Reload this Page >

undocumented applying through marriage

Wikiposts

undocumented applying through marriage

Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default undocumented applying through marriage

is it true that at one time someone that came into the US undocumented was able to pay for a waiver to stay here while applying through marriage?

i had a friend that told me last week she was leaving the US. she was here undocumented but married to a USC. my husband has a cousin that was undocumented, married a USC and paid a waiver to stay.

this girl said she had to leave since she was undocumented. is there some law that changed that once allowed these people to stay via a waiver that is no longer an option?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Waterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant future
Default Re: undocumented applying through marriage

Originally Posted by cmstrick
is it true that at one time someone that came into the US undocumented was able to pay for a waiver to stay here while applying through marriage?

i had a friend that told me last week she was leaving the US. she was here undocumented but married to a USC. my husband has a cousin that was undocumented, married a USC and paid a waiver to stay.

this girl said she had to leave since she was undocumented. is there some law that changed that once allowed these people to stay via a waiver that is no longer an option?
If memory serves correctly, I believe the opportunity was given to undocumented aliens to legalize their status if they met certain requirements for a fee - the act was called a LIFE act. This occured sometime at the end of Clinton's administration, and the time frame to file has ended several years ago (in 2001 I think). I am not aware of anything similar currently available to undocumented immigrants.
If I am wrong, I hope other members will correct me...

Last edited by Waterpony; Aug 6th 2006 at 1:12 am.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: undocumented applying through marriage

Originally Posted by cmstrick
Things have changed---maybe your relative's case went far enough back to benefit from the old way.
The bigger thing would be to let your friend know that there are different ways to approach her situation & she should know *for sure* what she is doing before leaving the US--some things can't be taken back.