Reload this Page >

US citizen wants to marry F1 student in her home country

Wikiposts

US citizen wants to marry F1 student in her home country

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

khai ko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US citizen wants to marry F1 student in her home country

Ok..one important question on the copy of birth certificate to be submitted with I-485. I have heard that USCIS may no longer accept birth certificates (from abroad, although translated in english) that are made *years* after birth. Has anyone heard anything similar? If that's the case, what are some alternatives? My wife's birth certificate was made 17 years after she was born..and that's how things are back home. The certificate does have the name of the father, mother and the location of birth, which I believe are required to be shown on it.

What kind of experiences have I-485 applicants had with their foreign birth certificates? Have you received any RFE because of the date of issuance shown on it (assuming it wasn't made right after birth)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

anyone?
Originally Posted by khai ko
Ok..one important question on the copy of birth certificate to be submitted with I-485. I have heard that USCIS may no longer accept birth certificates (from abroad, although translated in english) that are made *years* after birth. Has anyone heard anything similar? If that's the case, what are some alternatives? My wife's birth certificate was made 17 years after she was born..and that's how things are back home. The certificate does have the name of the father, mother and the location of birth, which I believe are required to be shown on it.

What kind of experiences have I-485 applicants had with their foreign birth certificates? Have you received any RFE because of the date of issuance shown on it (assuming it wasn't made right after birth)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

anyone?
This happened to one of my Iranian friends, who also had a birth certificate manufactures about two years after he was born. The were doing AOS from a K-1 visa in Bakersfield, California. They sent an RFE requesting more information on his birth. To be honest, I don't recall what they sent back in, this was back in 2004...I think they had to get some affidavits from back home attesting to his birth...or perhaps school records showing his date of birth was the same as that on his birth certificate.

My own husband's birth certificate was manufactured about 2 years after his birth, also, but we didn't receive any RFE for it. Go figure.

I would just turn in what you've got, and wait for an RFE if they need more.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Just wondering, what reasons have people offered in their I-131 explanation for the need to travel abroad? Is travelling for the sole reason of visiting family an acceptable 'purpose'? From the instructions on the I-131, it does not sound like it is, but I am sure they accept that reason.

I am just curious to learn what others have used in their explanation for the purpose/need that warrants an AP to be issued.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is travelling for the sole reason of visiting family an acceptable 'purpose'?
Yes, it is. Do not confuse the word "emergent" with "emergency"... they are not the same.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just curious to learn what others have used in their explanation for the purpose/need that warrants an AP to be issued.
We put business travel and vacation, but ended up doing neither.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

Looks like they want a whole separate sheet attached for it..it will possibly contain only a few words of 'explanation'. They could have provided some space in I-131 to write these words...(for AP)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:57 am

Thanks guys.

Looks like they want a whole separate sheet attached for it..it will possibly contain only a few words of 'explanation'. They could have provided some space in I-131 to write these words...(for AP)
Yep, our separate sheet was about 4 sentences long.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yep, our separate sheet was about 4 sentences long.

Rene
Mine was one.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Mine was one.
I tend to be verbose. LOL

Rene