Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Urgent advice needed for son to stay in US!!!

Urgent advice needed for son to stay in US!!!

Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent advice needed for son to stay in US!!!

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You are dealing with Thanksgiving week as you well know. However, many of the responses here may very well lead you astray -- they have me cringing, to be honest.

Would be helpful if you were to point out, publicly or privately, which ones they were so that they could be deleted before harm is done to this poster or any poster in the future.

That is what we hope to avoid at all costs and that is what the premise of this forum is:

Give information that has been gathered through experience, ours and others, and hopefully correct any wrong information from being passed on.

I had thought you followed this creed along with the regular posters to the forum.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Would be helpful if [Mr F was] to point out, publicly or privately, which ones they were so that they could be deleted before harm is done to this poster or any poster in the future.
Yes but that wouldn't be cryptic enough.

Sometimes I wonder which is worse...advice that's possibly inaccurate or advice that is incomprehensible or indeterminate.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Titchski
We used Robert G Heiserman, downtown Denver for my AOS*. However, this was 11/12 years ago now. They were very professional and courteous -this may have been due to the fact I was paying them though

* - for those interested, yes, it was a (completely unwitting) ten foot pole jobbie. And yes, since joining this site I shudder to think what might have happened, looking back!
Hi:

Bob is still in practice! He is one of the people I would recommend. Also, James Bonn in Boulder. Also Laura Lichter.

The recommendations are made in no particular order.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

Would be helpful if you were to point out, publicly or privately, which ones they were so that they could be deleted before harm is done to this poster or any poster in the future.

That is what we hope to avoid at all costs and that is what the premise of this forum is:

Give information that has been gathered through experience, ours and others, and hopefully correct any wrong information from being passed on.

I had thought you followed this creed along with the regular posters to the forum.
Hi:

Perhaps it might be helpful. But for various reasons, I don't think I should -- so I won't. If she sees an attorney in any of the three offices I listed, she should get good advice -- which is best if delivered in private.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

Sometimes I wonder which is worse...advice that's possibly inaccurate or advice that is incomprehensible or indeterminate.
Hi:

Back in 1992, Bonnie Stern-Wasser and I jointly edited and created the first of AILA's now famed Immigration Lawyer's Toolbox series -- where we provided electronic [on floppies -- remember those] and print copies of various office forms, memo's, boilerplate letters and such.

Our joint forward noted that "like sex and money" it was hard to get the information out of fellow bar members. I got a lot of ribbing about the "sex and money" comment when it was Bonnie who wrote that. MY contribution was use of a quote from Monty Python as the first words in the book.

To get back on point -- I don't try to be "cryptic" -- it just that sometimes, there are things like sex and money that really should not be discussed in detail.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't try to be "cryptic" -- it just that sometimes, there are things like sex and money that really should not be discussed in detail.
Now *there's* a great siggy quote!

Last edited by meauxna; Nov 21st 2009 at 1:03 am.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Back in 1992, Bonnie Stern-Wasser and I jointly edited and created the first of AILA's now famed Immigration Lawyer's Toolbox series -- where we provided electronic [on floppies -- remember those] and print copies of various office forms, memo's, boilerplate letters and such.

Our joint forward noted that "like sex and money" it was hard to get the information out of fellow bar members. I got a lot of ribbing about the "sex and money" comment when it was Bonnie who wrote that. MY contribution was use of a quote from Monty Python as the first words in the book.

To get back on point -- I don't try to be "cryptic" -- it just that sometimes, there are things like sex and money that really should not be discussed in detail.
Think it should be, "Don't discuss money during sex".

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Think it should be, "Don't discuss money during sex".

Reg. Frank R.
"That'll do nicely"
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

I am not a lawyer, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn recently. But I would assume that just as us laypeople has to be concerned with what crosses the line of UPL, any licensed attorney has to be concerned with what can be construed as creating a client/attorney relationship when posting something on a public bulletin board.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by discoviking
I am not a lawyer, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn recently. But I would assume that just as us laypeople has to be concerned with what crosses the line of UPL, any licensed attorney has to be concerned with what can be construed as creating a client/attorney relationship when posting something on a public bulletin board.
Hi:

I personally don't know where to draw the line on UPL. Also, this is an issue for the states. And there is a lot of UPL going in various guises that many states are looking at it.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Monkeymoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Bob is still in practice! He is one of the people I would recommend. Also, James Bonn in Boulder. Also Laura Lichter.

The recommendations are made in no particular order.
Thank you Mr F - I have an appointment at 12.30pm with one of your recommendations.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Ask him/her if you can post their recommendations on here before you do so.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Monkeymoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations. Ask him/her if you can post their recommendations on here before you do so.

I am extremely glad to say that I received excellent advice from Laura Lichters office (nice chap called Mark) also for the time being my son can stay while we are processing his application.

A huge thank you to all who responded especially Mr F!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Monkeymoke
Do you think they would allow him back in within the month to spend Christmas with his family?
I really feel for you. When I got married to an American, my son was 19. I remembered the attorney telling us he had passed the date where my husband could apply for him to join us and when it would be easier to get him over here, if he decided he wanted to.
There was also something about my Green Card passing from the 2yrs to 10yrs. And if once it goes to the 10yrs, if he is under 21 by then, there is still a hope.
He then said the easiest way for him to get here would be under a work visa.
If the soccer club is willing to employ him wouldn't that be the best route to go?
I feel for you with that date getting closer ever closer; knowing how I felt leaving behind my 19yr old, my heart breaks for you. You probably are so thrilled to know he wants to be with you and now have to go through this worry.
I'm no expert, but my very serious advice as one mother to another, get an attorney - and do it QUICKLY!
We're fortunate to be close to the Canadian border with an aunt there, so had we had that problem, I was hoping we could at least send him there and I could visit him at least.
I envy you in many ways, (it was all I ever hoped to hear from my son) but certainly not this new immigration headache.
PLEASE let me know how you do.
Seek immediate legal advice, that's my twopenneth!!

Good luck.
Jackie.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Monkeymoke
I am extremely glad to say that I received excellent advice from Laura Lichters office (nice chap called Mark) also for the time being my son can stay while we are processing his application.

A huge thank you to all who responded especially Mr F!
Great news, but now I feel a twerp as I didn't read the whole 3 pages of the subject before my previous reply!!
So glad you got legal advice.
Good luck... and hope you had a great Thanksgiving.