US citizen marrying UK citizen

Wikiposts

US citizen marrying UK citizen

Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:57 am
Just Joined

robot chicken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US citizen marrying UK citizen

Hi.

I am a UK citizen and my girlfriend is a US citizen.

We want to get married so we can leave together in the UK. We were thinking of getting married in the US, then she would live with me in the UK.

Has anyone got any advice if this is the best option. I am not sure if it would be easier if she got married here in the UK.

Any help would be really appreciated. Especially if someone has gone through something similar. I want to do everything offical and proper, and any advice on that would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen marrying UK citizen

Originally Posted by robot chicken
Hi.

I am a UK citizen and my girlfriend is a US citizen.

We want to get married so we can leave together in the UK. We were thinking of getting married in the US, then she would live with me in the UK.

Has anyone got any advice if this is the best option. I am not sure if it would be easier if she got married here in the UK.

Any help would be really appreciated. Especially if someone has gone through something similar. I want to do everything offical and proper, and any advice on that would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
It is easier to get married in the USA, as long as you are eligible to travel to the USA on the VWP. If you are, then all you need to do is come to the USA on the VWP, get married (look up the marriage requirements in the state you'll be getting married in), and then you guys can apply for her visa to the UK after marriage.

If she wants to marry you in the UK, she will need a special visa in order to do that. But you do not need a special visa to marry in the USA, just a VWP trip will do it.

Rene