Reload this Page >

In US 2 years Next step?

Wikiposts

In US 2 years Next step?

Old Apr 14th 2007, 5:02 am
CJJ1261

Default In US 2 years Next step?

My wife arrived in the USA a bit over 2 years ago and has a Permanent
Resident Card She has been steadily working and learning English.
Should we be waiting to receive something from INS about her testing
etc to become a citizen or am I suppose to request something after a
certain period? Thanks

Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In US 2 years Next step?

Originally Posted by CJJ1261
My wife arrived in the USA a bit over 2 years ago and has a Permanent Resident Card She has been steadily working and learning English.
If she has a 2-year GC, then within the 90 days prior to its expiry, she must file form I-751 plus the associated fees and support documents. The end result of this is a 10-year GC. If you are a USC, she can apply for citizenship 3 years (less 90 days) after the "resident since" date on her GC... use form N-400 and provide more fees and more support documents!

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife arrived in the USA a bit over 2 years ago and has a Permanent
Resident Card She has been steadily working and learning English.
Should we be waiting to receive something from INS about her testing
etc to become a citizen or am I suppose to request something after a
certain period? Thanks
The next step depends on what kind of PR your wife is at the moment, and how long she's been one.

Does she have the 2-year card, or the 10-year card?

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2007, 1:17 am
CJJ1261

>
> Does she have the 2-year card, or the 10-year card?
>

She has the 10 year card. We were married for 4 years before she
arrived. I am a US Citizen by birth

Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

>
> Does she have the 2-year card, or the 10-year card?
>

She has the 10 year card. We were married for 4 years before she
arrived. I am a US Citizen by birth
You have a choice between 2 next steps:

1. Wait until her 10-year card expires, then renew it for another 10 years.

2. When she is eligible for naturalization (3 years of PR status if married to a USC), she can file the N-400. She must also meet other requirements of the N-400, so do some reading on naturalization at www.uscis.gov. USCIS won't notify her of anything. It's up to her to file whenever she's eligible.

Best Wishes,
Rene