Reload this Page >

Update Nigeria: K1 Visa Picked Up!!!!! .........Experience

Wikiposts

Update Nigeria: K1 Visa Picked Up!!!!! .........Experience

Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

JJ&ST is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update Nigeria: K1 Visa Picked Up!!!!! .........Experience

I have today picked up my passport at the embassy,with the k1 visa stamp inside!! Also handed to me were the travelling documents aka. brown envelop!!!

The picking up process was smooth...........I am now busy writing my detailed experience.

Catch ya in while!!

Auf weidersehen!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Update Nigeria: K1 Visa Picked Up!!!!! .........Experience

I and Nkem woke early on the D-Day morning and had our prayers after which I told her that am very confident we will be victorious!!!!

We arrived the embassy venue in a cab at 6.20am. There was so many people already that Nkem asked did this people sleep here?
I showed Nkem the Tent under the fruit tree where she could rent a seat for 50 naira and wait,incase she was not allowed in. Here gospel preacher come in sequence to preach.That she could busy herself with sermons.

Time 6.30am, a male guard with public address system bellowed...... DV and IV form a line here. He streched his arm showing form a line.........NIV line up here.... In a twinkle of eye two long queue has been formed. I and Nkem where among the first ten on DV/IV line up. All in this fashion walked to the check-in Gate, like civilians filing in for Army recruitment exercise!!!!

At the Gate a female not in uniform but working with the guards,came the applicants and said politely bring out your Invitation letters,hold it in your hand.

When it got to our turn to be check-in by the security. I spoke to this lady," Hi please this is my fiancee,the USC and Nkem flashed her ID. Well that didn't work. However,she attended to us friendly saying; "During the interview tell the interviewer that the petitioner is outside and willing to come in to address your concerns if any" We took that in good faith and thanked her very much.

As I walked through the door I called Nkem to come close,and planted a passionate kiss on her lips!!!!I love kissing her and doing that will cheer me up!!!!(Unknown to me and her someone took note of that in a way!!! I will tell you later)

Inside,i paid my interview fee of $100 and number was IV 3.I took a sit in the big hall and waited. Time 8.30, I was called to Window 4 to a male(black) interviewer.

Surprisingly!!!!! the female that spoke to us at the Security Gate was herself an interviewer in Window 1. !!!! i said in my mind, waooo !!! how I wish she could be my interviewer!!!.(but she still recognised me!!! how? find out later!!)

Interviewer: 1. Who filed for you? Ans: My fiancee (name)
2. Where did you meet her? Ans: Online
3. When? Ans: Jun 02
4.When did you meet in person and where? Ans: Jan 10-20,2003 in Germany.(He wrote all my answers down.)

Ok lets see what you have for evidence,your emails,letters if any?

When i brought out from my bag a big folder containing emails, and a mlong photo album,he opened his eyes wide. i suspect in exclamation. Go to the door beside,i will collect them from there.They could not pass through the hole!! He took all.

He made sure he read all emails page by page. All selected 99 pages. from Jun 02 to April 04. On the front cover of the folder was a table of content and pagination. So he was indeed looking at the table of content and flipping up the page.

The table of content reads:

1. E-Greeting cards till date.................................page....
2. Emails from Jun 02 to 1st meeting in person....page..
3. " " 21 Jan to Present...........................page..
4. 2nd meeting Jan 10-20 April 04......(.Physical)

Unknown to him and me,the female interviewer i told you who saw us outside,came up to him and said"the petitioner is outside,she wants to come in,it was me who stopped her according to policy" My interviewer exclaimed Oh !!! She is here? He quickly abandoned the email folder and went on to the photo album!!!

They were enjoying watching our album in admiration,they were joined by other interviewer, because my interviewer laughing at how in one on the photos at the Beach,i was carrying Nkem on my back.It amused them!!! Actually the photos were beautiful.
Kudos to Eko4Show because we only had 19 pics taken in Germany in 2003 Winter. But her advice went into action and built this beautiful album of 91 copies in all. Taken in all parts of Lagos!!! Beach,national museum,by the molue,ketu market,tantalizer etc etc.!!!!They really enjoyed it!!!

He said take a sit and wait for the next interviewer.He gave me back the album and told me with emphasis in his voice...show it to the next interviewer.

while waiting,I wrote a note to Nkem through one male guard going outside. To cheer her up and indirectly cheering myself too .

2nd Interviewer:

After same question of who file for you, she asked on which website did you meet. Ans: Christiancafe.com. She called her colleague hey! You have a member here!

Question: 1. how many times was she married?
2. Why did she divorce,did she tell you. I remembered asking Nkem this question during when first started corresponding. So I told her. Surprisingly, in one of the emails Nkem submitted along with I129F,this question was there,including Nkem's response to it then!!! So I answered correctly.
3. How old are the children? Ans: ........(correct)

Ok sign this form for me that all your filled are correct.....DS-156 and DS-156K. I signed them.(though in shaky hands)...I don't know if she saw it or not.

She said Ok,come on 21 April by 2pm and pick up your visa. i was stunned and wanted to ask if that was all.But i didn't. When I found my voice ,I stuttard....thank you very much. She replied "and have safe flight" I did't know what to asnwer back,I was trying to gather back together all the folders into the bag. I just carried the whole lot on my two hands and went out. Hurrying to go break the news to Nkem waiting outside!!!!

End of Story.

:PARTY:
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

Bravo JJ!!!
A job well done, and an early welcome to the US.
Thanks for the details, I sure remember the 50 Naira for the seats and the long wait with the fire and brimstone Preachers there(I gave ).
Do tell though about the other things you saw while in the Consulate. Where there as many Non-Immigrant Visa applicants there as when I was there last year? Must have been 1500. What reasons did you see for those that were turned down? How many made it through? I am sure we are all curious to know if anything has changed.

Remi and Jeff

Originally posted by JJ&ST
I and Nkem woke early on the D-Day morning and had our prayers after which I told her that am very confident we will be victorious!!!!

We arrived the embassy venue in a cab at 6.20am. There was so many people already that Nkem asked did this people sleep here?
I showed Nkem the Tent under the fruit tree where she could rent a seat for 50 naira and wait,incase she was not allowed in. Here gospel preacher come in sequence to preach.That she could busy herself with sermons.

Time 6.30am, a male guard with public address system bellowed...... DV and IV form a line here. He streched his arm showing form a line.........NIV line up here.... In a twinkle of eye two long queue has been formed. I and Nkem where among the first ten on DV/IV line up. All in this fashion walked to the check-in Gate, like civilians filing in for Army recruitment exercise!!!!

At the Gate a female not in uniform but working with the guards,came the applicants and said politely bring out your Invitation letters,hold it in your hand.

When it got to our turn to be check-in by the security. I spoke to this lady," Hi please this is my fiancee,the USC and Nkem flashed her ID. Well that didn't work. However,she attended to us friendly saying; "During the interview tell the interviewer that the petitioner is outside and willing to come in to address your concerns if any" We took that in good faith and thanked her very much.

As I walked through the door I called Nkem to come close,and planted a passionate kiss on her lips!!!!I love kissing her and doing that will cheer me up!!!!(Unknown to me and her someone took note of that in a way!!! I will tell you later)

Inside,i paid my interview fee of $100 and number was IV 3.I took a sit in the big hall and waited. Time 8.30, I was called to Window 4 to a male(black) interviewer.

Surprisingly!!!!! the female that spoke to us at the Security Gate was herself an interviewer in Window 1. !!!! i said in my mind, waooo !!! how I wish she could be my interviewer!!!.(but she still recognised me!!! how? find out later!!)

Interviewer: 1. Who filed for you? Ans: My fiancee (name)
2. Where did you meet her? Ans: Online
3. When? Ans: Jun 02
4.When did you meet in person and where? Ans: Jan 10-20,2003 in Germany.(He wrote all my answers down.)

Ok lets see what you have for evidence,your emails,letters if any?

When i brought out from my bag a big folder containing emails, and a mlong photo album,he opened his eyes wide. i suspect in exclamation. Go to the door beside,i will collect them from there.They could not pass through the hole!! He took all.

He made sure he read all emails page by page. All selected 99 pages. from Jun 02 to April 04. On the front cover of the folder was a table of content and pagination. So he was indeed looking at the table of content and flipping up the page.

The table of content reads:

1. E-Greeting cards till date.................................page....
2. Emails from Jun 02 to 1st meeting in person....page..
3. " " 21 Jan to Present...........................page..
4. 2nd meeting Jan 10-20 April 04......(.Physical)

Unknown to him and me,the female interviewer i told you who saw us outside,came up to him and said"the petitioner is outside,she wants to come in,it was me who stopped her according to policy" My interviewer exclaimed Oh !!! She is here? He quickly abandoned the email folder and went on to the photo album!!!

They were enjoying watching our album in admiration,they were joined by other interviewer, because my interviewer laughing at how in one on the photos at the Beach,i was carrying Nkem on my back.It amused them!!! Actually the photos were beautiful.
Kudos to Eko4Show because we only had 19 pics taken in Germany in 2003 Winter. But her advice went into action and built this beautiful album of 91 copies in all. Taken in all parts of Lagos!!! Beach,national museum,by the molue,ketu market,tantalizer etc etc.!!!!They really enjoyed it!!!

He said take a sit and wait for the next interviewer.He gave me back the album and told me with emphasis in his voice...show it to the next interviewer.

while waiting,I wrote a note to Nkem through one male guard going outside. To cheer her up and indirectly cheering myself too .

2nd Interviewer:

After same question of who file for you, she asked on which website did you meet. Ans: Christiancafe.com. She called her colleague hey! You have a member here!

Question: 1. how many times was she married?
2. Why did she divorce,did she tell you. I remembered asking Nkem this question during when first started corresponding. So I told her. Surprisingly, in one of the emails Nkem submitted along with I129F,this question was there,including Nkem's response to it then!!! So I answered correctly.
3. How old are the children? Ans: ........(correct)

Ok sign this form for me that all your filled are correct.....DS-156 and DS-156K. I signed them.(though in shaky hands)...I don't know if she saw it or not.

She said Ok,come on 21 April by 2pm and pick up your visa. i was stunned and wanted to ask if that was all.But i didn't. When I found my voice ,I stuttard....thank you very much. She replied "and have safe flight" I did't know what to asnwer back,I was trying to gather back together all the folders into the bag. I just carried the whole lot on my two hands and went out. Hurrying to go break the news to Nkem waiting outside!!!!

End of Story.

:PARTY:
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Background Events !!!!

Sometimes the events happening outside the stadium make more headlines than the football match going on inside !!!!

A lot of funny events go on outside US embassy,Lagos. As you arrive you will first be surprised at the professional beggers who come to you in sequence. Watchout,you may end up giving all you have because of their sweet coated tongues.

I call them professionals because they are either blind and moving holding one another and the leader is not blind,but a hired leader!!!! Some are aggressive too. One replied to someone....."you mean you have no money this early morning? and you want God to give you visa". That was aggressive of course. They come in various style and fashion.

The next is the expert beggers acting under the camouflage as gospel Preachers. As you sit under the tent,someone comes up to you and you pay the 50 naira chair rent. Then comes one preacher after the other. As each one finishes he brings out a small bag and says if you support the spread of the word of God any amount will help.

Because of the desperateness of people for miracles and God help towards...the preachers go away with bag full full of naira notes!!!! And the more appealling is the sermon to the people,the more money he gets!! So its a kind of boom !!!!! I left some naira notes for Nkem b4 going inside. And she told me she enjoyed the sermons!!!But the moneys where gone!!!

Now listen to this one!!!! If you are a white lady beware!! Before the interview some days back, in front of the embassy,I wanted to buy handkerchief(a little cloth for wiping off sweat,as the sun was high). I approached a boy selling it.He told me ....ssssshhhh to wait,demontrating with a finger to his lips. why? He was selling handkerchief at 500 naira each !! to two white ladies.Something sold for only 25 naira!!!! I asked why? "Oga abi you wan spoil business for me?" was his reply. Meaning; master,do you want to make business bad for me?Because they were OYINBO!!! Even in the city,they hike prices like this when you are white. For them white is white.whether lebanese,Asia,european or american

Nkem is African-American she got mixed up in the crowd easily. At the airport the immigration were surprised that she is coming home for the first time because they thought she was a Nigerian. A family member told me that .....your wife looks like an Igbo(Ibo) girl!!!!

Ok tomorrow watch out to read my observations inside the embassy complex during the interview and while waiting.!!!! I feeli like am posting some article for my newspaper.

Cheers!!! my friends.

Last edited by JJ&ST; Apr 22nd 2004 at 4:50 am.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

afroduke is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again CONGRATULATIONS from me & all of the rest of the Naija brigade on here. I'd also want to commend your well descriptive interview experience. The way you described the scenarios & all the hullabaloo that goes on outside plus, most importantly, your experience inside the consulate, makes me feel like I've been there already. No doubt this forum has been of really great help to us all. I can remember chatting with a female k3 applicant during my medicals, & she didn't even know what a Service Center was. I'd like you to know that the good news of your successfull interview is a very positive effect on those still on the line. Anyway, have a wonderfull & successfull trip, wedding & married life. May God bless us all!!!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:46 am
omo
Naija Brigade

omo is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATULATIONS JJ&ST on a successful interview!

May you find much joy and happiness as you strive to build your new lives together!

Congrats once again!

Regards, Omo
of the "Naija bridgade"
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by omo
CONGRATULATIONS JJ&ST on a successful interview!

May you find much joy and happiness as you strive to build your new lives together!

Congrats once again!

Regards, Omo
of the "Naija bridgade"
Your kind words and well wishes are beyond appreciation!

All I can say is what a ride its been. As i recall when we began this peition it seemed like the longest journey ever. Seemed like the NOA2 would take forever. like the NVC sending there stuff out would take forever. seemed like everything no matter how close we got..............took forever!! I'm only glad we didnt get any RFE's or system delays. It would've killed me

Might I add that this trip to Nigeria was the 2nd time seeing my JJ in 15mths. Maybe that's why everything seem to take so long because we'd been separated just as long. you can imagine now how relieved we are that this is behind us now. I must have rehearsed my reaction a thousand times in my mind. Up until the very second before he walked out of the embassy door was rehearsed how I'd respond. I knew that God would not fail or let us down, but you know there's always that ????

I could do nothing more than cry when he walked out, looked about for me, spot me and the look on his face told me everything had been now "under the belt". if i were to be told that very moment that i won the lottery i couldn't been happier. His hand was still shaking as he showed me the ticket stub they gave him to present the following week when he was to pick up the visa. I think we were both in a state of utter shock for a few hours at least.

The preaching and begging onthe outside didnt' phase me too much. I'm a city girl by birth (NY to be exact) so if I've not seen it there, it dont exist . If i closed my eyes and imagine a building instead of the tent, i'd just as assumed I was at grand central station with all the goings ons about me.

I didnt mind it though, because my mind was on my JJ and what was going on inside those walls. I half listened to the preachers but one of them said some things that made me stop to listen. It was regarding the power we have within us, to make things happen or not. Based on what or how we think it to be. I found that intersting in light of the current situation. lt was hard to tell who all was succesful or not, as no one came out with smiles, or joy or even sorrow on their faces. Oh maybe thye did and i paid them no mind because iwas waiting for my man to come out.

here it is now, 10 days later and hard to believe its all behind us now. the paperwork, forms, applicaiotns etc that we have ahead are a walk in the park. mainly because we'll be together to handle them. and the long distance calls will be a thing of the past. (thank you Quest for being the most reasonable LDP)

I got a feeling this week is going to fly by and before I know it, he'll be here and i'll be posting his successful arrval.

So thank you again one and all for the gobs of advise. None of it was taken lightly but all was put into practice one way or the other. It is after all, Gods' will that we prosper and have good success.

Smooches ya'll
Old May 26th 2004, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

I wish to update that my name appeared on the SAVE system yesterday after two times unfruitful attrempts. So I have filed for SSN and given acknowledement letter which states my my number will arrive in our house address in 2 weeks.