US
Problem is i have a criminal record.
I was convicted about 7 years ago for possesion of a Class A drug
Been reading up about it, but would like to know if it is going to be a BIG problem and what do i need to do to resolve it

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Immigration with Criminal Record

Originally Posted by spoons79
Hi

I have been married to an American girl for 2 years now living in the UK and we are thinking of Immigrating to the US
Problem is i have a criminal record.
I was convicted about 7 years ago for possesion of a Class A drug
Been reading up about it, but would like to know if it is going to be a BIG problem and what do i need to do to resolve it

Thanks in advance
Hi:

Depends upon what a "Class A" drug is in the jurisdiction of a conviction.

Most drug convictions are a lifetime bar under US Immigration Laws.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have problems. Search this forum (or Google) for I-601 waiver. Hope you've never visited the US before, say on a VWP, and neglected to mention it.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You'll have problems. Search this forum (or Google) for I-601 waiver. Hope you've never visited the US before, say on a VWP, and neglected to mention it.
Hi:

What does an I-601 have to do with it? If he has problems, I really don't think you give him false hopes.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

What does an I-601 have to do with it? If he has problems, I really don't think you give him false hopes.
Can't he apply, get rejected, then ask for a waiver? I mean generally, without putting in all the other pedantic steps.

Thought "You'll have problems" suggested he would have problems. Should I have written "You'll have big problems"?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

spoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nicespoons79 is just really nice

I have never been to the US before nor applied for a visa..

sry, not to sure what you mean by "Depends upon what a "Class A" drug is in the jurisdiction of a conviction" could you explian further?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to the US before nor applied for a visa..

sry, not to sure what you mean by "Depends upon what a "Class A" drug is in the jurisdiction of a conviction" could you explian further?
What drugs are we talking about and how much?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Can't he apply, get rejected, then ask for a waiver? I mean generally, without putting in all the other pedantic steps.

Thought "You'll have problems" suggested he would have problems. Should I have written "You'll have big problems"?
Hi:

IMHO, has not said anything yet to indicate that he was convicted of simple possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana. I read it again and I simply don't see it.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:01 pm
Septicity

Hi:

IMHO, has not said anything yet to indicate that he was convicted of simple possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana. I read it again and I simply don't see it.
Dunno -- we're still waiting for the OP to give us that at the moment. At least we know he didn't arrive on the VWP with such a grievous crime hidden from the puritanical eyes of the POE inspector. And from my experience, you'd find it difficult to get arrested in Blighty for a Mary Jane offense unless you were towing a 30-ton truck of the stuff. But we'll await his reply.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

It was 25 ecstacy pills

edit

Last edited by spoons79; Oct 27th 2007 at 3:05 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's interesting because Ecstasy was legal in the US up until the 1980s. (July 1985, my 18th birthday)

And I know someone busted for buying it who still got security clearance later (and he was over 18 when convicted).

Last edited by snowbunny; Oct 27th 2007 at 3:10 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It was 25 ecstacy pills
In the UK, a Class A drug conviction carries a maximum 7-year sentence for possession, and a life term for trafficking. That sounds pretty serious to me.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2007, 5:12 pm
Septicity

It was 25 ecstacy pills

edit
You'll need a waiver. Or rather you'll need a lawyer -- not a DIY job this one if you want to give yourself the best chances. Make sure whoever you choose to represent you is conversant with 601 waivers and has had successes with your type of case.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

You'll need a waiver. Or rather you'll need a lawyer -- not a DIY job this one if you want to give yourself the best chances. Make sure whoever you choose to represent you is conversant with 601 waivers and has had successes with your type of case.
Hi:

Ecstasy is not marijuana. Why do you keep talking about I-601's?

He needs a waiver to VISIT or any other non-immigrant classification. He will need an ACT OF CONGRESS to immigrate.

We had a recent spat about the so-called "simple question" which was not simple at all.

Assuming his description of his conviction is accurate, the OP's question is a "simple" one. The only suggestion I would make to him is that he should perhaps pay an attorney to examine the conviction records carefully to see what the conviction is actually for. I've seen convictions that are not quite what the defendant thinks they are for.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 6:23 pm
Septicity

Hi:

Ecstasy is not marijuana. Why do you keep talking about I-601's?

He needs a waiver to VISIT or any other non-immigrant classification. He will need an ACT OF CONGRESS to immigrate.

We had a recent spat about the so-called "simple question" which was not simple at all.

Assuming his description of his conviction is accurate, the OP's question is a "simple" one. The only suggestion I would make to him is that he should perhaps pay an attorney to examine the conviction records carefully to see what the conviction is actually for. I've seen convictions that are not quite what the defendant thinks they are for.
So you live and learn! Bit tough that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.