Reload this Page >

UK to US - Police Certificate/Interview Question

UK to US - Police Certificate/Interview Question

Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

markusm15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US - Police Certificate/Interview Question

Howdy!

It's funny, the last time I posted on here was regarding whether or not I should go over to the US on an ESTA and get married - I did so, we're now married, and my visa interview is at the end of the month! Good times.

I have a few questions though, so some help would be great. For the record I'm going from the UK to the US.

1. In the application process I've already handed in original documents, including a police certificate. Will I need to take another police certificate/any of the documents we've already handed in (marriage license, birth certificates, etc), or will I not need them? The interview confirmation letter stated that these had already been given to the NVC and sent along to the embassy, so it seems a little odd that I'd need to have them in hand again. But I want to be cautious about this, because I really don't want to have to wait for another interview.

2. What kind of questions can I expect at the interview? I understand it's a little difficult as it could be anything - I'm assuming it'll be along the lines of how I met my wife, future plans, etc. That's what our attorney said anyway. (She also said 'they might ask, they might not' to my previous question, which is why I'm asking here).

And that's all. I'd really appreciate the help
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US - Police Certificate/Interview Question

Originally Posted by markusm15
Howdy!

2. What kind of questions can I expect at the interview? I understand it's a little difficult as it could be anything - I'm assuming it'll be along the lines of how I met my wife, future plans, etc. That's what our attorney said anyway.

And that's all. I'd really appreciate the help
My wife and I weren't asked any questions about our marriage or anything relating to it. The officer chatted generally with us and our lawyer while he read our file. It was over in minutes. Nothing at all what we given to expect having read about it on forums.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If you submitted original plus a photocopy to the NVC, as instructed, you should not need to take additional copies to the interview and you should be given your originals back. However, it would be a wise idea to have a photocopy of everything with you in the unlikely event that something has gone missing and needs to be replaced.

Regards, JEff
1. In the application process I've already handed in original documents, including a police certificate. Will I need to take another police certificate/any of the documents we've already handed in (marriage license, birth certificates, etc), or will I not need them? The interview confirmation letter stated that these had already been given to the NVC and sent along to the embassy, so it seems a little odd that I'd need to have them in hand again. But I want to be cautious about this, because I really don't want to have to wait for another interview.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If you submitted original plus a photocopy to the NVC, as instructed, you should not need to take additional copies to the interview and you should be given your originals back. However, it would be a wise idea to have a photocopy of everything with you in the unlikely event that something has gone missing and needs to be replaced.

Regards, JEff
+1
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Okay, thank you! I think I'll just take them with me just to be safe, haha.

I have another question actually - I didn't even think about it until now and it's worrying me somewhat. My wife didn't make enough money to sponsor me - her mother ended up being the joint-sponsor. However, just recently my wife has lost her job. She is currently looking for another. Will this be an issue? :/
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My wife didn't make enough money to sponsor me...
Your wife is your sponsor, whether or not she can afford it financially.

However, just recently my wife has lost her job. She is currently looking for another. Will this be an issue?
You have a joint sponsor; your wife's income (or lack thereof) will not be an issue.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your wife is your sponsor, whether or not she can afford it financially.

You have a joint sponsor; your wife's income (or lack thereof) will not be an issue.

Ian
Apologies for the wonky wording, and thanks for clearing that up. It's just at that stage where every little thing feels like it could be a problem, haha.