Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A unique situation, any help much appreciated :)

Wikiposts

A unique situation, any help much appreciated :)

Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:03 am
Just Joined

fouchet89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A unique situation, any help much appreciated :)

Hello I feel my situation is kind of unique and I would very much appreciate any guidance or help whatsoever.

I am currently living in the U.K and have family living in the U.S (Mother, sisters, brother and step-dad) My step dad is a U.S citizen and brought my family over there 10 years ago while I (stupidly) decided to stay here in the U.K. My mother is over there on a green card and has not yet filed to become a U.S citizen but is planning on doing so.

I normally visit once or twice a year and met a girl over there. We have know each other since my family first moved over there and have became very close. We would like a future together and plan on getting married. What would be the best way for me to move to the states? And what are the time frames? Should I apply for a fiance visa? Or go over there and marry and then come back to the UK whilst the correct documents are sent off? Should I apply for a visa via. my family?

As I said before any help is much appreciated. I have done a bit of research and the whole process is just daunting to say the least!

Thankks

T.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A unique situation, any help much appreciated :)

Your situation is far from unique.

Your message already has all the answes buried in it, so it is nice to see someone who has done some research.

Marriage to your girlfriend is almost certainly the best option for you - but whether you go the K-1 fiancé visa route, or the marriage and return home to apply for a CR-1 marriage visa is something only you can decide. Bear in mind that you won't be able to work for 3-5 months after you arrive on a K-1, but can work immediately you have cleared immigration on a CR-1, right there in the airport if you have a job to go to, you don't even need a SSN.

Either way it will take around 8 months to obtain the visa give or take a month or two, the K-1 ahead of getting married, and the CR-1 after getting married. The K-1 route requires you to "adjust status", so has more paperwork and more fees than the "one step" CR-1 process.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 24th 2017 at 9:18 am.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fouchet89, Welcome to BE.

Your situation is not unique at all, actually, it's just that you haven't yet seen our Marriage-Based forum. I've moved your thread into this forum so you can see other marriage-based posts, and get the answers you need.

Any visa via your family is going to take MANY years to process. Immigrating based on marriage to a USC will take between 8 to 10 months, whether you do the K-1 Fiance Visa or the CR-1 Immigrant Visa (after marriage). So really the choice is yours.

Have a look at our Wiki Guide which outlines the difference between the two visas, and then come on back with any questions.

Comparison of marriage-based visas : British Expat Wiki

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your replies. I will look into this further!

I have a few more questions, my fiancé isn't currently working but as I have family I can get my parents to sponsor me, is that correct?

Also do I have to show any proof of my income/ tax returns etc.?

How much typically is this going to cost me?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fouchet89
Thank you so much for your replies. I will look into this further!

I have a few more questions, my fiancé isn't currently working but as I have family I can get my parents to sponsor me, is that correct?

Thanks.
I-134 requires only one sponsor and that sponsor doesn't have to be your fiance(e), but can be another US citizen.

I-864 always requires the spouse, but another US citizen can help by becoming a joint sponsor.

You won't need to show proofs of your income. The burden will be on whoever sponsors you.

I would budget $5k start to finish.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do the K-1 visa, a parent could fill out the I-134 affidavit of support, yes. If doing the CR-1 visa (or when it comes time to do AOS after K-1 entry), your wife must complete an I-864 affidavit of support even if she doesn't qualify financially, but a parent can be a joint sponsor.

No.

Budget about $2,500 - $3,000 for the whole thing.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by tom169
I would budget $5k start to finish.
Originally Posted by Noorah101
Budget about $2,500 - $3,000 for the whole thing.
Go with Tom's reply of $5,000. He's been through the process more recently than I have.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Wow $5,000 I really wasn't expecting that ! I read the C1 costs $535!?
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow $5,000 I really wasn't expecting that ! I read the C1 costs $535!?
For CR-1 expect this

Petition fees
visa fees
green card fees
medical fees
Courier fee
transportation (I had 2x return tickets for medical and interview)
possibly time stopping in London (I had to stop one night)
Flights x2 (need to be married first)

It all adds up
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Luckily I am close to London so that part isn't a real issue or cost. This may be but of an ask but can you break down to me roughly what you paid for each of them steps ? This is very disheartening.
Thanks.

Last edited by fouchet89; Jan 24th 2017 at 9:53 am.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:52 am

Luckily I am close to London so that part isn't a real issue or cost. This may be but of an ask but can you break down to me roughly what you paid for each of them steps ? Thanks.
You can find them with a little research.

Petition fees will be listed on www.uscis.gov.
Visa fees will be listed at www.travel.state.gov or the US Embassy London website.
I'm sure someone on this forum has posted what their medical fee was.

Also remember it depends on which visa you go for. The K-1 has a petition fee, a visa fee, and the once inside the USA you have adjustment of status (AOS) to pay for. The CR-1 has a petition fee, visa fee, I-864 fee, and green card production fee.

Both will have the same medical fee and courier fee.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2017, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Luckily I am close to London so that part isn't a real issue or cost. This may be but of an ask but can you break down to me roughly what you paid for each of them steps ? This is very disheartening.
Thanks.
Rene has linked the resources that list fees. The only doctors in England that you can use is called Knightsbridge and they also publish a list on their website.

I went through the K-1 process so slightly different structure to paying from CR-1.

It's never nice to have to pay money over, but some stuff has to be done unfortunately.

US government has a monopoly on immigration to the USA and we're playing by their game.

I've heard it can be equally as expensive going the other way (US to UK).
Old Jan 24th 2017, 10:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I-134 requires only one sponsor and that sponsor doesn't have to be your fiance(e), but can be another US citizen.
Or a US permanent resident.

I-864 always requires the spouse, but another US citizen can help by becoming a joint sponsor.
Or a US permanent resident.

Ian
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:36 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Re the fees... I have just been through the whole process.

This was for IR-1 (the same as CR-1 but for spouses who have been married for more than 2 years on their day of arrival into the USA).

Petition fee was $420 but is now $535.

After the petition was approved it was off to the NVC for visa processing. Visa fee $325, affidavit of support fee $120.

Then off to London for a medical £290. For this you also need a police record check £45. If you have lived in any other country as an adult you will need a police check from there too. Plus a translation if it's not in English.

A few weeks later was another trip to London for the interview. Courier fee is £30 or £35 to get your passport back (but you can collect from a depot for no charge - I did that). When you get your passport back there is the ELIS fee to pay (was $165 but is now $220).

On top of this allow a few hundred for photos, courier fees, ordering verified copies of birth certificates and divorce decrees, translations (if necessary), foreign police certificates (if necessary), travel to London for medical and interview.

You don't have to get married on the USA for a CR-1 visa. Obviously at least one of you will have to travel but it can be anywhere as long as the marriage is legal in the place where it happened.