British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   UK & US citizens living in UK looking to move to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/uk-us-citizens-living-uk-looking-move-us-924157/)

Ian1currie72 May 28th 2019 7:26 pm

Re: UK & US citizens living in UK looking to move to US

Great advice ,my wife and I with my stepson are thinking of moving to the US but didn't want to go through the separation process, so if its possible to stay together and move over together that's fab.
also great to hear that we can get someone who lives in the states to sponser us well me as I am British. 1st though my wife will get her citizenship, for the UK ,although I am sure it asks that you are not going to be moving out of the country for a period of time if you are to get citizenship?

BritInParis May 28th 2019 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ian1currie72 (Post 12690477)
Great advice ,my wife and I with my stepson are thinking of moving to the US but didn't want to go through the separation process, so if its possible to stay together and move over together that's fab.
also great to hear that we can get someone who lives in the states to sponser us well me as I am British. 1st though my wife will get her citizenship, for the UK ,although I am sure it asks that you are not going to be moving out of the country for a period of time if you are to get citizenship?

It asks you which country you intend to live in after naturalisation. Spouses of British citizens do not have to intend to live in the UK.

Ian1currie72 May 28th 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12690511)
It asks you which country you intend to live in after naturalisation. Spouses of British citizens do not have to intend to live in the UK.

So my wife, the American, here in the UK, whom is getting her UK citizenship will not have to live here or say she is going to live here after she get her british citizenship?
Just to clarify.
And thank you for your comment.

BritInParis May 28th 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ian1currie72 (Post 12690542)
So my wife, the American, here in the UK, whom is getting her UK citizenship will not have to live here or say she is going to live here after she get her british citizenship?
Just to clarify.
And thank you for your comment.

Correct. She can answer ‘United States’ to that question and it won’t cause a problem.

Texit Jun 14th 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12684040)
Which visas has she held until this point?

She’s currently on a Tier 2 visa, prior to that she was a student here.

Texit Jun 14th 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies from people so far. We’ve now submitted our I-130 and so begins the long wait to complete stage 1.

BritInParis Jun 14th 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Texit (Post 12698172)
She’s currently on a Tier 2 visa, prior to that she was a student here.

Tier 2 General? For how long?