UK Police Caution for Cannabis - K1 Visa

Wikiposts

UK Police Caution for Cannabis - K1 Visa

Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:35 am
Just Joined

timpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Police Caution for Cannabis - K1 Visa

Hi

I am way down the line in my K1 visa application to marry in the USA in august. I just got my police record and there is a caution for possession of cannabis on there from 2000, I remember the incident but didn't realise that it was a formal caution and could show up 9 years later so I hadnt mentioned it in my visa application thus far. I have just sent off all my completed forms to the embassy and should be recieving my appointment date. I have my medical tomorrow. How will this affect my case? Will it set it back?

please can anyone advise???

thankyou!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Caution for Cannabis - K1 Visa

Originally Posted by timpat
How will this affect my case? Will it set it back?
No idea what will happen but lots of bad things could happen. Isn't there a question on at least one of the forms that asks if you've ever been arrested? Can't remember what's on the forms. If there is and you answered no, the combo of lying and drugs is not something I would want to deal with, especially not without a lawyer.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, you've got major problems.
Go over to the US immigration forum and start reading the pinned CIMT thread.

You need a plan on how to deal with this once you get to the Embassy; the only thing worse than drug arrests/convictions for getting into the US is lying about them.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
IMO, you've got major problems.
Go over to the US immigration forum and start reading the pinned CIMT thread.

You need a plan on how to deal with this once you get to the Embassy; the only thing worse than drug arrests/convictions for getting into the US is lying about them.
Hi:

I don't see any CIMT here. I do see an "admission" of drug defense. The error on the form will be fixed by "timely retraction.'

I see no future problems, other than procedural ones, in obtaining future visitor and and other non-immigrant visas. On the MJ, big problem on the immigrant visa side.

Of course, the EXACT crime for which the caution was given will have to be determined. And this is more of a legal exercise.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I don't see any CIMT here. I do see an "admission" of drug defense. The error on the form will be fixed by "timely retraction.'
Huh? I do see an admission of a drug offense ... where do you see a defense? What is he defending?

Yes it can be retracted and the new information given.

I see no future problems, other than procedural ones, in obtaining future visitor and and other non-immigrant visas. On the MJ, big problem on the immigrant visa side.
Why are first saying Meauxma is wrong in saying he has a problem when you then go further on (2/3 of the way through your reply) to state the same thing? And why is it not a CIMT?

Of course, the EXACT crime for which the caution was given will have to be determined. And this is more of a legal exercise.
By exact crime to do you mean the weight of the marijuana? I believe all that you are saying is basically what has been said by others.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm guessing you meant 'drug offense'?
I'm not calling CIMT, but I do recommend he read that thread. Are you saying re: future problems that the K-1 will be OK because it is a non-immigrant application?

Re: timely retraction, exactly why OP needs assistance. That is something obvious to you (the timely retraction thing) and I have heard of it. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to accomplish it correctly (well, maybe a glimmer) and I've never seen any DIY instructions online.

Therefore, in plain English, I stand by "major problem" & "need a plan".