Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

UKCs: What was your first job stateside?

UKCs: What was your first job stateside?

Old Oct 27th 2012, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKCs: What was your first job stateside?

Originally Posted by COSPhil
... do you think that the fact I have no Bachelors will prove an issue in that regard?
Hard to say, but my gut reaction says yes, it'll be an issue. That said, it's probably something that can be overcome.

... by a distance learning masters from the UK?
This is probably the more certain path.

Is it still worth also doing the GED?
That depends on what you intend to do with it... but if you have a CHE it pretty much indicates that you have more than just a high school diploma - the problem, of course, is convincing anyone of that. You might want to proactively get your qualifications translated by a service such as WES. If nothing else, it'll give you an idea of where you stand with respect to US-based qualifications.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Civilservant, good luck on your GED exam. I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours. Or should I spell that 'colors'? Must be difficult being apart from your wife. Hope you get to see each other before you move over.

Ian, thanks for the advice. I do have a BA in English from an American college. It's just my teaching qualification that is British. I'm sure I can pass the PRAXIS (for which I will have studied in preparation). The main barrier I foresee to my securing a teaching position is my foreign training and experience. That and my lack of an MA, as you indicate.

My husband isn't averse to higher education. We're just worried we can't afford it and that he will find it hard to find time to study whilst he works full-time, especially as a family man. Definitely worth considering, though. We'll see how it goes!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snufkinette
Civilservant, good luck on your GED exam. I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours. Or should I spell that 'colors'? Must be difficult being apart from your wife. Hope you get to see each other before you move over.
Oh I only got back a week ago from a 3 week visit - next time I see her will be when I walk through arrivals as a US PR!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

1. When did you move to the States?
2. Whereabouts in the States did you live?
3. How long did it take you to find a job?
4. What was the job?
5. Was the job what you were looking for, or was it just something to bring the bread home until you could find the job you wanted?
6. If your answer to the previous question was 'no', have you managed to find work more suited to your skills/desires?
I arrived in Lexington, KY just under 3 weeks ago. I just got my PhD a couple of months ago but all the jobs I want are university level teaching/research jobs that don't start until next September.

In order to bring some money in and keep myself from going insane at home all day, I'm starting a serving job in a "British style" pub on Monday (there's actually nothing British about it other than a couple of Union Jacks and fish & chips on the menu ). I've a friend who works there who got me an interview, which basically consisted of me saying "Nice to meet you" and the manager saying "Oh, you're British? Perfect" .
Old Oct 28th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Civilservant and BubbleChog: going to Georgia and already there, respectively! That's where I grew up! In Hampton, which is in Henry County and near to Jonesboro. We've considered moving to Georgia, as I still have family there, but have shied away due to warnings from several Georgians that jobs are scarce. Too bad, considering the affordability of houses there at the moment! Also, the husband doesn't fancy dealing with Atlanta traffic.

BubbleChog, how do you like Atlanta? Coping all right with the sticky summers?
I mostly like Atlanta , wasn't even on the edge of my radar until I met the TAS. He's originally from NYC, and we were thinking of moving back there to get help from his family when we started ours but the noise and the pollution and the cost of living - no ta!

There's a nice food scene here which suits a greedly little choglet like myself. I don't drive for medical reasons so that's a pain in the proverbial.
The warm weather makes me shrivel up and hide indoors but then that's why God created AC. All in all I think there are worse spots to be a housewife!
Lx
Old Oct 28th 2012, 1:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
In order to bring some money in and keep myself from going insane at home all day, I'm starting a serving job in a "British style" pub on Monday (there's actually nothing British about it other than a couple of Union Jacks and fish & chips on the menu ). I've a friend who works there who got me an interview, which basically consisted of me saying "Nice to meet you" and the manager saying "Oh, you're British? Perfect" .
LOL, good story. Just think, you'll be bringing an air of authenticity to the place!!!

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JSL8610
I arrived in Lexington, KY just under 3 weeks ago. I just got my PhD a couple of months ago but all the jobs I want are university level teaching/research jobs that don't start until next September.

Hear I good one the other day from some comedian, think his name was Milton.

Anyway he said he took a trip to Ireland and went into a pub, nobody would talk to him, the beer was warm and when he asked about food the answer was always, 'we've just stopped serving.'...he thinks it was one of those English themed bars!!

BAck to to your original post I can sense work may be quite hard to come by, I would like to get into the education sector but with quals etc not being recognised it may take a while. I may take a leaf out of your book though and go and see can I get some hours in the local Irish bar.

Out of interest what would a server/bar tender be roughly on a week?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Hear I good one the other day from some comedian, think his name was Milton.

Anyway he said he took a trip to Ireland and went into a pub, nobody would talk to him, the beer was warm and when he asked about food the answer was always, 'we've just stopped serving.'...he thinks it was one of those English themed bars!!
Hahaha, sounds about right

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
BAck to to your original post I can sense work may be quite hard to come by, I would like to get into the education sector but with quals etc not being recognised it may take a while. I may take a leaf out of your book though and go and see can I get some hours in the local Irish bar.

Out of interest what would a server/bar tender be roughly on a week?
Totally depends on the bar. The minimum wage for servers is only around a couple of bucks an hour (depending on the state). The upside is that everyone knows that and tips accordingly so even terrible service usually brings in a ~10% tip. The slightest hint of a smile brings that up a few percent and actually good service brings it up a few more. Five hours behind this bar in the evening pretty much guarantees $100. Serving's a bit more variable depending on the tables you get .
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Oh I only got back a week ago from a 3 week visit - next time I see her will be when I walk through arrivals as a US PR!
Oh, how lovely! That will be a nice feeling. Good luck with your preparations and job hunt.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
I mostly like Atlanta , wasn't even on the edge of my radar until I met the TAS. He's originally from NYC, and we were thinking of moving back there to get help from his family when we started ours but the noise and the pollution and the cost of living - no ta!

There's a nice food scene here which suits a greedly little choglet like myself. I don't drive for medical reasons so that's a pain in the proverbial.
The warm weather makes me shrivel up and hide indoors but then that's why God created AC. All in all I think there are worse spots to be a housewife!
Lx
I wouldn't fancy living in New York, either. Glad you're mostly enjoying your life in Atlanta. Where do you like to eat? Have you been to The Varsity? My husband wasn't too impressed! I think we go because it's tradition rather than because the food is great. Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles was on a food programme he was watching recently. I've passed it, but never been in.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Gannett has a spectacular aura aboutGannett has a spectacular aura aboutGannett has a spectacular aura about

I came to Northern California on a K-1 in January 2008 and got my work authorisation in May 2008. I eventually got a low-end administrative job with a tiny non-profit in October 2009. The position required a bachelor's degree, which I have, but the work was menial and the atmosphere in the office was soul-destroying.

I was eventually let go in January 2012 and spent six thoroughly depressing months looking for work and claiming unemployment. Even with a degree, I found no-one was interested.

But my fortunes did turn around. I started working voluntarily at the local District Attorney's office, in the IT department, mainly scanning documents and duplicating CDs and DVDs for use in trials. I was interviewed and had to go through a thorough background check even for this volunteer position. After about a month, they announced that a full-time, paid-with-benefits version of the position was being created, and I applied and was eventually offered the job. I have been there as a paid employee for 2 months, and am enjoying it thoroughly. I work with great people (even if some of them try to speak with English accents!).

I feel extremely fortunate to have a job, as Sacramento's job market is still very weak.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

mancave3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in IT support and I had no issues getting work. My CV experience was enough for the companies to be happy. I would advise re-writing the CV to their resume format that they are used to.
Experience counts for a lot in the IT world.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't fancy living in New York, either. Glad you're mostly enjoying your life in Atlanta. Where do you like to eat? Have you been to The Varsity? My husband wasn't too impressed! I think we go because it's tradition rather than because the food is great. Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles was on a food programme he was watching recently. I've passed it, but never been in.
I end up eating around Buford Highway a lot of the time as hubby is Chinese American. Random little holes in the wall with no English menu!

I've developed a terrible addiction to BBQ and at least I can order that myself. My friends don't really rate Gladys Knights so I've never been but I quite like Mary Macks For Southern Food esp when we're hosting out of towners.

The Varsity was an experience, SO loud, your right the food isn't impressive but you've gotta go at least once

My Fave spot is my sushi regular Hayakawa's Sushi House, again on Buford Highway, it's pricey but the quality is AMAZING. Much better than the much more expensive sushi we ate in NYC recently.
Lx
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:22 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

It's been many years since I last visited Atlanta, but for some reason the sushi is amazing. Who would have thought?

We just put in the I-130 for my UKC husband. We've talked about where he will work. I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, so naturally shipping and oil companies are the big businesses here. Compared to most of the country and indeed most of the world, there is a lot of work. He has a decent work history and good references, even though the job market on the Ireland/NI border is, um, $#!+, and he's been out of work for a while. Even so we don't think he will have a lot of trouble, honestly.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
I end up eating around Buford Highway a lot of the time as hubby is Chinese American. Random little holes in the wall with no English menu!

I've developed a terrible addiction to BBQ and at least I can order that myself. My friends don't really rate Gladys Knights so I've never been but I quite like Mary Macks For Southern Food esp when we're hosting out of towners.

The Varsity was an experience, SO loud, your right the food isn't impressive but you've gotta go at least once

My Fave spot is my sushi regular Hayakawa's Sushi House, again on Buford Highway, it's pricey but the quality is AMAZING. Much better than the much more expensive sushi we ate in NYC recently.
Lx
I do miss Chinese food in America. I hate the Chinese food here. I'm sure the places your husband takes you to are better than the ones I used to frequent in Georgia, but anything beats the mega oily variety of Chinese food on offer here!

My husband adores pulled pork. He's only been to Georgia with me once, and I'm afraid we didn't get to Mary Mac's, but I love their food. Maybe next time.

How old is your baby now? Are you 'Mommy' or 'Mummy'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.