Reload this Page >

Unusual Financial Situation With I-134

Wikiposts

Unusual Financial Situation With I-134

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

DustyTraveller is on a distinguished road
Default Unusual Financial Situation With I-134

I have a co-sponsor for my fiancee's K-1, but as the petitioner, I am the 'primary' sponsor, but I don't think I have any of the right supporting documents. I guess I'm sort of self-employed, but I don't make enough to file for taxes. I'm still basically a dependant on my parents, since I still live at home and work part time for my Dad, and the rest of my time is spent doing volunteer work. I have a few sponsors for the mission work I do in India, but the money is often gifts of cash and checks, and is invested almost entirely in the non-profit work I do, while all of my personal expenses are paid for by my parents.

So, as the primary sponsor, if I can't show tax returns or employee records, and my bank accounts are rather strange, what can I do? My Dad would be able to add up the hours I work for him and print out what I have supposedly 'earned'. BUT, he doesn't actually give me cash/checks but instead takes care of my room and board, and pays for my travel expenses.

If I have a co-sponsor who qualifies sufficiently above the 125% poverty level, then what else do they need in regards to my I-134? Should I just fill out the form and turn it in with the co-sponsor forms and paperwork, with a letter stating my 'job situation'? Will there be problems with this, or will having a qualifying co-sponsor be enough?
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 3:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unusual Financial Situation With I-134

DT,

What is it you plan to show on your I-134? I.e., what information do you plan to put in the blank spaces? If 0 (zero) or none, then you don't need any documentation at all - what's to document? You are depending 100% on your co-sponsor.

If you do plan to fill in a blank with a meaningful answer, then provide documentation for that particular amount - whatever it is.

BTW, just because you don't have enough income to owe taxes doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't file a tax return. And just because you haven't filed returns in the past doesn't mean that you can't file now for those past years.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by DustyTraveller
I have a co-sponsor for my fiancee's K-1, but as the petitioner, I am the 'primary' sponsor, but I don't think I have any of the right supporting documents. I guess I'm sort of self-employed, but I don't make enough to file for taxes. I'm still basically a dependant on my parents, since I still live at home and work part time for my Dad, and the rest of my time is spent doing volunteer work. I have a few sponsors for the mission work I do in India, but the money is often gifts of cash and checks, and is invested almost entirely in the non-profit work I do, while all of my personal expenses are paid for by my parents.

So, as the primary sponsor, if I can't show tax returns or employee records, and my bank accounts are rather strange, what can I do? My Dad would be able to add up the hours I work for him and print out what I have supposedly 'earned'. BUT, he doesn't actually give me cash/checks but instead takes care of my room and board, and pays for my travel expenses.

If I have a co-sponsor who qualifies sufficiently above the 125% poverty level, then what else do they need in regards to my I-134? Should I just fill out the form and turn it in with the co-sponsor forms and paperwork, with a letter stating my 'job situation'? Will there be problems with this, or will having a qualifying co-sponsor be enough?