Reload this Page >

US citizen marrying UK citizen in UK

Wikiposts

US citizen marrying UK citizen in UK

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

l.pacholec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US citizen marrying UK citizen in UK

Hi, I've been reading through some of the threads but I was hoping someone could help me with my situation.
My boyfriend is British and I am a US citizen studying in the UK on a student visa for 6 months. We would like to get married, but my visa expires in July and in order for him to move back with me to the US he would need to work since he is not in school nor does he have anyone to sponsor his finances. I read somewhere that if we got married in the UK, it would be easier for him to come back with me to the US and work almost straight away. Is this true? Or would it be easier for us to get married in the US instead? I know getting married here I will have to fill out a certificate of approval before we book the wedding, and then I would have to fill out the I-130 petition for him, but is there anyway this could be worked out in the next few months? Or would it be advisable to try and study abroad here for another semester? Any feedback would be great, thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen marrying UK citizen in UK

Hi l, Welcome to BE.

It really doesn't matter where you get married, as far as immigration goes. There is no benefit to getting married in the UK as opposed to the USA. At the moment, you don't qualify to file the I-130 right there in London, because of your temporary status in the UK. So regardless of where you get married, you'll still file the I-130 to a service center in the USA. The processing time from filing I-130 to getting Immigrant Visa in hand is about 8 - 10 months.

You will probably need a joint sponsor for the I-864 Affidavit of Support.

Hope that helps.
Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen marrying UK citizen in UK

Originally Posted by l.pacholec
We would like to get married, but my visa expires in July and in order for him to move back with me to the US he would need to work since he is not in school nor does he have anyone to sponsor his finances.
I concur with Rene. Note that your (then) husband will need to remain in the UK until after the visa is issued. He can not move to the US with you in July - although you may be forced to return alone since you will no longer have permission to remain in the UK (unless you attend school for another semester). One way or another, there may indeed be a period of separation for a few months. Check out the I-864... if you don't qualify financially, you will need a joint sponsor (any US citizen or PR, over 18, living in the US).

Ian