Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Female to join boyfriend in the UK (vice versa)

US Female to join boyfriend in the UK (vice versa)

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Myboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Female to join boyfriend in the UK (vice versa)

I'm a British Male, 26, A-levels, currently work in Sales & Marketing in Printing. She's American, 32, bachelor's degree in Social Sciences and associates degree in Culinary Arts. Currently Chef de Cuisine. Met in New Zealand March, 2010 and travelled around New Zealand & Asia together. Until we departed each other’s company in Dec 2010.
She has visited England Nov, 2012 and met my family. I will visit US in Feb 2013.
Whilst travelling and visiting each other’s Countries have plenty of photo’s, joint names on tickets.
(Reason for large gap – saving funds, furthering career’s)
Now in the process of closing the gap and wanting to live together. Don’t believe we can qualify for Partner/Defacto Visa due to not living together continually in the past two years? (Please advise if I’m wrong)
How are we able to apply for a joint bank account when neither of us live in each other’s country. Spoke to my bank (Natwest) She must visit the bank in person with a Passport showing she can remain in the UK for more than 6months. Also have a utility bill in both of our names.

What we are after - We would like to live in the same country, both be able to work, marriage is a possibility further down the line, looking at living together first.
Options which we have looked into for UK – Sponsoring a General Visitor (She’s unable to work)
Working in the UK – Skilled Workers – Tier 2 (General)
Partner Of a British Citizen or settled person

If we were living together with joint accounts and joint utility bills on a visitor visa how long until we could apply for a partner visa?
Also apart from marriage straight away is there any options that I can join my partner in America and work? (Seems I lack qualifications in regards of visa’s we’ve looked into)

Look forward to your responses and advice.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Female to join boyfriend in the UK (vice versa)

For questions about living and working in the UK visit our sister site UK Yankee.

As for loving in the US, your only real alternative is gaining sponsorship for some kind of working visa. However, since you do not have a degree to get an H1B you would need 12 years experience in the relevant field.

My initial read is your only chance to life in the US is through marriage, weather that be the K1 or CR1 visas.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myboo
Now in the process of closing the gap and wanting to live together.
First, decide where you want to live. If you want to live in the UK, then this forum is not the correct one. Try http://www.uk-yankee.com/. If you want to live in the US, then you need to clarify some of the terms that you're using. For example...

Don’t believe we can qualify for Partner/Defacto Visa due to not living together continually in the past two years?
There is no "Partner/Defacto Visa" in the US. There is only a B-2 cohabiting visa... and yes, you must actually be living together for a substantial period of time before being eligible for this visa.

How are we able to apply for a joint bank account when neither of us live in each other’s country.
It sounds like you're trying to manufacture evidence that you live together when, in fact, you don't. Otherwise, there's no need for a joint bank account or utility bills in both names.

We would like to live in the same country, both be able to work, marriage is a possibility further down the line, looking at living together first.
There is no "live together in the US" visa. You either marry, or you get an employment-/investment-based visa.

If we were living together with joint accounts and joint utility bills on a visitor visa how long until we could apply for a partner visa?
There's no such thing as a "partner visa". Are you, again, thinking of a B-2 cohabiting visa? I suggest that a year is the minimum time needed to be eligible to apply for the B-2 cohabiting visa. There is no visa, however, that will allow you to live together in order to then become eligible for a B-2 cohabiting visa.

Also apart from marriage straight away is there any options that I can join my partner in America and work?
Generally speaking, there are only 3 routes to the US: family-based visa, employment-based visa, and investment-based visa. If marriage is out, that leaves the other two. If you don't have the education or skill requirements for an employment-based visa, that leaves investment. And if you don't have the $$, then that is out also.

It often happens, as it seems in your case, that there simply is no appropriate visa! C'est la vie!

I suggest that she either try to get to the UK, or you both try to get to a 3rd country.

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:47 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It sounds like you're trying to manufacture evidence that you live together when, in fact, you don't. Otherwise, there's no need for a joint bank account or utility bills in both names.
Ian, I'm confused... my husband is visiting the US now while our I-130 is in process, and we have added him to the lease, the utility bills, and my car insurance, and we just got a joint bank account. No, he does not "live" with me; he can't because our I-130 is still processing and he is here on the VWP! Are you saying that this information we prepared so carefully looks to Immigration like we are trying to fake a legitimate relationship?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with Ian, it seems to me you are building evidence in order to demonstrate an ongoing union. I dont really understand however why you need joint accounts etc if you havent even made the decision on who is moving where.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Myboo is an unknown quantity at this point

The decision on the joint accounts was purely to build evidence, we were going to place money into this account each month and then use this money for visa's, flights, etc...
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:23 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

The decision on the joint accounts was purely to build evidence, we were going to place money into this account each month and then use this money for visa's, flights, etc...
Same here, we wouldn't even get a joint account if it weren't for the need to provide proof of commingled finances. As it is we will still maintain personal accounts for ourselves in addition to the joint account. Doesn't mean we don't love each other passionately and want to be together every single minute!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Ian, I'm confused... my husband is visiting the US now while our I-130 is in process, and we have added him to the lease, the utility bills, and my car insurance, and we just got a joint bank account. No, he does not "live" with me; he can't because our I-130 is still processing and he is here on the VWP! Are you saying that this information we prepared so carefully looks to Immigration like we are trying to fake a legitimate relationship?

You are married ---- they are NOT.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am a know nothing here, and know even less about the British end of things than the American. Just raising what looks, to my layman eyes, dodgy.

It looks like you are putting the cart before the horse, isn't the visa to allow people to live together, rather than living together to allow people to get a visa? I wonder if your plans may actually work against you?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Ian, I'm confused...
I was responding to the OP's situation, not yours. The OP is trying to build evidence for a B-2 cohabiting visa. Your situation is totally different. I'm not sure why you're try to draw some sort of relationship between the two situations.

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:18 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I was responding to the OP's situation, not yours. The OP is trying to build evidence for a B-2 cohabiting visa. Your situation is totally different. I'm not sure why you're try to draw some sort of relationship between the two situations.

Ian
Because I'm confused. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the B-2 cohabitating visa mentioned in this thread. I don't believe this is a viable solution for the OP, because his girlfriend is a USC. The B-2 cohabitating partner visa is meant for two non-USC's who wish to live together in the USA. For example, a UKC who gets an L-1 visa and wants his girlfriend to live with him in the USA only for the duration of the L-1 visa terms.

The OP's girlfriend, being a USC, will make it nearly impossible (if not completely impossible) to get a B-2 cohabitating partner visa...because it will be seen as a means to immigrate (and he would have a path to do that, once inside the USA). A true B-2 cohabitating partner has no path to immigrate to the USA.

I would take the B-2 cohabitating partner visa out of the OP's list of possibilities.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 3rd 2013 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Now in the process of closing the gap and wanting to live together.

Also apart from marriage straight away is there any options that I can join my partner in America and work? (Seems I lack qualifications in regards of visa’s we’ve looked into)
If you want to live in the USA, here is the link to the list of possible ways:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Read that, and then come on back and let us know which visa(s), if any, you qualify for. Then a more productive discussion can be had.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a British Male, 26, A-levels, currently work in Sales & Marketing in Printing. She's American, 32, bachelor's degree in Social Sciences and associates degree in Culinary Arts. Currently Chef de Cuisine. Met in New Zealand March, 2010 and travelled around New Zealand & Asia together. Until we departed each other’s company in Dec 2010.
She has visited England Nov, 2012 and met my family. I will visit US in Feb 2013.
Whilst travelling and visiting each other’s Countries have plenty of photo’s, joint names on tickets.
(Reason for large gap – saving funds, furthering career’s)
Now in the process of closing the gap and wanting to live together. Don’t believe we can qualify for Partner/Defacto Visa due to not living together continually in the past two years? (Please advise if I’m wrong)
How are we able to apply for a joint bank account when neither of us live in each other’s country. Spoke to my bank (Natwest) She must visit the bank in person with a Passport showing she can remain in the UK for more than 6months. Also have a utility bill in both of our names.

What we are after - We would like to live in the same country, both be able to work, marriage is a possibility further down the line, looking at living together first.
Options which we have looked into for UK – Sponsoring a General Visitor (She’s unable to work)
Working in the UK – Skilled Workers – Tier 2 (General)
Partner Of a British Citizen or settled person

Look forward to your responses and advice.
Hi There welcome to BE.

Firstly you need to work out whom is moving to where. They are two completely different processes and both cost a small fortune. Once you know this then you can look into the appropriate visa for the person performing the relocation.

If it transpires that the US is where you will be, and based on what im reading in your OP then Ian is actually spot on. You can not get a cohabiting visa as the person you are wishing to join has not been cohabiting with you then temporarily left the country in which you reside for non immigrant purposes to reside in the US. That path was never open to you.

Opening up accounts together and putting names on official documents will not change this regardless of what others here may say. You have to have been living together for a certain period of time and you have to be able to demonstrate this with sufficient proof, of which you will not be able to do because there is no history of living together.

There are options for you to move to the US, they all have pre-requisites though so you need to check them out carefully.

Marriage - Your best option

Employment - factors this depends on are qualifications, experience and finding a company to sponsor you to the tune of thousands of dollars

Investment - Loads of cash

DV lottery - If you were not born in the UK (excluding Ireland as you will be eligible if born there). Low risk, but low chances of success.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Cohabitating B2 is only for partners of nonimmigrants:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_1414.html