Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US citizen (non-resident) and a Canadian want to move to the USA

Wikiposts

US citizen (non-resident) and a Canadian want to move to the USA

Old Oct 24th 2001, 1:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff

Yes I listed Canada as an exception as a country that will NOT do DFC for any USC. The example you gave was of China but you fail to note that the US Consulate in China will DO DFC for a USC if they have the right kind of visa for living in China.

Give me an example, other than Canada, of a country in which the US Consulate will NOT do DFC under any circumstance.

Rita
Old Oct 24th 2001, 1:47 am
Andy Platt

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I used to read alt.visa.us a lot. I know the process very well. I was considering it
for myself instead of a marriage-based AOS. The marriage-based approach was just much
quicker, simpler and more certain. You are using the I-485 timeline only. This is
totally unfair because it takes a large portion of the timeline away. Using this
approach I could say that it takes K-1ers just one day to complete the entire process
if they are using Dallas or Detroit. This ignores the I-129F and the consular
processing just as you have ignored the labor certification and the I-140 processing.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Question: When did the company start the labor petition process because *that's* the
start point, not when they filed the I-485. Also, the timelines I gave were
deliberately for VSC because that's the service center in my area. It's probably
likely that I will be a PR before my friend who lives in
N. VA has an employment-based I-485 pending with VSC. She started the process two
years before I did.

We can all use specific cases to show that life is unfair. You think life is unfair
because somebody can get a non-immigrant visa as the spouse of another non-immigrant
visa holder very quickly and then convert to a permanent resident very quickly so
long as that spouse is already well down the path of being a permanent resident.
Since the vast majority of people in this situation are already married when they
come to the US on the non-immigrant visa, the majority will not see these fast times
that your friend did.

Others would contend that the unfair part is that if the spouse is already a GC
holder they cannot be together for five years. That seems much worse to
Na.

I think it's unfair that I don't earn $10 million a year.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 24th 2001, 7:27 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rita,

Why do I need to point out that the US consulates in China will do DCF for certain visa classifications, or identify a country other than Canada will not do DCF under any circumstance? That does not address the point I am trying to make.

My point is that there are countries, I've identified 2 that I know about and there may be more, where a married couple with the US citizen spouse in legal residence cannot necessarily do a DCF. Maybe some couples can, but others cannot. It's the ones who cannot that I am addressing. Such couples are entitled to apply for a K3 visa and may be able to benefit from it.

Even couples who can DCF are nevertheless entitled to apply for a K3 visa, whether or not the rest of us can understand why they would want to.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Rete
Jeff

Yes I listed Canada as an exception as a country that will NOT do DFC for any USC. The example you gave was of China but you fail to note that the US Consulate in China will DO DFC for a USC if they have the right kind of visa for living in China.

Give me an example, other than Canada, of a country in which the US Consulate will NOT do DFC under any circumstance.

Rita
Old Oct 24th 2001, 7:33 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rita,

Soap boxes are worthwhile and have an important role to play.

Keep yours handy.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Rete
Jeff

Once I felt the same way you do and this NG reamed me a new rectum for my opinion. For the most part, that opinion has changed. Why? Because I looked around, I read the various NG's and newspapers and see how many fraudulent people we allow to waltz into this country with phony documentation and hardship stories. Also I've learned that H-1B visaholders can get H-4's for their spouses and when they have the opportunity to get company sponsored AOS, their spouses get it as well. And in fact, their AOS is so damn quick that it makes the roadrunner look like he is standing still. They don't have interviews and have to jump through hoops like marriage based AOS have to for USC and spouses. I feel for the poor smuck with a spouse overseas while they work night and day to save money to send home and pray for the day their numbers are current so their family can join them. Yes, they knew the ramifications of their coming here but if they are contributing members of society why do we penalize them (they may have gotten amnesty under prior laws) and pat the H-1B worker on the back. Lots have a little equality in the scheme of things and stop this insanity.

Rita
Soap Box Back Under The Bed