Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Unhappy marriage (Remarriage?)

Wikiposts

Unhappy marriage (Remarriage?)

Old May 24th 2002, 12:20 am
Carycc

Default Unhappy marriage (Remarriage?)

Let me explain my situation: About three months ago I met a Ukrainain girl who had
seperated from her husband due to a mentally and physicaly abusive relationship. The
seperation was mutual at the time. We really hit it off fell in love, etc.... she
ended up coming and staying with me for a month and a half. In the mean time this guy
decided he wanted her back and put her through a mental rollercoaster and she decided
to go back to him for a little while to make sure her feelings are gone and that she
is doing the rite thing by leaving a man she once was in love with. She never filed
charges on him or filled out anything on abuse she just won't do it. Her husband told
her a bunch of things about INS deporting her and etc... and she actually doesn't
care that much if she does get deported, but would like to stay if she does decide to
divorce him. What are her rites in a situation and also what whould happen if she
divorced him and I married her if that is what happens....

She will be married two years in March...

I would really appreciate some help Jason

Old May 24th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Unhappy marriage (Remarriage?)

"carycc" <[email protected]> wrote

> things about INS deporting her and etc... and she actually doesn't care
that
    > much if she does get deported, but would like to stay if she does decide
to
    > divorce him. What are her rites in a situation and also what whould
happen
    > if she divorced him and I married her if that is what happens....
    >
    > She will be married two years in March...

A lot depends on her current immigration status. If she is a permanent resident
through marriage to a US citizen, it will be conditional because the marriage is less
than two years old. When she got divorced she could file to get the conditions lifted
and would have to provide evidence that the marriage was entered into in good faith.

If you is not a permanent resident, and she originally entered on a K-1 visa, she
will have to leave. If she didn't enter on a K-1 visa she could get divorced, marry
you and file to adjust status that way.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.