British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   UK & US citizens living in UK looking to move to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/uk-us-citizens-living-uk-looking-move-us-924157/)

Texit Apr 14th 2019 6:39 pm

UK & US citizens living in UK looking to move to US

Hello!

Recently married couple residing in the UK looking for a change of scenery and a US green card.

A question regarding the application process as my wife has lived over here for nine years now and no longer has a home back in the states. We know we will most likely need an affidavit of support, but will this negate the need for having a job and housing before we arrive? Can we apply for my green card and affidavit of support and then move without having a job/house waiting?

Would be good to hear from anyone who’s gone through a similar experience! Thanks in advance!

Noorah101 Apr 14th 2019 6:52 pm

Re: UK & US citizens living in UK looking to move to US

Originally Posted by Texit (Post 12670732)
Hello!

Hello, and Welcome to BE! :)

A question regarding the application process as my wife has lived over here for nine years now and no longer has a home back in the states. We know we will most likely need an affidavit of support,...
Not "most likely", but "most definitely".

...but will this negate the need for having a job and housing before we arrive?
It's unrelated. Go to www.uscis.gov and look at the I-864 Affidavit of Support form and instructions, and the I-864P poverty guideline figures. UK income won't count unless it continues from the same source inside the USA, but if you have enough in assets (cash in the bank works best) or a Joint Sponsor in the USA who earns enough (or has enough in assets) for their own household plus the immigrant, those can be used.

Can we apply for my green card and affidavit of support and then move without having a job/house waiting?
Terminology is important in the immigration world. You aren't actually applying for a green card, but rather an Immigrant Visa. The Affidavit of Support is part of the visa application, so you must have it to take with you to your visa interview. But yes, you can go through the whole immigrant visa process without having a job/house waiting in the USA.

Rene

tom169 Apr 14th 2019 7:57 pm

Suggest she looks into British citizenship if she hasn't got it already .

civilservant Apr 15th 2019 10:30 am

USC Spouse will need to provide intent to domicile in the US

Rete Apr 15th 2019 12:12 pm

The issue of proving intent to return to the US is normally not a problem with the US Embassy in London. They are one of the few that don't ask for this proof. If she feels more comfortable having proof, she can sign up with an employment agency or a real estate agent.

If she has not been paying her US taxes in the years she has been in the UK, she needs to file the back taxes asap.

Rete Apr 15th 2019 12:14 pm

Also, please note:

Direct Consulate Filing will be ending soon. If you are intent on moving to the US, she needs to file the I-130 quickly in order to take advantage of this faster way to help you obtain an IR-1 visa.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Texit (Post 12670732)
….. Can we apply for my green card CR-1 and affidavit of support and then move without having a job/house waiting? ….

Yes, that's what we did (my wife is the USC), except we self-sponsored using assets.

After nine years of married life, do you not have enough accumulated assets to self-sponsor using assets? Say, equity in your home, plus vehicles to sell, and/or any other non-pension savings?

Texit May 14th 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks for the responses, very helpful so far.

Texit May 14th 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12671065)
Also, please note:

Direct Consulate Filing will be ending soon. If you are intent on moving to the US, she needs to file the I-130 quickly in order to take advantage of this faster way to help you obtain an IR-1 visa.

When does Direct Consulate filing end or how can we find out? We have the I-130 form filled out and ready to go.

Noorah101 May 14th 2019 10:26 pm

I don't think there's an official date. Go ahead and submit your I-130.

Rene

BritInParis May 14th 2019 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12670763)
Suggest she looks into British citizenship if she hasn't got it already .

This is important advice. If she has ILR then you should apply as soon as possible.

civilservant May 15th 2019 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Texit (Post 12683741)

When does Direct Consulate filing end or how can we find out? We have the I-130 form filled out and ready to go.

There has been no formal date announced that I am aware of, it was more of a generic 'in the next few months'

I would advise that you get your application in ASAP.

Texit May 15th 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12683804)
This is important advice. If she has ILR then you should apply as soon as possible.

Unfortunately her residency in the UK. falls short of the 10+ years required albeit only by a couple of years.

Texit May 15th 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12683991)
There has been no formal date announced that I am aware of, it was more of a generic 'in the next few months'

I would advise that you get your application in ASAP.

ok thanks, we’re just in the process of getting he last few documents together and should be getting the application in within the next week or so.

BritInParis May 15th 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Texit (Post 12684030)
Unfortunately her residency in the UK. falls short of the 10+ years required albeit only by a couple of years.

Which visas has she held until this point?

Ian1currie72 May 28th 2019 7:26 pm

Great advice ,my wife and I with my stepson are thinking of moving to the US but didn't want to go through the separation process, so if its possible to stay together and move over together that's fab.
also great to hear that we can get someone who lives in the states to sponser us well me as I am British. 1st though my wife will get her citizenship, for the UK ,although I am sure it asks that you are not going to be moving out of the country for a period of time if you are to get citizenship?

BritInParis May 28th 2019 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ian1currie72 (Post 12690477)
Great advice ,my wife and I with my stepson are thinking of moving to the US but didn't want to go through the separation process, so if its possible to stay together and move over together that's fab.
also great to hear that we can get someone who lives in the states to sponser us well me as I am British. 1st though my wife will get her citizenship, for the UK ,although I am sure it asks that you are not going to be moving out of the country for a period of time if you are to get citizenship?

It asks you which country you intend to live in after naturalisation. Spouses of British citizens do not have to intend to live in the UK.

Ian1currie72 May 28th 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12690511)
It asks you which country you intend to live in after naturalisation. Spouses of British citizens do not have to intend to live in the UK.

So my wife, the American, here in the UK, whom is getting her UK citizenship will not have to live here or say she is going to live here after she get her british citizenship?
Just to clarify.
And thank you for your comment.

BritInParis May 28th 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ian1currie72 (Post 12690542)
So my wife, the American, here in the UK, whom is getting her UK citizenship will not have to live here or say she is going to live here after she get her british citizenship?
Just to clarify.
And thank you for your comment.

Correct. She can answer ‘United States’ to that question and it won’t cause a problem.

Texit Jun 14th 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12684040)
Which visas has she held until this point?

She’s currently on a Tier 2 visa, prior to that she was a student here.

Texit Jun 14th 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies from people so far. We’ve now submitted our I-130 and so begins the long wait to complete stage 1.

BritInParis Jun 14th 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Texit (Post 12698172)
She’s currently on a Tier 2 visa, prior to that she was a student here.

Tier 2 General? For how long?