Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Urgent Question About Fiance Visa

Urgent Question About Fiance Visa

Old Sep 4th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Question About Fiance Visa

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh well... their bed, they can lie in it.
Ian
I think they already did
Old Sep 4th 2014, 2:17 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I would wait till her dad signs the affidavit before filing for the visa. In fact doesn't it have to be filed with, rather than just brought to the interview?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 2:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No. For the K1, the I-134 is brought to the interview, not submitted ahead of time.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2014, 2:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If she is under 18 when it comes time for him to adjust status, his (then) wife won't be able to sign an I-864... except that she must sign an I-864. That will, indeed, be very interesting.

That said, there's no requirement that he file to adjust status immediately following the marriage - so he could simply delay filing the AOS paperwork until she turns 18. The downside, though, is that he won't be able to work until a few months after he files the AOS paperwork... whether he has a job waiting for him or not.

Sorry, but this simply isn't a good plan. They should not marry until she's within a month or two of turning 18. That's the only way this is going to work out well. .....
Maybe be could fill in the time waiting to adjust, if I might quote from the linked article, by spending "several months in jail".
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So glad someone else thought there was something totally wrong about this whole situation based on the timescales given.

Engaged at 16, pregnant at just 17 with an out of work British guy with no visa - reads like something from Deliverance

Should we even be responding with "advice" to such a posting?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:10 am
Just Joined

JamesWithers is an unknown quantity at this point

Engaged at 16, pregnant at just 17 with an out of work British guy with no visa - reads like something from Deliverance

Engaged at 17, pregnant at 17 after months of engagement, British guy works 12 hour nights, 6 days a week for months on end to save up money, visits her for three months. His employers let him go because they didn't want him to go for three months. British guy also has a job waiting for him in the US, which he will begin as soon as he is allowed to work.

Her parents are entirely enthusiastic about the whole thing. Both have aspirations of attending college. She in fact already is, and will continue to do so. So please don't be so quick to judge, or at least try to keep your snide comments to yourself.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:21 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesWithers
British guy also has a job waiting for him in the US, which he will begin as soon as he is allowed to work.
Re-read the part about the I864. Will they hold the job for him until July/August next year? Because, realistically, that's how long it's going to take before he can get his EAD as he won't be able to file to adjust status until his (then) wife is 18.

If they go ahead with the wedding in November then it will also mean that he'll be out of status until April 2015 - really not ideal...
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

His employers let him go because they didn't want him to go for three months.
Alas, a real-world consequence directly related to the choices he made.

British guy also has a job waiting for him in the US, which he will begin as soon as he is allowed to work.
Does he understand that he won't likely have permission to work until June or July next year? That's because his (then) wife can't sign the I-864 until she turns 18 in April... and it takes 60-90 days to get employment authorization.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 4th 2014 at 12:54 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 2:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Her parents are entirely enthusiastic about the whole thing. Both have aspirations of attending college. She in fact already is, and will continue to do so.
Whatever you may think, James, people are concerned that this will end in tears because it appears that your brother has no comprehension of the expense that will be involved in getting started in the US -- giving birth and attending college are expensive undertakings, and being poor in the US is not something to aspire to. There's no NHS here, you know, and it's every man for himself! On top of that, his brother is doing the research that he should be doing. . . Hopefully your brother's fiancee is on her parents' health insurance -- and she needs to ensure that she can still stay on it if she marries. The best thing he can do at this point is to plan to stay in the UK for a while, take any employment that he can, and start to save, save, save.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Whatever you may think, James, people are concerned that this will end in tears because it appears that your brother has no comprehension of the expense that will be involved in getting started in the US -- giving birth and attending college are expensive undertakings, and being poor in the US is not something to aspire to. There's no NHS here, you know, and it's every man for himself! On top of that, his brother is doing the research that he should be doing. . . Hopefully your brother's fiancee is on her parents' health insurance -- and she needs to ensure that she can still stay on it if she marries. The best thing he can do at this point is to plan to stay in the UK for a while, take any employment that he can, and start to save, save, save.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Engaged at 17, pregnant at 17 after months of engagement, British guy works 12 hour nights, 6 days a week for months on end to save up money, visits her for three months. His employers let him go because they didn't want him to go for three months. British guy also has a job waiting for him in the US, which he will begin as soon as he is allowed to work.

Her parents are entirely enthusiastic about the whole thing. Both have aspirations of attending college. She in fact already is, and will continue to do so. So please don't be so quick to judge, or at least try to keep your snide comments to yourself.
My comments are not snide - they are describing the situation as has been related to us.

Parents are enthusiastic about their 17 year old daughter becoming pregnant by some guy who is not, as yet, living in the country, never mind being able to support said daughter?

Beggars belief ..... indeed any belief at all.

..... in college at just over 17? ....... I don't think so.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

I started college at age 17; I don't think it's that unusual.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 8th 2014 at 12:21 am.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I started collage at age 17; I don't think it's that unusual.

Rene
Maybe different where you went to college. Here in San Diego the majority of students I know who are just over 17 are still in High School - awaiting to enter college.

However, that is the least bizarre part of this situation as posted.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
My comments are not snide - they are describing the situation as has been related to us.

Parents are enthusiastic about their 17 year old daughter becoming pregnant by some guy who is not, as yet, living in the country, never mind being able to support said daughter?

Beggars belief ..... indeed any belief at all.

I don't know what the OP's stance is, we have some information on the brother, the situation is what it is, at least the lad is trying to do what's is right - albeit a little on the young side. He may not appreciate how tough it will be but if her parents are supportive and agree to their daughter going ahead with this plan is it for us to question the decision? We can point out the pitfalls but the decision is theirs, you earlier post may not have been meant as a snide remark but this one does strike me, no offence intended, as one that is not helpful to their situation.
We all have our own beliefs and I'm sure that there isn't one single person here who doesn't agree that they are very young. (once again, no offence intended)
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No offence taken.

The cynic in me is wondering how parents can be enthusiastic about this situation:

Unemployed boyfriend visits his very young girlfriend, and returns to home country leaving girlfriend pregnant.

Brother comes onto web forum for advice.

It certainly gets an interesting thread going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.