Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US fiance visiting me in UK - airport problems?

Wikiposts

US fiance visiting me in UK - airport problems?

Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default US fiance visiting me in UK - airport problems?

Hi there

This may not strictly be the right forum to ask, but my American fiance is planning to visit me in the UK soon. We are worried about immigration control turning her away in the airport.

We are in the process of preparing a fiance visa application for her, and a visit would strengthen our case. But it's catch 22. To come here for a visit she has to get past immigration.

We believe honesty is best, and if/when questioned she will explain we are doing things through the proper channels.

So does anyone think she may be turned away simply because she's visiting a fiance? She says she's heard horror stories of people getting sent home from passport control. It worries us both, because a refusal would put a mark on our visa application.....
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US fiance visiting me in UK - airport problems?

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Hi there

This may not strictly be the right forum to ask, but my American fiance is planning to visit me in the UK soon. We are worried about immigration control turning her away in the airport.

We are in the process of preparing a fiance visa application for her, and a visit would strengthen our case. But it's catch 22. To come here for a visit she has to get past immigration.

We believe honesty is best, and if/when questioned she will explain we are doing things through the proper channels.

So does anyone think she may be turned away simply because she's visiting a fiance? She says she's heard horror stories of people getting sent home from passport control. It worries us both, because a refusal would put a mark on our visa application.....
It's possible. It's happened before, do a little bit of a search on here and on the "US Immigration" forum.

She might be just fine, she might not. There are no guarantees.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Depend also on how long she is visiting for...
If she is comng for a 2 week vacation ..she will have no problem ..
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

She's coming for three weeks. That's the plan anyway. We figure the longer she is here, the more face to face time we have to justify a fiance visa. I've visited her in the US for one week. We've known each other online and on the phone for over five years prior to that (encase anyone is wondering )

I think she may be nervous in the airport. And I know immigration look for that kind of thing. When I went to the US, the immigration official hesitated letting me go and asked how I knew the person I was intending to stay with. I'm pretty calm with this kind of thing and have travelled a lot, but it was a tense moment for even me.

As for all potential marriages, it feels like a life or death situation really. The whim of an immigration desk official could alter our future dramatically....
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's a quaint notion... but she is *not* obligated to offer any information not specifically requested.

So does anyone think she may be turned away simply because she's visiting a fiance?
It is not illegal for her to visit you... and she is *not* obligated to mention the word "fiance" *unless* she is specifically asked whether she is there to visit her fiance!

She says she's heard horror stories of people getting sent home from passport control.
For each single horror story she's heard, there are a 100,000 successful entries. You never hear about those because they aren't considered newsworthy!

It worries us both, because a refusal would put a mark on our visa application.
Well, in this case... not really!

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

She's coming for three weeks. .................it feels like a life or death situation really. The whim of an immigration desk official could alter our future dramatically....
Have a snoop around the uk-yankee community......... you'll probably find quite a few real life stories and some useful advice there!

http://www.uk-yankee.com/
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice

My fiancee has visited me here in the UK three times (once as my fiancee) and has never had any problems. We were nervous the last time as she was wearing the ring but she sailed through.

A three week visit shouldn't raise any alarm bells but if you want to be sure then get her to bring ties showing she's not going to overstay. Your knowledge of the UK Fiance visa process is also a plus point.

I'd also recommend taking a look at UK Yankee.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

Hi Folks

Currently my Fiance is staying with me in the UK for 6 weeks (unfortunately she has used up 4 already, she landed on 5th July) there was no problems at immigration, all she had to do was prove she was going to go back to the US to do this she showed the Immigration officer her return ticket.

as you have already said honesty is the best policy and she explained the situation (the fact we see each other 2 times a year and the fact my parents!! paid for her ticket for six weeks as they wanted to meet her!)

Which way around will the fiance be, are you moving to the states or are they moving to the UK, because in my case its me moving to the states

Any ways more on the visit and reception to her from my parents later.... no worries though all is

Last edited by UK_Tomcat_Fan; Aug 4th 2008 at 9:18 pm. Reason: added question on which way the moving is
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:25 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee and I visited each other every few months during our visa process. We both just said we were visiting friends or on holiday which was true since he is one of my best friends! Never had any problems.He just got approved for his K1 in June.