Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Us husband is disabled i want to move to the us

Us husband is disabled i want to move to the us

Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Michamoo09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Us husband is disabled i want to move to the us

Yeh its not the same company so i cant transfer it is a sister company but thank you
Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

One possible issue maybe, if you new husband is claiming disability, there is a limit to the amount of assets he may have before the disability payment gets reduced. I think the limit is something very low, like $2000.

This link may be helpful, I was unable to find anything on the Government website.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8514747_ssi...ngs-bonds.html

Last edited by mrken30; Jun 13th 2017 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michamoo09
... want to see if i can do this without affidavit...
No, you can't. Your USC husband must file an I-864 on your behalf. There is no mechanism that allows him not to file the I-864.

... i would like to take the responsibility as his wife...
I'm sure you would... but unless you're a nurse licensed to practice in that state, it may not be covered by his insurance - and may, in fact, put him at a disadvantage.

... im sure he wont be coverd for the nurse once i am living with him anyway
What makes you think the need for a nurse is decided by whether or not someone else lives there?

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

I know i need an affidavit from my husband sorry i ment without having to get another one from a joint sponser
And as for his care needs as his wife i am more than capable of meeting them as i have done so on my visits and what i ment by him not being coverd for a nurse once i move in was because his is insurance is based on him being alone an on ssi which he wont recive ssi once my income starts becuse we are married an my income will be taken into account so his insurance will change to
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i ment without having to get another one from a joint sponser
Ah, yes - that would make things considerably less complicated. Good luck.

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

SSI is really for people that live alone or receive assistance with ADLs, as you clearly already know. As a result, it will most likely stop once you become resident in the household.

I guess my questions is this - if he has a nurse help him (presumably he is also a Medicaid recipient) when what about help he needs when you are work?

The immigration system is really designed to keep out people who are going to potentially be a drain on public resources (the limited ones that you might be eligible for as an immigrant, anyway) Have you done sufficient research to ensure that any prospective income will adequately replace what he receives in SSI and more? Since he may well also no longer have access to Food Stamps etc.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, I really don't think you've thought this through very well, and before you say 'that's not the advice I signed up for', well, yes it is! You posted on a public forum and you will get opinions whether you ask for them or not. You can't control and have no right to expect specific answers, especially when what you post has more holes in it than Swiss cheese!

First, you are 'planning' on taking your kids out of the country which, no matter how much of a low-life you may think he is, the father has rights, and the main one is to stop you taking them 4000 miles away!

Second, you are moving to be with a disabled spouse that potentially has no income. You do NOT have a job and, no matter how much you say they'll take you on, without a letter of acceptance, that's simply just fantasy! Because it's a 'sister company', that doesn't mean a job is automatic and certainly is not something on which you can base your future plans!

Third, do you have qualifications in providing health care for your husband? If so, are they recognized in the US?

I'm not trying to be mean, just to open your eyes from other peoples' point of view.

Remember also, we can only comment on what you've told us and, to me at least, it appears you may well have a rocky road ahead.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
SSI is really for people that live alone or receive assistance with ADLs, as you clearly already know. As a result, it will most likely stop once you become resident in the household.
That is not true. I know of many people who receive SSI who are married and receive disability checks from SS and I know of two young men with colitis who live at home with Mommy who receive them as well. Disability checks are for people who because of medical/mental reasons cannot work. One such people is Songbird's husband who is a paralyzed from the neck down. The nurse is not paid through SS but provided by the State. In their case when WV cut back on this service, Songbird had to assume all nursing duties for her husband.

I guess my questions is this - if he has a nurse help him (presumably he is also a Medicaid recipient) when what about help he needs when you are work?

The immigration system is really designed to keep out people who are going to potentially be a drain on public resources (the limited ones that you might be eligible for as an immigrant, anyway) Have you done sufficient research to ensure that any prospective income will adequately replace what he receives in SSI and more? Since he may well also no longer have access to Food Stamps etc.
Her working will not stop his disability check from SS. You are assuming he gets welfare and food stamps. Nothing of the sort was mentioned by the OP. Having money does not mean you won't still get your SS disability check. A friend with a portfolio of just under 1 million received disability checks until she was eligible for social security at age 62.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate honesty an would prefer people poke wholes an ask questions otherwise im not going to get any were

i know the father has rights an im not about stopping him seeing his kids or denying him access i have an arrangement in place that he would see them more than he even does now regardless of how much of a piece of shit he is he is still there father an that is not something i take likely

As for the job it is somthing im going to look into this is just me finding information out so that i can find the right way to go about all of this

An as for caring for my husband his needs are not really medical but more physical so no i dont need any qualifications on this
I know this wont be an easy road we both new it when we started dating then when we feel pregnant last year an lost our baby when we got engaged an especially when we got married an i dont expect this to be easy at all but i just want to make sure im going about it the right way weather it takes months or years its about me an the love of my life being together as one our family as one
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

I'm not trying to be mean, just to open your eyes from other peoples' point of view.

Remember also, we can only comment on what you've told us and, to me at least, it appears you may well have a rocky road ahead.
Trying or not, you are being extremely judgmental. She came to look for answers to specific question(s). Whether you feel that she didn't think it through, blah, blah, blah, you have no way of knowing if she did or did not. It is apparently not something you would have done but then she is not you.

She is married to a USC and she is looking into the affidavit of support needed to complete the visa process. If you have any constructive advice to offer, then please do so. Let's not alienate first time posters because they don't fall into what is considered normal/rational behavior by your or anyone else's standards.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Trying or not, you are being extremely judgmental. She came to look for answers to specific question(s). Whether you feel that she didn't think it through, blah, blah, blah, you have no way of knowing if she did or did not. It is apparently not something you would have done but then she is not you.

She is married to a USC and she is looking into the affidavit of support needed to complete the visa process. If you have any constructive advice to offer, then please do so. Let's not alienate first time posters because they don't fall into what is considered normal/rational behavior by your or anyone else's standards.
Rete,

Did you even READ my post or just launch an attack on me for the fun of it? This is not the first time, either!

There is NOTHING judgmental in my post, just statements of fact, allowing the OP to realize what lies ahead and pointing out what may or may not be more difficult than she thinks.

Caring for a disabled relative is not an easy thing to take on and you know as well as I do that dependent care is not only very difficult, but is challenging in more ways than one. Whether the OP is qualified can make a difference to how an benefits may be paid, which is why I asked the question. It doesn't matter if the OP feels 'capable' of doing it.

This is, after all, a public forum. I have every right to state the facts and, if I actually wanted to, BE judgmental. I don't see you jumping over others when they're as blunt as all-get-out. Just me. So get over yourself and take your own advice. If you've nothing constructive to add, don't add anything at all!
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:20 pm
Concierge

No, I read your post twice before "attacking" as you see it. And yes, you were judgmental about her ability to find gainful employment, taking care of a disabled husband, etc.

Again, that's how you are viewing things. Your right to do so.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi me i have very recently been to the us to visit my partner an ended up getting married completely out the blue last minute decision on the anniversary of our engagement anyway i have returned to the uk as my intention was never to stay but for our beliefs we wanted to right in the eyes of god i am looking to return on just another visit in August for 4 weeks with my two children but me an my husband want to start the i-130 will this stop me being able to visit in August? Also my husband is disabled has been most of his life from having cancer as a child i will be his primary career an also the sole income provider we do not have anyone as a sponser is there another way around this for the visa application? Thanks
Just playing devil's advocate, but as you state that you have a good job now, have you put any thought to your husband moving to the UK? I do not know the ins and outs of getting him established on the NHS, so this could be a non-starter ... but in the long run it could offer a better opportunity for you to have a life together because of the expenses that you will take on for health insurance for yourself and your children in the no-safety-net US.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... And yes, you were judgmental about her ability to find gainful employment, .....
That's not judgmental, that's realistic. It's easy to make positive noises about being hired, but when the crunch comes things can grind to a halt for no obvious reason. My employer in London was apparently keen to transfer me to Chicago, and paid for a two week fact-finding trip, and despite praise for my work while I was in the Chicago, for no reason that was ever communicated to me, the process came to a crashing halt.

In short nice words from employees in an affiliated business mean nothing and I wouldn't bank on that to pay for lunch, much less move across the Atlantic thinking that I had a well paid job "in the bag" on the strength of a few words of encouragement.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2017 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Her working will not stop his disability check from SS. You are assuming he gets welfare and food stamps. Nothing of the sort was mentioned by the OP. Having money does not mean you won't still get your SS disability check. A friend with a portfolio of just under 1 million received disability checks until she was eligible for social security at age 62.
My mistake - I was indeed referring to SSDI which is means tested.

Although how is disability not welfare??

''Since he may well receive Food Stamps'' is what I said, I made no assumption. Stop attacking people and read what they actually say. One wonders what vested interest you have in this topic, because it isn't the first time you've leapt down people throats.

I do not believe the OP is necessarily going into this with her eyes wide open, and sometime good advice involves a modicum of education - as we frequently do on BE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.