Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Us husband is disabled i want to move to the us

Us husband is disabled i want to move to the us

Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Us husband is disabled i want to move to the us

Originally Posted by Rete
No, I read your post twice before "attacking" as you see it. And yes, you were judgmental about her ability to find gainful employment, taking care of a disabled husband, etc.

Again, that's how you are viewing things. Your right to do so.

Er, no, and no!

Pointing out that a sister company has no obligation to offer her a job, especially without even being approached is, as Pulaski pointed out, realistic, not judgmental.

...and show me where I said anything about 'taking care of a disabled husband'? I believe, if you take the time to read like you claim to have done (twice, no less), you'll find I asked about US-recognized qualifications.

NOW who's being judgmental?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:08 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest, is this "sister company" fortunately located in the home town of the OP's husband or elsewhere?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:14 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michamoo09
i know the father has rights an im not about stopping him seeing his kids or denying him access i have an arrangement in place that he would see them more than he even does now regardless of how much of a piece of shit he is he is still there father an that is not something i take likely
With such a massive emphasis on money in this thread how will you move the children an ocean away and enable their father even more access than at current? Transatlantic travel (and accommodation) is not cheap.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:39 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I am also of the opinion that it would probably be better to see about moving the husband to the UK and not just for financial reasons. I'm thinking that it's better to leave the children among their friends, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc. They are just starting school and settling in and now the proposal is to uproot them.

OP, I know you think you are giving them a better life, and that is laudable. From what I understand this is based on the belief that you will be paid more in the USA than you are now (and that may be the case). But the reason that the comparable wage is higher here is because the cost of living is so much higher. You are comparing apples and oranges. Personally I would rather raise my children (if I had any) in the U.K. than here. Have you looked into how schools perform in his area? Have you any idea how much college/university costs here? Giving your children a better life has so many factors. Taking them away from all their friends and family is not always a good idea. And calling their father names on a public forum is also not smart if you are preparing to go into the "who's the better parent" battle with the courts. Remember that what you put online stays forever. You wouldn't want your children to read that in the future.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 12:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I am also of the opinion that it would probably be better to see about moving the husband to the UK and not just for financial reasons. I'm thinking that it's better to leave the children among their friends, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc. They are just starting school and settling in and now the proposal is to uproot them. ....
I have to disagree there. If you have children, the best time to move them is when they are less than ten years old - they are very flexible and make friends easily, so there probably isn't a better time to move them than when they are only 4-5 years old.
.... OP, I know you think you are giving them a better life, and that is laudable. From what I understand this is based on the belief that you will be paid more in the USA than you are now (and that may be the case). But the reason that the comparable wage is higher here is because the cost of living is so much higher. ....
Only in some areas - aren't you in California? In small towns and rural areas across much of America the cost of living is very reasonable. In much of CA, and most of the area between the greater DC area and Boston, not so much!

The cost of housing can be much less than in the UK, but the cost of housing in a safe part of town with good schools (schools are linked in most cases to the house the children live in), aren't anywhere near such a bargain.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2017 at 12:26 am.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 12:57 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Me? California? Nope! We are in western Washington, about an hour from Seattle.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Me? California? Nope! We are in western Washington, about an hour from Seattle.
OK, PNW - same difference, not cheap.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have to disagree there. If you have children, the best time to move them is when they are less than ten years old - they are very flexible and make friends easily, so there probably isn't a better time to move them than when they are only 4-5 years old.

Only in some areas - aren't you in California? In small towns and rural areas across much of America the cost of living is very reasonable. In much of CA, and most of the area between the greater DC area and Boston, not so much!

The cost of housing can be much less than in the UK, but the cost of housing in a safe part of town with good schools (schools are linked in most cases to the house the children live in), aren't anywhere near such a bargain.
We will agree to disagree. I was moved from the U.K. to Germany at less than a year old and back again at the age of 6. This was due to parents from different countries who both thought their country was the best. I was also shunted back and forth during the holidays. I hated it. At least I had some relatives in each country. But I didn't settle into school well. I never really made friends.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, PNW - same difference, not cheap.
It's not too bad here. Rent is $1250 for 1400 square feet with panoramic views of the Cascades and no neighbours in sight or earshot. 6.5 acres, 2 garages, shop, paddock, barn and stables. Our horses love it. But everything else - household goods, clothes, car insurance, mobile phone and internet, good food - all more expensive than the U.K.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:08 am

We will agree to disagree. I was moved from the U.K. to Germany at less than a year old and back again at the age of 6. This was due to parents from different countries who both thought their country was the best. I was also shunted back and forth during the holidays. I hated it. At least I had some relatives in each country. But I didn't settle into school well. I never really made friends.
Well that's a completely different set of circumstances! That's not being moved once, with your parent(s) which is what I was talking about and happened to me, when I was eight; you were being punted back and forth for lord only knows what reason!
Old Jun 14th 2017, 3:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get your employer to transfer you, they pay all the costs deal with the immigration issues and then adjust through marriage.