Reload this Page >

US Citizen marrying a UK citizen - process -

Wikiposts

US Citizen marrying a UK citizen - process -

Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:46 am
Just Joined

jamaissewell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen marrying a UK citizen - process -

Hi folks, this thread has probably been done to death, but I can't find exactly what I was looking for - so apologies about the probable duplication!

I, a UK citizen, am marrying a US citizen in two weeks time. We currently live in London and have lived together for the last 1yr and half but plan on moving to the US at the end of the year. Therefore, I have started looking into the process and I've found it a wee bit difficult so far!

I'd be extremely grateful if someone could hold my hand and confirm the probable submission order/process. At the moment I can see that its the I-130 first, then the AOS 1864 but then I get a bit lost.

We hope to file at the London US Embassy, does anyone know how long we should expect the process to take and does filing at the London embassy hinder my future wifes ability to be the sponsor of the AOS (she has 5yr visa for the UK but still has a residence in the US with her folks)?

So many questions and so much to do!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jamie
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen marrying a UK citizen - process -

Here's you starter

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv/immrel.html
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...m&page=compare

By the end of the year is pushing it a bit ..but maybe possible ..
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen marrying a UK citizen - process -

Originally Posted by jamaissewell
We hope to file at the London US Embassy, does anyone know how long we should expect the process to take and does filing at the London embassy hinder my future wifes ability to be the sponsor of the AOS (she has 5yr visa for the UK but still has a residence in the US with her folks)?
Jamie
If you've both been living in London for the past 1.5 years, you should be able to file the I-130 directly in London. Once that processes, you will receive an Immigrant Visa. When you use that Immigrant Visa to enter the USA, you will become a US Permanent Resident upon entry at the POE. There will be no need for the follow up AOS, so you won't have to worry about that part.

As for you wife sponsoring you on the I-864, I believe both your incomes can be used, however they will need to continue from the same source once in the USA. If that won't be the case, you can either use assets, if you have enough, or if not, then look into getting a joint sponsor. Any USC or PR living in the USA can be a joint sponsor.

Best Wishes,
Rene