British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/update-784032/)

aaronjamie Jan 16th 2013 1:44 pm

update

hey guys

been in the states since the end of november on the k1 visa, we got our marriage license and we are going to send of the AoS package in the next three or four weeks

i went to the social security office on december 28 and i was on the system, however the details ssa had on me didn't match up to what had been entered by immigration when i entered the country in november, therefore they had to fax uscis to confirm my details and this could take up to four weeks

almost three weeks now and no mail yet, anyone experienced this before?

jeffreyhy Jan 16th 2013 2:07 pm

Re: update

Yes.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by aaronjamie (Post 10486439)
... anyone experienced this before?

ian-mstm Jan 16th 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by aaronjamie (Post 10486439)
... therefore they had to fax uscis to confirm my details and this could take up to four weeks

They lied... it'll probably take 8-10 weeks.

Ian

aaronjamie Jan 16th 2013 2:23 pm

whattttt? it says four weeks on the letter they printed and gave me when i went to the ss office

Noorah101 Jan 16th 2013 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by aaronjamie (Post 10486514)
whattttt? it says four weeks on the letter they printed and gave me when i went to the ss office

I'm not sure what your details are, exactly, but when my fiance came over on a K-1, SSA had to manually verify his information (because he's from Iran). It took about 6 weeks to get the manual verification done, and a further 2 weeks to get the card in the mail....so about 8 weeks altogether (after filing the SSN application).

Your mileage may vary.

Rene

aaronjamie Jan 16th 2013 3:12 pm

The guy at the office said it was because the visa i had on my passport had different detail/s then on the uscis system when he looked on the computer

aaronjamie Jan 16th 2013 3:13 pm

I think he possibly meant the classification 'k1' etc

The letter was a standard one, im hoping the processing times arent 8 weeks

HunterGreen Jan 20th 2013 4:17 am

I've been a permanent resident since 2005. I recently lost my actual SSN card that I've had since then, and all I needed was a new one. They had to verify my status to send me a new card... took a good six weeks. Sounds to me the 4 weeks they told you wasn't very accurate.

aaronjamie Jan 21st 2013 2:14 pm

I called them on friday and they still haven't a response from homeland security, will call again in a few days time

ian-mstm Jan 21st 2013 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by aaronjamie (Post 10496568)
I called them on friday and they still haven't a response from homeland security, will call again in a few days time

I understand your frustration, but calling them every few days isn't going to speed things up at all. Why not just take a deep breath and wait patiently?

Ian

aaronjamie Jan 21st 2013 9:45 pm

i've noticed it takes forever for people to get stuff done here, the letter says four weeks. i have written proof to show they told me four weeks, so this friday is the four weeks up

Noorah101 Jan 21st 2013 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by aaronjamie (Post 10497323)
i've noticed it takes forever for people to get stuff done here, the letter says four weeks. i have written proof to show they told me four weeks, so this friday is the four weeks up

Government agencies are not obligated to abide by any information they give you.

Rene

aaronjamie Jan 21st 2013 9:56 pm

that's kinda shocking, but unsurprising

ian-mstm Jan 21st 2013 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by aaronjamie (Post 10497323)
i have written proof to show they told me four weeks...

You say that as though you think it's going to make a difference! The US Supreme Court has upheld the notion that you can not count on, as accurate, anything told to you by a US government employee. That goes for the forms also.

There's absolutely nothing you can do. If it takes longer, you have no recourse whatsoever.

Welcome to the USA.

Ian

aaronjamie Jan 22nd 2013 11:38 am

it's dumb but you're right
thanks for the help guys